Lenses for Nikon D700

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all , I'm a Canon man through and through so I know all about which Canon lenses are suitable for a Canon camera but I know nothing about Nikon! A good friend of mine wants to buy a Nikon D700 and I would like some advice on which lenses ar ok for this camera . Am I right in saying its a full frame ? If so is it only certain lenses that will fit ?
Thanks all

All Nikon F-mounts should fit, and hopefully DX lenses (for crop format cameras) will work automatically in crop mode.

I would suggest the Nikkor AF-S 24-120 f4G VR as a good start, the previous version of this lens f3.5-5.6 was very poor in comparison. But the f4 compares very well to the 24-105L EF lens. For wide angle the 16-35 f4 is also excellent.

Being a 12MP camera, and an excellent one at that (very highly regarded), the modern f4 AF-S lenses will be a good match.

Any FX (full frame) or DX (crop) lens from about 1977 onwards will fit but...

AF-P lenses won't work.
DX lenses will only use the central 40% of pixels, so now a D700 is a 5 megapixel camera.

FX is the way to go. The AF-S and AF-D lenses both work great. As do lenses from all the major 3rd party manufacturers. The older AF (not D or S) work fine but are not coded for some of the flash stuff.

A bit cheaper (and lighter) than the suggestions above are the 24-85 AF-S VR and the 18-35 AF-S.

Cheapskate option is the old 28-105 AF-D, which seems to be lowest price on LCE. Very good with a bit of 3D pop.

AF-P lenses won't work.
Good call!

A bit cheaper (and lighter) than the suggestions above are the 24-85 AF-S VR and the 18-35 AF-S.

I forgot the 24-85, I was looking at the AF-D version when I bought my D3 but glad I waited for the 24-120/4 (which I still have, and use on D850)

Last edited:
Any FX (full frame) or DX (crop) lens from about 1977 onwards will fit but...

IIRC, there are a (VERY!) few that will interfere with the mirror's movement - not sure that the 6mm Nikkor fisheye is on your wishlist!!!

If you can find an old Nikon 35-70 f2.8 that's a belter of a lens, even if the range is a little limited.

Worked fantastic on my D700 (which I wish I'd kept).

I've got the D version of the 24-85 and it is okay at 12 MPix if you stop it down a bit. By all accounts the later lenses are better.

The most common lens I use is a Sigma 24-105 f/4 (on a D750) but it would be 1.9kg all up on a D700.

It's designed to be used with FX (full frame) lenses.
DX lenses will work, but only in crop mode, and although crop mode can be useful, the image quality only comes into its own when used in full-frame mode.

If you can find an old Nikon 35-70 f2.8 that's a belter of a lens, even if the range is a little limited.

Worked fantastic on my D700 (which I wish I'd kept).
I’ve got one for sale! I love that lens - I’ve since replaced it with the 24-70 2.8.

I was very fond of my D700; I replaced it with a D800 primarily for the video features.

I couldn’t afford high-end lenses at the time, so I used a Nikon 35-70mm 2.8, Nikon 70-300, and I think my primes were the 50mm 1.8 and 35mm 2.0. When I needed better lenses, eg the 24-70 and 70-200, I’d hire them. But as others have said, you can use any lens with the D700, but it’s best to stick with the FX lenses, i.e. the full-frames. And the 35-70 was my main lens, it’s a very good one, and sharp - and light (not heavy).

I’m switching from Nikon to Canon, so I am selling all of them, and not expecting to make much from any of them.

Edit: I forgot to add - as the D700 has fewer MPs, it’s tolerant of non-Nikon lenses, so those are options too.

Last edited:
Let me know if you want to sell and the price please once you've put it in the classifieds.

I'd be interested dependant upon price.

Fantastic, absolutely! There’s something I want to shoot in three weeks, so I really want to have sold everything and received a Canon R5II by then!

Back