help with film please!!!

Name
Zak Millard
Edit My Images
Yes
hi iv just bought a canon ae-1 programe, im 15 so a little young to remember film cameras properly so has any one got any tips for exposures, loading film, keeping film and anything i should know, it would help thanks!!!!

cool thanks mate, im just looking for general tips aswell just to help me out a bit because im going to go get a battery today so i wanted to make sure its all in working order lol

Provided the old battery hasn't expired and leaked in the compartment i'm sure it'll fire up OK. I can't remember the metering system on these (about 20 years since i used my dad's old one!) but if i remember correctly there's a needle in the viewfinder ?

Edited - not as old as i remember, no needle !! When in program mode the camera sets the exposure and shutter speed, the exposure is shown as a f value illuminated on the right hand side of the viewfinder .

looks like that manual link is either down or very slow at present - give it a try later or tomorrow if you don't get anywhere.

camera manual link seems to be ok now.

as to film ? given the duller conditions of late i'd suggest you go for something with a higher asa value (light sensitivty) such as 400asa for a starter to test the camera out. B&W is a great departure from what you are used to with a digital camera, so maybe try some Ilford Delta ?

www.7dayshop.com (or ebay for bulk purchases) is a good place for cheap film.

Watch for processing costs on B&W though. There are some B&W films that can use the C-41 colour developing process used widely on the highstreet (Asda,Tesco, Clickphoto etc ) although you can end up with some colour casts on the film from the use of colour developing agents and colour print media. Fuji Neopan is an example of such a film. True B&W processing tends to be mail service nowadays, peak-imaging, lab35.com for example.

camera manual link seems to be ok now.

Fuji Neopan is an example of such a film. True B&W processing tends to be mail service nowadays, peak-imaging, lab35.com for example.

some neopan is c41 some is not , ( 400 cn is )

thanks you guys for the help. iv successfully loaded and used a full film but my exposures where horribly off so the pics were bad but it all works. thank you! now i need more film and a better knowledge of my exposures lol

Back