Insect selection

Brilliant.
Any chance you could tell me what equipment was used and broadly the exif data?

Impressive work, Ryan! Bravo!

Brilliant.
Any chance you could tell me what equipment was used and broadly the exif data?
Thanks Tony, exif should be visible if you have a reader installed but if not, They were all shot on a Canon 600d with a Sigma 150mm 2.8 macro:
#1 is f8 1/640 iso200,
# 2&4 were f11 1/200 iso100 with lighting from a yn24-ex twin flash and a diy diffuser,
#3 is f 5.6 1/600 iso800

Impressive work, Ryan! Bravo!
Thanks Kodiak, most appreciated.:)

Lovely set Ryan
The cricket is my fave the light is a bit harsh on the snipe fly.

Very nice set of photos there.
I always use a flash and I live in a much sunnier place.

Very nice set of photos there.
I always use a flash and I live in a much sunnier place.
Thanks Graham, 9 out of 10 times I bring a flash as well. When I left that day it was bright but overcast which is usually ideal for flashless macro togging but the clouds quickly dissipated and I was left with a blue skied scorcher and all the harsh light that entails.

The scorpion fly is particularly fantastic - but all great

A stunning set, that scorpion fly is outstanding!
I can see me buying the Yongnuo YN24, from the reviews it looks a great bit of kit.

A stunning set, that scorpion fly is outstanding!
I can see me buying the Yongnuo YN24, from the reviews it looks a great bit of kit.
Thanks Wozzaaah, the scorpion fly was shot without a flash but I would definitely recommend the yn24-ex. I never used the original Canon version so cannot compare but with the price difference the choice was easy and am very happy with its functionality so far. Only thing which is slightly annoying is the lack of off the shelf diffusers but then making diy ones can be entertaining. I'm currently on my third version of diy diffuser and pretty sure v3.1 should have most of the kinks ironed out.:)

some really good quality images Ryan - the backgrounds are fine achieving what you want, but they could be different if you were after a "specimen" shot of the subject

some really good quality images Ryan - the backgrounds are fine achieving what you want, but they could be different if you were after a "specimen" shot of the subject
Thanks Bill, I like to id what I shoot but never really go out with the aim of getting specimen shots. I must say I find it very difficult to add an artistic flair to my macro shots, sometimes it happens organically but I have only just started to get my head around lighting let alone making it work the way some of the forum users do on this site.

Back