Lace Web Spider (?)- EDIT - Sheet weaver

I can't help with the ID Gav, but nicely caught :)

Excellent, so sharp!

Very nice Gav m8, well done.

I think this is one of the money spiders - Lepthyphantes sp. (possibly L.minutus). In the UK, Linyphiidae is our largest spider family with around 270+ species, this one originally named by John Blackwall in 1833 as 'Linyphia minuta' loosely meaning "little linenweaver".

I've been known to be wrong though, so not gospel on the ID, but I think a sheet weaver rather than a lace web.

Paul.

Very nice Gav m8, well done.

I think this is one of the money spiders - Lepthyphantes sp. (possibly L.minutus). In the UK, Linyphiidae is our largest spider family with around 270+ species, this one originally named by John Blackwall in 1833 as 'Linyphia minuta' loosely meaning "little linenweaver".

I've been known to be wrong though, so not gospel on the ID, but I think a sheet weaver rather than a lace web.

Paul.
Thanks Paul, My book is limited and a I was scrolling through images online and couldn't decide which was closest :LOL:

Thanks

Gav

Super image. Very striking. Composition, light, colours, clarity, all very appealing.

Good use of a small aperture, f/22 at 2:1, so f/64 effective. That makes me curious about the processing.

Nice light from the flash too (which makes me curious about the diffusion).

I think it all worked very well together to produce a very appealing image. Good execution.

Super image. Very striking. Composition, light, colours, clarity, all very appealing.

Good use of a small aperture, f/22 at 2:1, so f/64 effective. That makes me curious about the processing.

Nice light from the flash too (which makes me curious about the diffusion).

I think it all worked very well together to produce a very appealing image. Good execution.
Thank you :)

Processing was just RAW conversion with normal sharpen and denoise in Affinity photo and little light adjustment, I'll be honest I've forgotten as I've done a few this weekend but it wasn't a lot as image from camera was good :)

I use Godox Macro heads, they were to each side of the spider, diffused using white plastic caps but I am looking for a better way, the light is usally too harsh but I think shooting into a plant allowed the light to 'escape' instead of bouncing back

I'm not sure how it came out so well, beginners luck ??

Thank you :)

Processing was just RAW conversion with normal sharpen and denoise in Affinity photo and little light adjustment, I'll be honest I've forgotten as I've done a few this weekend but it wasn't a lot as image from camera was good :)

I use Godox Macro heads, they were to each side of the spider, diffused using white plastic caps but I am looking for a better way, the light is usally too harsh but I think shooting into a plant allowed the light to 'escape' instead of bouncing back
Thanks for the more detailed info. No special processing. That's interesting.

And an interesting thought about the possible effect of the plant on the illumination.
I'm not sure how it came out so well, beginners luck ??
If the light is usually too harsh then there must be some special factor involved. Like you suggested, perhaps the environment "shaped" the light in a helpful way.

Thanks for the more detailed info. No special processing. That's interesting.

And an interesting thought about the possible effect of the plant on the illumination.

If the light is usually too harsh then there must be some special factor involved. Like you suggested, perhaps the environment "shaped" the light in a helpful way.
Is there any thing you want to know? I'm happy to share :) I could add the image straight from camera if that helps?

As for flash I'm normally shooting against a wall or surface, made a nice change to shot through a plant with the spider making it's way down..... thinking back the flash heads may have been touching the flowers and that may have diffused the light enough?

Is there any thing you want to know? I'm happy to share :) I could add the image straight from camera if that helps?

As for flash I'm normally shooting against a wall or surface, made a nice change to shot through a plant with the spider making it's way down..... thinking back the flash heads may have been touching the flowers and that may have diffused the light enough?

The light also looked nice in your recent springtail images and because of that I doubt it is beginner's luck and it also makes me doubtful about special factors in the spider scene. Seems to me your flash setup may be better than you are giving it credit for. That will be easier for you to assess as the opportunities increase in the coming weeks and you have more examples to compare. You mentioned doing a few this weekend - are there examples there perhaps of ones where you think the light was too harsh?

Incidentally, none of this is in any way intended to be critical or suggesting you have a particular problem here. Bear in mind that I have had longstanding (many years) dissatisfaction with my own flash setups, including my current one, even though I've tried loads of options, especially in the past year or more. I just tend not to post images where the illumination looked bad to me. Or I do local adjustments to cover up the problems.

The light also looked nice in your recent springtail images and because of that I doubt it is beginner's luck and it also makes me doubtful about special factors in the spider scene. Seems to me your flash setup may be better than you are giving it credit for. That will be easier for you to assess as the opportunities increase in the coming weeks and you have more examples to compare. You mentioned doing a few this weekend - are there examples there perhaps of ones where you think the light was too harsh?

Incidentally, none of this is in any way intended to be critical or suggesting you have a particular problem here. Bear in mind that I have had longstanding (many years) dissatisfaction with my own flash setups, including my current one, even though I've tried loads of options, especially in the past year or more. I just tend not to post images where the illumination looked bad to me. Or I do local adjustments to cover up the problems.
There were a couple more of the springtail but it clipped the edge of the frame as it was moving but I had spent a few hours editting other images some of birds in flight etc... so I've forgotten what I'd done to each image ;)

I must admitt the Godox macro flash set is very good and much better then my last set up, I'll be putting through it's paces very soon.

No worries, I'm happy to take crit' any time or help others where ever possible :)

Thanks again for the recent help, lovely images on flickr (y)

Back