Len,s cleaning

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi i have some jessops lens cleaning fluid is that OK for the sensor, or is it a different fluid, how often do you clean your len's, the front looks straight forward bot what about the rear that looks a little more tricky, are there any "how toos" on this, it seams less of a work of art than sensor cleaning.

so len's cleaning

1, how often

2, which method

Regards Mark.

I like to use a "Lens Pen" every now and again on the front optic. Lens hoods and lens caps tend to keep fingerprints and smudges off the lens but dust and atmospheric film can sometimes settle so a good clean/polish once in a while does no harm, but it does not need to be often if you've been shooting in clean environments.

Sometimes I'll use a microfibre cloth, which I have in a little pouch on my keyring - a "Spudz" cloth. I may use a little breath on the lens to help with the polishing but never any fancy fluids.

As for the rear element, it's always either on the camera or covered with a cap and in my experience (six lenses and a little over two years so far) I've never needed to clean the rear optic with physical touching. Maybe once or twice I've puffed it with a Rocket Blower and that seems plenty good enough..

Hi i have some jessops lens cleaning fluid is that OK for the sensor, or is it a different fluid, how often do you clean your len's, the front looks straight forward bot what about the rear that looks a little more tricky, are there any "how toos" on this, it seams less of a work of art than sensor cleaning.

so len's cleaning

1, how often

2, which method

Regards Mark.

Lens cleaning - I use Visible Dust Lens Plus solution, put a little on a Spudz cloth and work in a circular motion, around the outside first then towards the centre. You'll find that the lens solution evaporates and leaves a lovely perfect clean lens surface.

BUT before doing any of this, I always use a rocket blower to ensure there is no grit/dirt etc. that can contaminate the lens cloth. If there is, then the element can be scratched very easily.

EDIT: how often..depends how often I use the lens...once every couple of weeks , or if usage is longer, every time I use it

Hello and thanks for the replys, it's best to check, are dust jet blowers acceptable for cleaning inside the camera as well, i think from a post some time ago there was doubt in the use for camera bodies.

Will have a look out for a spudz cloth could be useful in the field

Regards Mark.

Hello and thanks for the replys, it's best to check, are dust jet blowers acceptable for cleaning inside the camera as well, i think from a post some time ago there was doubt in the use for camera bodies.

Will have a look out for a spudz cloth could be useful in the field

Regards Mark.

Spudz cloths also come in 18% grey colour, so has more than one use (y)

A Giottos Rocket Blower is regarded as pretty standard equipment for blowing out camera bodies to remove loose dust and hairs from sensors....

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enGB268GB269&q=giottos+rocket

Spudz cloths also come in 18% grey colour, so has more than one use (y)

Thanks for the above i have just ordered both, and i have the lens solution from jessops as well and i found some cleaning cloths, so it looks like i geared up...

Regards Mark

I clean about 40-50 lenses per week. The technique and tools vary depending on the condition.

First of all, always always remove all dust. I use a rocket blower and/or a very fine brush; the blower gets the bigger stuff but sometimes you need the brush for the fine stuff.

Lens pens are good for water spots. But they do sometimes leave a bit of a residue on the lens so I always brush after using a lens pen and sometimes also clean with fluid.

Lens cleaning fluid works best for fingerprints and hard-to-shift marks such as from condensation. I use a new bit of lens tissue, fold in half, one drop of fluid - no more - and move the two sides of the tissue against one another to spread the fluid into the tissue. You don't want it too wet. Wipe across the lens once. Fold the tissue to expose a different unused surface and wipe across another bit of the lens. Repeat until you've done it all. Never wipe the same bit of tissue twice. Throw it away and use a new bit if necessary. Then it's the same drill to remove any surplus liquid. New tissue, wipe once, fold, wipe once, etc. until done.

I never never never use a microfibre cloth or anything like that. It's just asking for trouble, trying to clean a lens with a cloth that may have dust or grit on it.

I bought some lens pens last week, after someone recommended them. They seem to do the job (y)

Many thanks for the above posts, i still need to contact yourselves regarding hiring the x1.4 extender:love: which could save me vast amounts of money but TBH we have not had a clear night or day in ages as soon as we have a couple of week good weather window, which my be in November now, i will contact you regarding the hire many thanks for the len's cleaning tips.

Regards Mark.

I never never never use a microfibre cloth or anything like that. It's just asking for trouble, trying to clean a lens with a cloth that may have dust or grit on it.

A very good point about the grit factor, and well worth emphasising. I feel fairly confident in my Spudz cloth as it is rolled up into its little case and shaken out for use. I also only use it rarely and do launder it after a few uses.

Here's what the Spudz cloth looks like....

Tucked away....
20080909_091532_03180_LR.jpg

Unfurled....
20080909_091604_03181_LR.jpg

So when rolled up and tucked away there is only a tiny amount of the cloth exposed to the risk of grit and I don't tend to find a lot of grit lurking in my pockets.

Back