Leaf hopper and mating midges

Nice and close! Do you find there is a drop in clarity when using tubes?

Nice and close! Do you find there is a drop in clarity when using tubes?
Thanks Geeman, when using all three ext tubes(69mm) @1:1 a drop in clarity is very noticeable but that could be due to the hair thin dof or me not lighting effectively or any number of factors I might be missing in the rush to get a clean shot. Using 33mm of tubes make the whole rig much more controllable and I struggle to see much of a difference between images shot on them and just the bare lens.
Nicely done with some small subjects. Did you crop a lot? (I'm wondering how you got that very good amount of DOF. It makes me wonder about the aperture you used, as well as how much cropping.)
Cheers Nick, As to the shots apertures, the leafhopper was shot @ f11 and the midges were shot @f10. I did crop a fair amount and they needed some noise correction and selective sharpening in PS afterwards. I'm not sure what you consider a lot so I'll just show you the original framing.
IMG_8504vfull.jpg

IMG_8508.jpg

Thanks Geeman, when using all three ext tubes(69mm) @1:1 a drop in clarity is very noticeable but that could be due to the hair thin dof or me not lighting effectively or any number of factors I might be missing in the rush to get a clean shot. Using 33mm of tubes make the whole rig much more controllable and I struggle to see much of a difference between images shot on them and just the bare lens.

Cheers Nick, As to the shots apertures, the leafhopper was shot @ f11 and the midges were shot @f10. I did crop a fair amount and they needed some noise correction and selective sharpening in PS afterwards. I'm not sure what you consider a lot so I'll just show you the original framing.

Thanks Ryan. What camera and lens?

Heavy crops but they work well Ryan

Back