Lean

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
The alarm on my phone bleeps at 2:30am, wearily eyed I hit the dismiss button and trope downstairs for my morning ritual, coffee. I drink it at a faster pace than usual, mindful of the fact that I'm setting off in half an hour, within which time I'll have to make myself a bowl of cereal and consume that too.

My camera gear is primed and ready from the night before. It makes a huge difference when everything is ready, including your clothes, rather than rushing around first thing and scrambling to get everything together - it's probably as much to do with mindfulness more than anything - if you're rushing around, that leads to feeling frantic, and that's the last thing I wanted to be feeling like when arriving at my destination. It's important to be on the same level with nature when trying to convey the sheer beauty of it.

Having checked the weather forecast the night before I knew I might be arriving to sublime conditions. And you have to picture that in your mind, I think, to feel at one with them and make the most of them. Do you want to be frantic and arrive late or get there early, feeling connected with the atmosphere nature provides?

Arriving well before sunrise meant that the woods were shrouded in the most beautiful depth of mist I've ever seen.

Lean by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Another cracking shot and fair play you deserve it for the early starts

Reactions: smr
Can I like more than once? :D

Reactions: smr
Very nice; bonus points for the effort!
I hate the very early wake up and drive; so I've started camping over instead when possible... especially if the drive is several hours.

Heavy fog is always such a tough edit... you have to be careful to avoid destroying the mood/feeling, which is very easy to do. And I think differences in monitors/calibration makes a bigger difference with these types of images. But on my computer, I think it could benefit from just a touch more contrast in the FG/MG. I would also reduce the exposure a touch, but against a white BG like here that isn't necessary.

Very nice; bonus points for the effort!
I hate the very early wake up and drive; so I've started camping over instead when possible... especially if the drive is several hours.

Heavy fog is always such a tough edit... you have to be careful to avoid destroying the mood/feeling, which is very easy to do. And I think differences in monitors/calibration makes a bigger difference with these types of images. But on my computer, I think it could benefit from just a touch more contrast in the FG/MG. I would also reduce the exposure a touch, but against a white BG like here that isn't necessary.

Looks just how I want it to on my calibrated monitor. Like all photography, it's open to opinion and there are differences in ambient light levels / monitors etc. My monitor is 50 percent brightness and neutral contrast.

I actually had to increase the contrast a fair bit in PP to get to this point, it really was very misty!

Back