Kx 800

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, so i finally splashed out on a proper flash for my macro shooting,
I bought a kx 800, and have immediately run into difficulties in diffusing it, I'm ending up with specular highlights, is it just not diffused enough or could it be that the diffuser is just too close to the flash, my previous diffuser on my ringflash generated nice light without this issue, but that may have been due to the distance between flash and diffusing medium.
Any thoughts or how do you diffuse your kx 800 if you have one ?

This is my current diffusion arrangement. This Flickr album from 2016 gives an indication of what is going on inside the diffuser boxes. In that album you will see several different sized diffusers for use in front of the diffuser boxes. I now just use a single large diffuser in front, as shown below. Having found a configuration that works for all the magnifications I use I don't adjust the arms any more. (I have in the past occasionally stretched out one of the arms to illuminate dark backgrounds, but these days I don't do that, instead using slower shutter speeds and higher ISOs than I used to when I'm troubled by black backgrounds, which I don't like much.)

All my flash images have used the KX800 for the past several years, so there are lots of examples in my Flickr albums. (Just the insects etc. I don't use flash for flowers etc.) There are some examples from a few days ago in this thread.

1341 01 KX800 diffuser July 2018
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

1341 02 KX800 diffuser July 2018

Last edited:
This is my current diffusion arrangement. This Flickr album from 2016 gives an indication of what is going on inside the diffuser boxes. In that album you will see several different sized diffusers for use in front of the diffuser boxes. I now just use a single large diffuser in front, as shown below. Having found a configuration that works for all the magnifications I use I don't adjust the arms any more. (I have in the past occasionally stretched out one of the arms to illuminate dark backgrounds, but these days I don't do that, instead using slower shutter speeds and higher ISOs than I used to when I'm troubled by black backgrounds, which I don't like much.)

All my flash images have used the KX800 for the past several years, so there are lots of examples in my Flickr albums. (Just the insects etc. I don't use flash for flowers etc.) There are some examples from a few days ago in this thread.

1341 01 KX800 diffuser July 2018

1341 02 KX800 diffuser July 2018

Thank you for that, at the minute I have 2 empty coffee tins cut down and attached. I have 2 layers of diffusing medium which is being increased to 3 today to see how that works. The medium is roughly 3" from the flash but pretty contained to the coffee tin.
It's good to get a look at other methods to try and come up with different ideas, so thanks for that

@GardenersHelper -How do you find the Kx800 in day to day use? I'm thinking making it my next purchase as it offers more flexibility than ring flash.
Im worried I might spend more time trying to find the best lighting positions with 2 heads than actually taking the photos.

@GardenersHelper -How do you find the Kx800 in day to day use? I'm thinking making it my next purchase as it offers more flexibility than ring flash.
Im worried I might spend more time trying to find the best lighting positions with 2 heads than actually taking the photos.

I'm afraid my experience will probably not be relevant for you. That is because I use close-up lenses mounted on telezoom lenses rather than using a macro lens and/or extension tubes. Because of the particular camera/lens setups I use it turns out that I can arrange the KX800 flash heads so they work for all the magnifications I use without having to adjust them. It also turns out that I don't have to adjust the power of the flash as the magnification changes. I only have to change the flash power to take account of how light or dark the scene is.

If you use a macro lens, extension tubes and/or reversed lenses then it will probably be different for you. As the magnification changes the distance from the camera to the subject will change and this may mean you have to alter where the flash heads are pointing. As the magnification changes you may also have to change the flash power, for two reasons. One is that you may have to alter the flash power to take account of different distances to the subject. The other is that as you change magnification the effective aperture will change and you may have to adjust the aperture and/or the flash power to take account of this. And as the KX800 is a manual flash, you will have to make any adjustments to the flash power yourself rather than having the camera do it for you (and that also includes any changes needed to take account of how light or dark the scene is).

I used to adjust the KX800's bendy arms quite a lot, but these days I'm quite cautious about adjusting them. On one arm of one of my KX800's (I have three), on separate occasions, I broke two of the loc-line connectors and had to superglue those connectors together, which reduces the flexibility of the arm. I think perhaps the plastic in the arms becomes brittle with age. (I have been using KX800s for five years, but the breakages happened after two or three years I think.)

That was all rather negative I'm afraid, but there is another side to this. Once I had some diffusion worked out I felt the quality of light I was getting was better with the KX800 than I had been getting before. Also, in several videos I have seen Thomas Shahan using a KX800, and he uses macro lens/extension tubes/reversed lenses. He has used lots of different flash setups. Possibly he uses the KX800 all the time at the moment, I don't know. This tweet shows that it was his current setup last October, but bear in mind what he says in a follow up tweet - "This will all likely change - I've never been satisfied with any one lighting/diffusion setup.". Anyway, have a look at his images, for example his web site or his Flickr account. You won't get images like that just because you use a KX800, but it does show what is possible using it.

(I see that his current diffusion setup is also a lot simpler than mine, and probably loses less light. I need to experiment some more!)

Back