ID please, Hoverfly?

They look very similar to the little fellas i've been chasing around my garden lately. I'm ABSOLUTELY no expert however I think they are called a Tapered Drone fly (Eristalis Pertinax). BTW, your efforts are much better than mine.(y)

It looks very much like one I photographed this week which was identified as an Eristalis Pertinax as @Mac7117 says. Apparently lots about at the moment.
Way better than my shot too!

The answer is Yes, Drone fly (Common name) Eristalis sp for the more technical people.
Nice catch and not easy.

PS, there is a ID thread here somewhere for all your insect ID`s.

It is not the drone fly (Eristalis tenax) because that has an all dark hind tibia, this is Eristalis pertinax, the hind tibia is pale in the basal half and the front and middle tarsi ("feet") are yellow.

Eristalis tenax overwinters as fertilised females, so we get a peak of them coming out early (these days, that usually means Feb). You rarely see males at this time 'casuse they die after fertilisation and before the winter. E. pertinax overwinters as a puparium, so they start to hatch a bit later - usually March-early April and both sexes come out then. Males characteristically hold "territories", hovering close to flowereing shrubs, etc where females are likely to come to feed. So you see a lot of these males hovering away and repeatedly coming back to the same air space at the moment.

Last edited:
Thank you for your info, Alf. I'll have a read and look into flash. I've got a Raynox 250 arriving this week so I'm keen to try more actual macro. I've only got built in flash at the moment; I'm looking to upgrade my camera so don't want to buy a flash until I get a camera. But I'll keep it in mind, thank you.

Back