I was surprised how much editing I could do from a bad start!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
So you may have seen my macro image of the willow flea beetle (if you didn't, it's in the macro thread).

But this is what has shocked me - big style!

My old 70D (Digic V) never gave me the exposure latitude that this Digic X processor in the EOS R10 seems capable of. Perhaps it's a one-off - maybe it's just my editing beforehand, but to get an image from the RAW file took me by surprise!

I am showing you the photo (jpg's) of this below, make of it what you will, but feel free to discuss...

Note: The flash did not trigger for this image...

1) Straight out of the camera into Lightroom...

2) Used Lightroom auto adjust, then tweaked a little here and there...

3) Imported into Photoshop CC and ran through Topaz Denoise before reducing size & sharpening for web.

1)

OOC-XL.jpg

2)

auto-XL.jpg

3)

green_beetle_small_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Really folks, to have rescued a photo like this from a 2013 build DSLR (the 70D) would I'm sure not have been anywhere like as useable.

I am impressed with the new camera, as tough as it seems to be getting used to, albeit that it is still driving me nuts as I discover new features that I never realised existed!!!

Paul.

Well done.

I find that at lower ISO's you can rescue a lot. At higher ISO's or in some artificial lighting things can be worse though.

Well done.

I find that at lower ISO's you can rescue a lot. At higher ISO's or in some artificial lighting things can be worse though.

This was 200 ISO, but no light hardly. Still even now I can't believe how clean and sharp I was able to get it. My old 70d would have had artifacts and horrid bits everywhere!

Paul.

It's always amazin what you can do from RAW in high dynamic situations too where yu might have thought bracketing a good idea (e.g. Bright skies).
Often as not the result from a single file looks more pleasing

Often as not the result from a single file looks more pleasing
There should be zero difference except for noise if done properly

This was 200 ISO, but no light hardly. Still even now I can't believe how clean and sharp I was able to get it. My old 70d would have had artifacts and horrid bits everywhere!

Paul.

I had the 300D, 10D, 20D and 5D and lifting the shadows wasn't wasn't really a good idea with any of them. Times have changed for the better with both the kit and the processing software.

That is impressive for a Canon aps-c sensor normally it’s full of blotch colour blobs.
Indeed. They must now have an equivalent of Denoise AI hardcoded in the CPU. I believe all recent cameras use one, and incidentally the like of Nikon Z9 tone it down just a little to leave you more choice between extra detail or or less noise in post. Nice to see Canon caught up in this area.

Back