Jessops offering substantially more than MPB, Wex & Park Cameras for trade-in?

Edit My Images
No
Looking to trade my full kit Canon EOS M50 Mark II, EF-M 15-45 mm lens, and accompanying accessories for cash

Jessops have actually quoted me a price very close to what I paid for the kit, meanwhile Park, Wex & MPB have shockingly quoted me some £30 (Park), £50 (Wex), and £70 (MPB) less than what Jessops have. I marked the same specs for each quote application (condition, included accessories, etc). Incredibly shocked at MPB with how much I've seen people prefer their quotes to Jessops.

It's a no-brainer to go with Jessops no? Or is their quote too good to be true? They're not gonna run off with my kit or something are they? Or did I miss somewhere that Jessops only offer store credit? I double checked and it seems they offer full cash trade in but maybe I missed something

It is a curious thing, but the name Jessops seldom, if ever, comes up here in relation to trading in kit. There might be a reason for that, there might not. I'm just saying.

Hi and welcome to TP

I have no experience of Jessops directly but when they used the Camera Jungle 'brand' for their buy in operation I did (recommended by my brother take my gear up to Tottenham Court Road to drop it off) they paid the quoted figure.

But their current service is IIRC not as good....no doubt other might say otherwise but my brother did no longer recommend them when they shut the London operation as was. I think they now operate that division somewhere in Berkshire.

You mention rather modest differences between the other companies quotes, unless the gear quote by Jessops is not much money i.e. the above differences represent a high % of the Jessops quote?
The risk(?) is that they low ball you once they see the gear....in which case you are put in the position of accepting or getting returned....IMO just take lots of photos of your gear (whoever you choose) to be sure that it is yours sent back to you!

Hi and welcome to TP

I have no experience of Jessops directly but when they used the Camera Jungle 'brand' for their buy in operation I did (recommended by my brother take my gear up to Tottenham Court Road to drop it off) they paid the quoted figure.

But their current service is IIRC not as good....no doubt other might say otherwise but my brother did no longer recommend them when they shut the London operation as was. I think they now operate that division somewhere in Berkshire.

You mention rather modest differences between the other companies quotes, unless the gear quote by Jessops is not much money i.e. the above differences represent a high % of the Jessops quote?
The risk(?) is that they low ball you once they see the gear....in which case you are put in the position of accepting or getting returned....IMO just take lots of photos of your gear (whoever you choose) to be sure that it is yours sent back to you!
Hi, Thank You!

Yeah, the Jessops/Camera Jungle quote (and what I paid for the kit, as it was secondhand) wasn't much money, so the differences between what the other services are quoting does represent quite a high % of the Jessops quote. I actually have a correction to make, what I was quoted by Jessops/Camera Jungle is actually exactly what I paid for the kit down to the exact £, again I did buy it secondhand (though mint condition, and it is being sold in the same condition as it was bought because I never ended up using it) so that probably contributes to the lack of disparity between the quote and what I paid. Wasn't like I bought the kit brand spanking new for full price directly from Canon.

MPB is offering 25% less than what Jessops/Camera Jungle is (and again 25% less than what I paid for the kit), which, in most cases selling a kit for 25% less than what one paid for the kit would be a great deal, but when Jessops/Camera Jungle is quoting me exactly what I paid, it's hard to pass up. From what I understand Jessops Tottenham Court Road location is still open so it couldn't hurt taking the kit up there and seeing if what I was quoted online is accurate could it?

When you say that Jessops/Camera current service currently isn't great, what does that look like if you don't mind explaining?

Last edited:
It is a curious thing, but the name Jessops seldom, if ever, comes up here in relation to trading in kit. There might be a reason for that, there might not. I'm just saying.
For sure, I'm leaning towards there being a reason so I'm curious to hear in detail what people's experiences have been

Hi, Thank You!

Yeah, the Jessops/Camera Jungle quote (and what I paid for the kit, as it was secondhand) wasn't much money, so the differences between what the other services are quoting does represent quite a high % of the Jessops quote. I actually have a correction to make, what I was quoted by Jessops/Camera Jungle is actually exactly what I paid for the kit down to the exact £, again I did buy it secondhand (though mint condition, and it is being sold in the same condition as it was bought because I never ended up using it) so that probably contributes to the lack of disparity between the quote and what I paid. Wasn't like I bought the kit brand spanking new for full price directly from Canon.
My thoughts and Camera Jungle experience date back a few years and my brother is a retired professional photographer. When I say Camera Jungle were based at the Jessops Tottenham Court Road they were in a separate entrance and in offices above the shop. It was drop off only by arrangement and I got the money approx 5 days later in the bank IIRC.

Again IIRC my brother stopped using them at the time because their quotes were no longer as generous and as he like me always prefered to dropoff which the Berkshire operations no longer accepted.

