Instant Camera

Name
Jak
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, I’m toying with the idea of an instant camera. Just for a bit of fun really but I would like a little bit of quality in the finished print.
Any recommendations please?
Thank you ;)

You have two main choices in terms of format - Polaroid, or Instax. Polaroid are square format, the same as they always were, and Instax has three sizes available (see below).

instax mini
Print size – 54 x 85mm
Image size – 46 x 62mm

instax SQUARE
Print size – 86 x 72mm
Image size – 62 x 62mm

instax WIDE
Print size 108 x 85mm
Image size – 99 x 62mm
instax is manufactured by Fujifilm and the film is widely available and of good quality.
Polaroid
Polaroid SX-70, 600 and i-Type film measures exactly 3.108 × 3.024 inches (photo area) and 4.233 x 3.483 inches (total area)
Polaroid Go film measures exactly 2.623 x 2.122 in (66.6 mm x 53.9 mm) while the image area is 1.851 x 1.811 in (47 mm x 46 mm).
Polaroid film is a new formulation, re-engineered after the original Polaroid company disappeared. There have been quality issues in the past, but they have made significant improvements. It is more expensive than instax film, usually.

The main factor in getting quality images (insofar as this is possible with instant photography these days) will be the camera. There are different models in both formats with different features, quality of lenses etc. I can't help much with which is best (although the Polaroid SX-70 is well regarded if you can find one), but this channel may help:

I have an Instax mini 90. I like using it. You need to factor in the cost per shot though at around 75p. You may get it slightly cheaper if you shop around and get a 40 pack

Instax film is widely available. Pick up a pack at Argos.

The want for a Polaroid is strong, I admire the folks who have brought the film back but the cost and some of the almost experimental nature of certain films puts me off. Any size of Instax film just works.

Back