Hovering Fungus Gnat

Edit My Images
No
This shot was impossible to take with my 90 mm macro lens, as I simply couldn't keep the gnat in frame.

I switched to a 300 mm lens with macro extensions so I had more room to manoeuvre.

https://flic.kr/p/G2kAvx

Attachments

• hovering fly.jpg
    hovering fly.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 22
  • hovering fly.jpg
    hovering fly.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 24
  • hovering fly.jpg
    hovering fly.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 24
  • hovering fly tds.jpg
    hovering fly tds.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 23
Hovering fungus gnat is a hover fly leg dangling. Fun to shoot in flight and can become an obsession to get right. Nice attempts.

Hovering fungus gnat is a hover fly leg dangling. Fun to shoot in flight and can become an obsession to get right. Nice attempts.

Sorry this was way too small for a hoverfly. With the naked eye, all I could see was the sunlight reflecting off its wings. Very slightly larger than a midge way smaller than a hoverfly.

Sorry this was way too small for a hoverfly. With the naked eye, all I could see was the sunlight reflecting off its wings. Very slightly larger than a midge way smaller than a hoverfly.
Looking at the photo and zooming in it is definitely a male hoverfly, possibly one of the Eristalis species, they also leg dangle when hovering but l have no idea why they do it. Fungus gnats have long antenna and small heads.

Back