I was relying on memory as to the few other experiences I read of at that time.

Looking at Trustpilot now they seem to get mostly glowing reviews.
MPB is offering 25% less than what Jessops/Camera Jungle is (and again 25% less than what I paid for the kit), which, in most cases selling a kit for 25% less than what one paid for the kit would be a great deal, but when Jessops/Camera Jungle is quoting me exactly what I paid, it's hard to pass up. From what I understand Jessops Tottenham Court Road location is still open so it couldn't hurt taking the kit up there and seeing if what I was quoted online is accurate could it?
I can only surmise that all these companies that buy in old kit will in part base the quote on how long they think they will need to sell it on?
When you say that Jessops/Camera current service currently isn't great, what does that look like if you don't mind explaining?

As @Plain Nev says Jessop is rarely spoken about AFAIK at TP.

All I can say is go with your gut and see if they stick to their quote or not?

PS a search here

Of which is the only one that discusses their buying gear

Last edited:
Personally, especially with a dealer with a less than exemplary track record, I'd want to walk in with the kit and walk out with the cash rather than risk the place going bust (again...) with my kit in their hot, sticky hands. Yes, you SHOULD get it back again - eventually But.

Maybe Jessops realise that they need to be competitive in their quotes if they want to muscle in on the secondhand market and take some share away from the bigger players.

Jessops isn't mentioned much because the company has gone bust several times - indeed I thought the last time was indeed the final coffin nail, so I was surprised to hear it is still in soime level of business. Not for long, I'd guess, if they are paying more for purchasing stuff than anyone else.

I think it was taken over by Peter Jones back in 2013 ((Dragon's Den Peter Jones) but looks like it has been suffering over the last few years. Maybe they are trying to break into the second-hand market more to help stay afloat.

It went into administration at least once since PJ took it over. I think it partly suffers due to some expensive retail locations, and partly because it's business strategy is unclear and unfocused - which is a surprise for a PJ company.

just looked on the jungle website specifically for MFT items 3 lenses and one camera listed ..pityfull really

I went into a small Jessops store in Shrewsbury at the weekend, it had a small selection of cameras and lenses from the main manufacturers. A third of the shop seemed to be set aside to printing services. Although I was only in there for 5-10 minutes, no member of staff came to greet me or see if they could help in anyway.
To be fair I was only in there because the wife was looking in a sewing shop and I've got about as much interest in that as she has in looking around a camera shop :ROFLMAO:

Let's say that what you paid was the 'market price'. A dealer, then, would sensibly offer you somewhat less since they need to cover their costs & make a profit as a reseller - that's altogether normal. And yeah - Jessops in recent decades has a rather flakey history ...

I think it was taken over by Peter Jones back in 2013 ((Dragon's Den Peter Jones) but looks like it has been suffering over the last few years. Maybe they are trying to break into the second-hand market more to help stay afloat.

This Peter Jones (me) had I had the money would've stepped in to save Jacobs. In many cities they were close to each other, and I did what a lot of people did, try out the camera at Jessops and then buy at Jacobs. Had not Jacobs not gone through a phase where it could not get stock (not because of liquidity IIRC) it would emerged from Jessops' demise much stronger.

I think Jessops in Kingston is still going, odd location and strange stocking decisions. I thought Jessops were very much non-Pentax but last time I went they had quite a lot of Pentax gear on show....not that I minded.

Personally, especially with a dealer with a less than exemplary track record, I'd want to walk in with the kit and walk out with the cash rather than risk the place going bust (again...) with my kit in their hot, sticky hands. Yes, you SHOULD get it back again - eventually But.
Great point. Jessops do have a standing location in Central London that's easy enough for me to get to, it might be worth popping in when I next plan to be in Central to see whether A) they'd meet the price I was quoted online and B) whether they'd be willing to give me cash for it right then and there. I don't think I'd risk mailing it in or something like that with what I'm hearing about them

Great point. Jessops do have a standing location in Central London that's easy enough for me to get to, it might be worth popping in when I next plan to be in Central to see whether A) they'd meet the price I was quoted online and B) whether they'd be willing to give me cash for it right then and there. I don't think I'd risk mailing it in or something like that with what I'm hearing about them
Perhaps phone the store and ask whether they will examine and pay you in store?

But I surmise not......though can't hurt to ask and if not you have saved the £'s of travel costs.

PS quotes typically have a limited time on them, so even if they would do what you wish/hope for in store you might have go to London sooner than "when I next plan to be....."

Well, I did next plan to be this Saturday hahaha so if quotes expire in 2 days I guess I'm in trouble. But yeah, wouldn't hurt to give them a ring and see what they say

Good luck.

Back