Inexpensive Canon full frame, best value for money?

Name
Steve, Coventry, England
Edit My Images
Yes
After a discussion I had, been tempted to try one just to prove (or disprove) a point.

Looking at the options, my reading leads to the 5D Mk11.
If I was choosing, it would be the MkIV, but the price is way too high, and the MkIII is quite a lot more too.

Looking at ebay completed items, there have been quite a lot going for £200 or less that look reasonable with shutter counts 35k and under.

Reason I'm looking at Canon is that I have some Canon full frame lenses.

Are they reasonable, or would there be a huge improvement getting a MkIII?

Are they reasonable, or would there be a huge improvement getting a MkIII?
I was really pleased with my 5D mark 1, so I would imagine the Mark 2 would be pretty good.

The 6D original is the best value full frame. I know, I still am using mine. :banana: Secondhand they are about £300-£400.

My last Canon was a 5d Mk 2 and it was fine. The only drawback, which was not a great problem was frame rate when shooting motorsport but it was not too bad, probably because I did not do a lot other than that it was great.
I only sold it when I switched to Fuji because of weight if I had not done that I would still have it

Do you have a good relationship with a decent camera shop? If so, do they have an FF Canon body they could let you have "on approval" for a couple of days?

Our wedding was shot with a 5D II and I ended up processing the pictures, my HO is that apart from the shallow DoF my Panasonic GX80 gave better image quality so if overall IQ could disappoint you I'd say go for something newer.

OTOH. When I had the original 5D I thought I'd never want a better camera and I would trade a bit of image quality for the ability to shoot with wide aperture lenses at up to 1/8,000 without the use of ND's and this respect the earlier cameras have the edge over the 6D as AFAIK the 6D only goes to 1/4,000 which could mean using ND's if attempting to shoot at wide aperture in good light or selecting lower than 100 ISO's if they are available.

5D2 I think is at the sweet spot, only downside for me was the single card slot really but I take the tech as it is / was and have fond memories (and photos) from it.

I did once see a 5D4 for like £650, it was REALLY worn but working.

The 6D original is the best value full frame. I know, I still am using mine. :banana: Secondhand they are about £300-£400.

It may be, it takes SD cards that is an advantage, and the dynamic range is better, but at nearly 2-3 times the price of a MkII, I don't think I want to go that way. Thanks anyway

My last Canon was a 5d Mk 2 and it was fine. The only drawback, which was not a great problem was frame rate when shooting motorsport but it was not too bad, probably because I did not do a lot other than that it was great.
I only sold it when I switched to Fuji because of weight if I had not done that I would still have it

Normally fps would be a consideration for me, but for this it isn't too important, same with the weight. But good to know it's OK

Do you have a good relationship with a decent camera shop? If so, do they have an FF Canon body they could let you have "on approval" for a couple of days?

What's a camera shop? :)
No, nothing round here at all.

Don't know if that would help me here, as I would need to get to know it.

5D2 I think is at the sweet spot, only downside for me was the single card slot really but I take the tech as it is / was and have fond memories (and photos) from it.

I did once see a 5D4 for like £650, it was REALLY worn but working.
Thanks, that is what I felt, and "I was really pleased with my 5D mark 1, so I would imagine the Mark 2 would be pretty good." goes along with it.

Our wedding was shot with a 5D II and I ended up processing the pictures, my HO is that apart from the shallow DoF my Panasonic GX80 gave better image quality so if overall IQ could disappoint you I'd say go for something newer.

OTOH. When I had the original 5D I thought I'd never want a better camera and I would trade a bit of image quality for the ability to shoot with wide aperture lenses at up to 1/8,000 without the use of ND's and this respect the earlier cameras have the edge over the 6D as AFAIK the 6D only goes to 1/4,000 which could mean using ND's if attempting to shoot at wide aperture in good light or selecting lower than 100 ISO's if they are available.
That is part of what I want to prove/disprove for myself :)

Thanks, that is what I felt, and "I was really pleased with my 5D mark 1, so I would imagine the Mark 2 would be pretty good." goes along with it.

