Is this lens kaput

Edit My Images
Yes
This is one of my dads lens for his Leica m2. Do you this think its reparable with
out costing an arm and a leg.

IMG_3371.jpg

That looks very much like a fungal growth on the inside of the lens. Sometimes they can be stripped and cleaned, but sometimes the growth leaves a permanent pattern on the glass. The only way to find out for sure is to send it in for assessment.

I'm guessing it's been unused for some time - how has it been stored?

Dear god ugly!

I have no idea if its repairable but let this be a lesson to everyone about lens storage.

Its been stored in a cupboard in his study/darkroom with all his other camera
gear. He also has a 90mm 2.8 which does not have any sigh of this damage.

I have cleaned the fungus from many lenses at work, yours will need re-polishing to remove the pattern from the lens. It will also need re-coating, not cheap.
I'd buy another as it will work out cheaper in the long run.

Warm and dark storage is ideal for the propogation of fungus in lenses. If it's humid it's even worse. Avoid storing you gear in it's bags for long periods, particularly if it's got damp.

More info.

Get a new lens.

Get a set of engineers screwdrivers and take that bad boy apart and make something out of it :)

looks like a brilliant excuse to buy some new glass to me!

or you could try and get some awful arty-farty shots out of it....

I'll clean it for you, if you like? I can't do much if the fungus has eaten into the glass or the coating though. Old Leitz lenses, and others, were soft coated.

I'll clean it for you, if you like? I can't do much if the fungus has eaten into the glass or the coating though. Old Leitz lenses, and others, were soft coated.

Now there's a generous offer! :clap:

Thanks for the offer, but had a go doing it myself. Though i could loosen the
lens locking ring the outer ring would not budge. Seem to be glued in place.
Still have the 90mm , so if i do get round to using this camera all is not lost.

Back