Lens Cleaning fluid

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
I seem to have a sort of smudge which shows up in my pics.I thought it might be the lens but its not as i swapped them over and its still there.I cant see anything on the sensor by the naked eye.

I have some lens cleaning fluid, would this be suitable to clean the mirror and sensor on my D50 by using a swab/cotton bud.Dont want to damage the sensor by using something i shouldnt.

Mmmmm...depends on the manufacturer...I have Visible Dust lens plus solution and a different sensor cleaning solution also by VD, so I guess they are different..

Best to check on whatever website makes your lens cleaner. If they do seperate ones, then I'd imagine it would not be suitable for sensor.

Mmm...checking on Jessops website, all their lens and sensor cleaning products are in seperate kits, so if I was you, I'd air on the side of caution and get some decent sensor cleaning fluid like from Eclipse or Visible Dust et al.

It is the sensor after all. Use the wrong stuff and it may mark the low pass filter and/or sensor itself, causing a large repair bill...

I'd recommend suitable VD lens cleaning swabs, plus the sensor cleaning fluid from the same maker...

No No No .....

Any smudges on your mirror will not show on the pics - because your mirror lifts out of the way during a shot.

Before you clean your sensor take a test shot of something like a blank magnolia wall using a small aperture. Apply autolevels to the image and any crap will become obvious.

You need a proprietary sensor cleaner for the sensor, there are plenty on the market and it is not hard to do. Otherwise take it to a camera shop.

take a pic of a white background at f22 and overexpose it slighty... this will show you where the mark on the sensor is...

do what i said to test first, its better if it needs a blow or brush then fluid.

little specs look like smudges when your not at small apertures

weird???

i cant imagine how it can get a smudge on it, unless it was physically touched?

Ive blown dust off many sensors, but i wouldnt have the balls to use fluid, Especilly as nikon only charged my £40 to clean one last time i needed it doing.

If you do end up cleaning the sensor yourself and it's your first time, read and read again the instructions until you are very familiar with them..

It is a daunting process, wondering whether the sensor will be ok once cleaned, but IMHO it's perfectly feasable cleaning it yourself

Back