Lens hoods

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Lo all

Can anyone help me along the road to enlightenment?

I'm the happy owner of the 17-40L lens, this comes with the EW-83E hood, popular suggestion would have me belive that this hood is not suited to this lens when used on a camera with a 1.6 crop, namely the 20D.

Can anyone offer resoning for this and suggest a hood that will work on such a set up before i go :nut:

The reasoning is that the full field of view is somewhat restricted due to the crop factor thus the supplied hood unless being used on a full frame camera is useless.

I am led to believe that some people have sourced longer alternative hoods of a different Canon lens (my memory is not great here but it could possibly be the 28-75L lens) I would expect to pay a tidy sum for such an accessory.

I would pop down to Jessops and look at the range of rubber add on hoods as they can be folded back or cut to the correct length..also they will cost a lot less than an "L" lens hood for sure.

I might well look at the rubber hoods you mention, but i'd rather have a pukka Canon item to add to the display case as it were :D

I can't remember for the life of me where it was i read about this...... the search begins :nunu:

I have a Hoya rubber hood that can be folded back, great quality. I reckon rubber is your best bet.

Dont get too close to big cat cages though ;)

Tiger2%20%28Small%29.jpg

With a little help from milou, it would appear that the hood i'm after is the Canon EW-83D II

just need to source one now for a reasonable price :)

Cheers for the ebay links.

I just need to set up an ebay account now......:coat:

damn slacker!

If you want to do what we did last time Brian, im on MSN!

Back