Lightroom Classic stablity

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I moved from ON1 Raw to Lighroom after seeing trying a proper edit rather than the usual tweaks and finding it crashed taking 30 mins of work with it, anyway, thats why I moved to what I perceived as the professional's choice.

Now I'm not so sure, while it doesn't lose my work (although I have now got a corrupt thumb I can't seem to shift) it does crash fairly often, often around masking - god help me if I hover over the adaptive filters!

I'm not sure if its my gfx card, I use an AMD 7900 XTX on the latest drivers (clean install), also LR is up to date as of a couple of days ago.

I was wondering if this is common and something I just need to put up with or if there is any settings or advice that anyone could offer that might help.

Whats worse of course is I can't repeat it other than to just use it and nothing is maxing out - no temp, or RAM/CPU/GPU/SSD (HD) load issues.

I don't find current lightroom as stable as v 5 and 6 either and some bits don't work. On1 can also be a little unstable sometimes, and for both, if planning a long editing session, I normally do a windows restart to free maximum resources. Running on a Ryzen system, 32gb ram, 6800XT graphics.

Mine is totally stable running win 10 on an I5 chip 32gb RAM and an ASUS MoBo 150B-M (everything is a bit old ).
This might seem a bit daft but run CCCleaner at start up, I find certain programs don't work properly if the machine is overloaded with temp files and cookies, another thought is the LR cache big enough Edit>Preferences>Performance

No issues really and my CPU is even undervolted some.

I would guess you are either running a bit too high over clock of something, too little ram (32 is absolutely the minimum) or corrupted ram

It has been glitchy for me recently too. I built a new PC last year and it was flawless but the recent updates seem to be hindering it a little. I've had the odd lock up and also, greyed out arrows in Library, but the folders are still there. It's probably operator error on my part as far as that goes but the recent lock ups, I can't explain.

Ryzen 5600 6 core, 32GB ram.

No problems for me, but I'm using a Mac so not directly comparable. The Lightroom Queen forum is usually helpful. It does mention some issues with the latest version, but mainly re Cloud syncing and some users have reverted to a previous version.

Thanks all - so seems pretty hit-and-miss - so much for the industry standard.
I've not done CCleaner in a while so will run, I tried the cache idea and tried again - it crashed outright - driver timeout - crash reports now sent to AMD and Adobe

Thanks all - so seems pretty hit-and-miss - so much for the industry standard.
I've not done CCleaner in a while so will run, I tried the cache idea and tried again - it crashed outright - driver timeout - crash reports now sent to AMD and Adobe
Another Mac user here and can't remember when last LR had any issues. It just works.

As for PC's there is no such thing as "industry standard". Lots of different hardware manufacturers all responsible for their own driver development and compatibility with your operating system which just doesn't always work as smoothly as it should.

Have you tried disabling GPU acceleration in the LR preferences?

Back