Hirsute

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Still not a confirmed ID on this hairy caterpillar (someone suggested ruby tiger moth) but it looks much too pale to be that...

palecat01_4k_1800-X3.jpg

palecat02_4k_1800-X3.jpg

palecat02crop_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.

Very nice Paul. I found one pretty similar last year but didn't get to the bottom of what sort it was:

Unknown pale hairy Caterpillar by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Best guess was Hickory Tussock Moth Caterpillar, but it didn't look quite right to me

I know you did - it came up on a Google search with your image so I had a look!

My ID group so far haven't come up with a name yet either Simon, so we'll have to wait and see if someone can get us our definitive answer.

Paul.

I know you did - it came up on a Google search with your image so I had a look!

My ID group so far haven't come up with a name yet either Simon, so we'll have to wait and see if someone can get us our definitive answer.

Paul.

So it does! :) Be interesting to see if there's a definitive id

Hi Paul, they are really pale until towards the end of their penultimate instar, it's only when they are in their final instar they become the more familiar dark hairy caterpillars that are often seen rapidly transversing roads and paths in late summer. An image search for Buff Ermine larvae will show just how pale they are in the early instars.

Hi Paul, they are really pale until towards the end of their penultimate instar, it's only when they are in their final instar they become the more familiar dark hairy caterpillars that are often seen rapidly transversing roads and paths in late summer. An image search for Buff Ermine larvae will show just how pale they are in the early instars.

Cheers m8. Me and Simon were unsure, so your help is appreciated. I'll make sure he knows. (y)

@Son_of_Thor

Paul.

Thanks Adrian, I hadn't realised there was such a pronounced change in colour as they grow up - good to know for future reference. This one had me completely stumped and I'd discounted quite a few possibilities :)

Thanks Paul, good to get confirmation and learn something new :)

Last edited:
Back