insect ? on garden weed

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
one from this morning ,minute insect? on a weed in the garden .not as sharp as i would like as the winds got up and i,m only a couple of hundred yards from the sea with nothing in front of the house .taken on the 80d again which has helped .hand held shot
sparkles by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I know what it is like being in a windy location. Like you we are close to a large body of water - the Severn Estuary in our case. We get off-shore breeze and also the prevailing westerlies. Like Chris says, flash can freeze motion. However, at 1/640 sec I suspect you were using a fast enough shutter speed to freeze wind-induced motion. The more likely issue may be getting the centre of focus in the right place - in a breeze/wind your chosen focus centre on the subject may have moved away from the centre of the plane of focus by the time the image is captured. What I do is to take lots of shots (if the subject sticks around long enough). I have got decent enough shots even in quite strong winds doing this. In a stiff breeze you might have to throw away 10 or 20 or more to find a good one, and sometimes none of them will have worked out right, but I find I usually get one that will do. If possible (more with flowers but I'll try it with insects on flowers too) I wait for the flower/foliage to slow down momentarily. I doubt I ever catch it completely at rest in a breeze, but if it is only moving slowly then you have a much better chance of success.

I do the same when shutter speeds have to be slower than I like, which in natural light is quite often. (These days I tend to use flash almost all the time for insects etc, but I use natural light almost all the time for flowers.) With insects etc I take multiple shots even in still conditions with a good shutter speed, because when working hand-held (which I do most of the time now) I get some variation in exactly where the centre of focus falls even in the best conditions, and small differences in where the centre of focus falls can make a big difference to the look of an image.

Back