Lens cleaning stuff

I've never bought a lens cleaning product in my life. All I've ever done is breath on the lens to get a nice fine mist and very gently wipe off with a soft cloth. ;)

There's nothing wrong with lens cleaning solutions, used carefully, but you can actually do more harm than good if you're not careful, Never use the solutions straight onto the lens - use them sparingly applied to a cloth first and then to the lens.

Never bought the kit but use the lens tissues and achieve excellent results.

I bought a pack of 50 'glasses cleaning wipes' that say also suitable for photo lenses for 70p in Aldi - they work great!

I'm sure some people will disagree, but it's always worked for me. If you were unlucky enough to get something solid and encrusted on the glass then obviously you'd have to think of trying a proprietary product, but you have to be really careful with the coating on that front element.

I prefer to breath on the lens and then gently use tissues.

Cloths can collect deposits which can build up over time and may cause damage. Tissues can be discarded

I've also been told that the sensor cleaning fluid is good for lens cleaning as it evaporates leaving no deposit. Don't know how true that is as I've never tried it :shrug:

It's not the lens that I clean, it's the UV filter that's there to protect it.

Are we asking advice on the suitability for cleaning lens glass or lens filters ?. I have actually never cleaned a lens before as mine have protective filters on from day one and have never had to clean the opposite end.
I would be very nervous if I ever had to clean the lens glass:eek:

Are we asking advice on the suitability for cleaning lens glass or lens filters ?. I have actually never cleaned a lens before as mine have protective filters on from day one and have never had to clean opposite end.
I would be very nervous if I ever had to clean the lens glass:eek:

cleaning the lens glass itself. i don't use UV or other protective filters so in time i'm going to need to give them a good clean.

Jessops do 100 lens cleaning tissues so that should be enough. If anything major gets on there i guess i get some fluid but i'm not intending on chucking it around enough to get like that!

I really like those microfibre cloth thingies, and they're pretty cheap so while you can re-use them (they're washable) you can probably afford to chuck them away too.

I hate cleaning lenses, it makes me nervous. Sad really isn't it? I never press hard either, just incase I were to drag something across the element and put small scratches into it.

I do have UV filters too, but I don't really like them as I tend to think they soften images a bit so I'm actually less reluctant to put them on my more expenses lenses as they're the ones I want to see sharp results from. Perhaps I'm a bit odd. :)

I do have UV filters too, but I don't really like them as I tend to think they soften images a bit so I'm actually less reluctant to put them on my more expenses lenses as they're the ones I want to see sharp results from. Perhaps I'm a bit odd. :)

I've read exactly the same thing mate - that's why i'm not investing in one!

For lens cleaning in the field-I use Bouchard optical lens wipes, after trying numerous different wet wipes, I've found these to be the best, particularly as they are the only ones that I've found that are 'smear free'.

Couple of quid for 50 , chemists/supermarkets

Highly recommended.

I've read exactly the same thing mate - that's why i'm not investing in one!

I don't like putting filters in front of expensive glass either, I prefer to rely on the lens hood for protection against knocks - coupled with a bit of care in handling. It is worth pointing out though, that in very wet environments Canon recommend a protection filter to complete the weather sealing on weather sealed lenses and prevent water getting past the front element.

You can't of course get filters (other than the drop in ones) for big aperture long lenses like the 500mm f4 and 600mm f4. The front element isn't actually an element at all with these lenses, it's a piece of high quality optical glass which is replaceable (at a cost!) in the event of damage. I'm not sure how water resistant the front seal is on these lenses, probably not much, as I'm sure I read somewhere that the huge lens hoods are designed to be very deep for weather protection.

Back