Yes, it's a better sensor, but the AF was basically the same as mk1. It also had a better LCD and the camera can shoot 1080p video which was a ground breaking thing at the time.

odIa10T.jpg

1JmLZZX.jpg

8hnONY5.jpg

Once seen, it can't be unseen! The bride's wedding ring in that first shot looks like she's got a tab on the go!

I don't think you'll get a much better value Canon FF camera than the 5D2. Possibly, the 6DMK1 is in the running too.

There may be newer, more advanced cameras around now but the 5D2 was a good camera when it was released.......... it still is!

5d3. For an extra 50-100 you are getting buckets more performance. There is not even any comparison.

It is all pointless unless you have decent glass to put on it

5d3. For an extra 50-100 you are getting buckets more performance. There is not even any comparison.

It is all pointless unless you have decent glass to put on it

I would echo this. I loved my 5d, but the AF was lacking and I believe it wasn't improved until the 3rd gen.

Just to shake things up a bit - 1Ds mark III. Bulletproof and a joy to use.
IT is actually not a bad call at all, but I would still argue 5D3 has a slight edge in IQ and even slightly better (as in newer) AF. The main advantages are tougher build quality (if not destroyed by this point), a nice integrated grip and higher voltages to drive those very long lenses

That's all pretty minor differences until you consider 5D3 is magic lantern compatible and 1DsIII (or 5DIV) is not, and that is personally the only reason I so desperately hang on to my copy.

How about the 5D mark 1? Not sure what you want to do with it but I really like the files it produces.(looks like I missed some posts)

Last edited:
I shot with a 5D2 for several years late 2010-2014ish.

Worked pretty well for me from what I recall. Landscapes, kids, bit of track days..... Managed to print reasonable sizes from it to as far as I remember.

Depends on what you want to use them for. Used a couple of mk1 's years ago. Later was using a mk2 and now a mark 4 with the 2 as a backup. Images were good. Reason for latest change was being able to shoot 60fps video and remote commanding the camera for elevated work (I shoot property and architecture). If you just want it for stills and don't need those things, a mark 2 will do you well. In my experience, the mark 1 was a good camera and was easily able to produce printable high res files, but there did seem to be a significant improvement in dynamic range between the mk 1 and mk 2 (whether that was in to my eyes, or due to technology changes, not sure). There was significant reduction in noise in low light / high ISO between the mark 1 and mark 2. The screen was noticeably better between the mk 1 and 2. From memory there was a defect on the mk 1 that the mirror would come free from its cradle if the adhesive failed. A service centre could fix this assuming it did not break. Frame rates on mk4 better than either of the other 2, although it isn't really a deciding factor for me - might be for you however. Never used a mk 3 so don't know how it compares.

So depends really on what you want to use it for, whether you need high iso, frame rates, video etc. Everyone is different.

I think this has broken my plans !

I know that people have criticised their methods, however I have found the results they get match what I have found.

The difference between the Mk2 and the Mk3 is huge.

It obviously gets less noticeable as the ISO decreases, and the JPEG depends on the cameras processor.

The M50 and 70D are included only because we have had them (still have the 70D)

cpr.jpg

cpj.jpg

I think this has broken my plans !

I know that people have criticised their methods, however I have found the results they get match what I have found.

The difference between the Mk2 and the Mk3 is huge.

It obviously gets less noticeable as the ISO decreases, and the JPEG depends on the cameras processor.

The M50 and 70D are included only because we have had them (still have the 70D)

View attachment 407234

View attachment 407233

There is one on Park camera under £389....you are right, for that money, get the Mk3....

There is one on Park camera under £389....you are right, for that money, get the Mk3....
I can't see it, but that seems about right, there have been lots going on ebay between 350-400 and even down to 300. Didn't look at any details, but will now be watching what come up.
When you are patient on ebay, there are bargains to be had :)

I can't see it, but that seems about right, there have been lots going on ebay between 350-400 and even down to 300. Didn't look at any details, but will now be watching what come up.
When you are patient on ebay, there are bargains to be had :)

Removing eBay from the search so you at least get a warranty, 2 from LCE and 4 from Park all under £400, not to mention MPB

Back