Join the Minox 8x11 Photography Adventure!

Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone!

I’m new to this forum and excited to connect with fellow photography enthusiasts! I’ve been passionately photographing with Minox 8x11 cameras for the past year and a half, and I’m absolutely fascinated by this unique format. I’m reaching out to find other enthusiasts who share my interest in Minox 8x11 photography and might be eager to get involved.

I’m particularly looking for active Minox users who would like to exchange experiences, tips, and insights. Recently, I started a website dedicated to this topic where I showcase the information I've gathered along the way. For those who are just starting out with Minox photography, I’ve also written an introduction on my site to help newcomers get acquainted with this amazing format.

If you’re interested in discussing techniques, sharing your favorite shots, or simply connecting with fellow Minox lovers, I’d love to hear from you here in the forum! Let’s inspire each other and dive deeper into the world of Minox photography together.

Looking forward to your responses!

Read my introduction for Minox beginners here:

There is a dedicated area for film photography here. You might get more response there.

If you use the Report button at the bottom left of your first post and ask the team nicely, they'll probably do it for you. They're nice - sometimes!!! :p

moved as suggested - sorry I missed this on first glance

IIRC @auntiemaryscanary is our resident Minox expert
Hi @tjwspm , I'm very into Minox as @sirch says but I wouldn't go as far as to describe myself as an expert!

I have a Minox iiis (aka A), B and an EC. I slit film and reload the cartridges along with developing my own B&W film in a home made contraption - I'll see if I can find the link on the forum to my developing "system".

Edit - see posts 13 and 35 for the system https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/16mm-and-now-9-5mm-frolics.739748/

My biggest issue had been finding the plastic cassettes to reload. I got a couple off an auction site and imported 5 of the new Blue Moon Camera ones (that come loaded with film) from the US. When I last looked at the MS Hobbies website a few weeks ago (now the owner is an expert) they had the Blue Moon ones in stock at, I think, £25.

I'm trying to get a method of easily scanning Minox negs. I do have a large backlog of film, inc Minox, to dev unfortunately... I have done some wet prints up to 7x5 successfully.

I'll have a look at your website.

I'd like to find a source of metal cassettes at a sensible price, say £30. Then I might get my two cameras going again!

View attachment 433481
Your cameras look like a B and C. I'm pretty sure the C doesn't take the original Minox produced metal cartridges. I have 3 or 4 of the metal ones but I don't use them as my film slitter does 9.2mm and the metal cartridges need 9.0mm film. The 9.0mm requirement is why I haven't bought the MS Hobbies new reusable metal cartridges.

If the metal cartridges are what you are after I could put them up on the the forum for sale thread.

PS Nice Minox set up you've got.

Last edited:
Hi @tjwspm , I'm very into Minox as @sirch says but I wouldn't go as far as to describe myself as an expert!

I have a Minox iiis (aka A), B and an EC. I slit film and reload the cartridges along with developing my own B&W film in a home made contraption - I'll see if I can find the link on the forum to my developing "system".

Edit - see posts 13 and 35 for the system https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/16mm-and-now-9-5mm-frolics.739748/

My biggest issue had been finding the plastic cassettes to reload. I got a couple off an auction site and imported 5 of the new Blue Moon Camera ones (that come loaded with film) from the US. When I last looked at the MS Hobbies website a few weeks ago (now the owner is an expert) they had the Blue Moon ones in stock at, I think, £25.

I'm trying to get a method of easily scanning Minox negs. I do have a large backlog of film, inc Minox, to dev unfortunately... I have done some wet prints up to 7x5 successfully.

I'll have a look at your website.

Your cameras look like a B and C. I'm pretty sure the C doesn't take the original Minox produced metal cartridges. I have 3 or 4 of the metal ones but I don't use them as my film slitter does 9.2mm and the metal cartridges need 9.0mm film. The 9.0mm requirement is why I haven't bought the MS Hobbies new reusable metal cartridges.

If the metal cartridges are what you are after I could put them up on the the forum for sale thread.

PS Nice Minox set up you've got.
Hi @auntiemaryscanary ,
nice to hear from you. In fact, I've already come across some of your posts by searching for “Minox” on the forum. Whatever they mean by “expert”, it seems you've been involved with Minox for much longer than I have.

@AndrewFlannigan
Now that the problem of getting Minox cartridges has been mentioned twice, I would like to know if you have ever thought about 3D printing? I've also had to deal with the procurement problem several times. A few weeks ago I discussed the problem with the 3D professionals at my former employer. It's amazing what filigree and at the same time stable artifacts they can produce. We are planning to meet again soon and try to print a Minox cartridge. I have found 3D files on the net. I am curious.

Last edited:
@auntiemaryscanary
Here is my method. It takes approx. 20 seconds per frame:
... and some Minox images I digitized this way:

I was really lucky last week. 3 Minox films for 10 euros.
Yesterday I received a Minox EC set that I bought privately online last week.

Price for the complete set: 10 Euros

Camera and electronic flash look like new and work perfectly (not yet film tested). The three films (36 exposures) are still unopened (1993). The operating instructions for the camera and flash are complete and appear to have never been read.

Minox EC 4.jpg

I admit, that was outrageous luck.

I was really lucky last week. 3 Minox films for 10 euros.
Yesterday I received a Minox EC set that I bought privately online last week.

Price for the complete set: 10 Euros

Camera and electronic flash look like new and work perfectly (not yet film tested). The three films (36 exposures) are still unopened (1993). The operating instructions for the camera and flash are complete and appear to have never been read.

View attachment 433727

I admit, that was outrageous luck.
Well done, especially for the electronic flash. I'm using flash cubes with my EC :)

I use to shoot an original Minox Riga and have been considering getting one again.
Then you might be interested in this article:

I have revised my article once again and added two new chapters in particular.

How to make your own Minox film:

and how do I store my negatives:

I would be interested in your opinions and tips.

Back