Like A Kid At Christmas!

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
1 Canon EF Zoom Lens - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM 2005-05-04 Dispatched

[smilie=b:

hehe, tracking is one of the best bits of buying new toys, enjoy :)

Bah :) Tracking is fun and annoying at the same time. My Lomo cam is somewhere between me and Vienna. It hasn't updated yet. Also, damn you for getting the 100-400 :) I'm contemplating it at the moment for motorsports but I just can't justify the £1k yet.

Congrats - it seems everyone either wants or is getting the 100-400L recently

SDK^ said:
Congrats - it seems everyone either wants or is getting the 100-400L recently

Yer, its all your fault! Those damn racing shots have totally sold it to me. I'm just deciding on whether I want to add 1.4kg to the camera or not :)

You can get just as good results with the 70-200 f4 with a tele converter.

If you use the kenko pro 300 range, you will get very good quality and save a few pennies.

I know Steve uses this combination, and I don't need to say what sort of quality images he's getting.

Oh, and its also a light lighter and more manageable to use hand held.:D

Matt said:
You can get just as good results with the 70-200 f4 with a tele converter.

If you use the kenko pro 300 range, you will get very good quality and save a few pennies.

I know Steve uses this combination, and I don't need to say what sort of quality images he's getting.

Oh, and its also a light lighter and more manageable to use hand held.:D

That doesn't have IS though. I think I'd rather get IS. I'm going to ring Jessops tomorrow and get them to price match with Warehouse Express as its a £110 saving. Then its off to Outlon Park this weekend :D

petemc said:
Then its off to Outlon Park this weekend :D
What is happening at Oulton Park ??

Postman's just delivered a parcel. Wonder what it is? :LOL:

That's impressive! - posted from Guernsey yesterday.

CT said:
Postman's just delivered a parcel. Wonder what it is? :LOL:

That's impressive! - posted from Guernsey yesterday.

That is impressive :eek: Mine has been ordered with Jessops for £1089 with a circular polarizing filter too for £56. I should hopefully have it tomorrow :D

petemc said:
That is impressive :eek: Mine has been ordered with Jessops for £1089 with a circular polarizing filter too for £56. I should hopefully have it tomorrow :D

You mad impulsive fool! :LOL: The build quality of this lens is impressive I must say. I just had a quick play and I don't think I'm going to find the push/pull zoom a problem. I think I'd better RTFM now.

CT said:
You mad impulsive fool! :LOL: The build quality of this lens is impressive I must say. I just had a quick play and I don't think I'm going to find the push/pull zoom a problem. I think I'd better RTFM now.

Yer I am impulsive :D I just figure that I could waste my time deciding, or I could order it now and have it for the weekend where I can use it at a track day on Saturday and at a city of culture dance festival on Sunday. If I didn't order it now, and did next week I would have missed out on some shots, and thats just not fun :)

No argument from me Pete, I'm the original impulse buyer - you should have a great weekend with this lens. I just realised the friction collar which adjusts the zoom sensitivity can also be used to lock the lens at any focal length which will be handy if you're working at a constant subject distance.

400mm handheld with IS - original FOV

http://www.tomkinson.org/albums/Ced-Jan/pigeon_01.jpg

and a crop which represents 1:1 reproduction of the original shot

woodpigeoncrop.jpg

I hope it arrives in time for the weekend, i'll see you on Saturday :)

Good lens that Ian - bargain! Both the above shots were taken from the kitchen window. That pile of old leaves behind Cyril is his drey. It's about 20 feet from the kitchen window, so I'm hoping to get some good shots. They're not out and about much at the moment so I guess they're rearing young.

The lens is fantastic! There's a definite technique to using it even with the image stabilisation, particularly as these critters are all so animated in their movements, so I get a fair few duff shots - mainly due to them jumping around. :LOL:

Tempt them to the ground with a few hidden hazel nuts, they love them.

Then go and pick a good spot and lie there for a bit, while snapping away.

Matt said:
Tempt them to the ground with a few hidden hazel nuts, they love them.

Then go and pick a good spot and lie there for a bit, while snapping away.

I've started ground baiting today. :LOL: We did have a lovely bird table but the squirrels wrecked it - the power of opposable thumbs. :LOL: I must admit I love watching their antics though.

OK no more squirrel pics - this guy kills me though! :LOL:

Cyril2.jpg

Some nice pictures here CT. It looks like you are loving your new toy :D

Very nice, are they cropped at all?

Steve said:
. It looks like you are loving your new toy :D

You noticed then? :LOL:

I'm really impressed with it Steve. I can see why a serious 'birder' would opt for primes, and would want to go longer, but for an all round occasional wildlife/ sports lens, this one is a no brainer. You could miss a lot of shots rummaging around in your bag and changing lenses with primes.

Steve said:
But show off the quality of the lens brilliantly. :)

Don't they just, that's a lens going onto my longer term list. Glad you're enjoying it CT :)

This is the biggest crop out of the last two pics.

originalsize.jpg

I might add the first (of the last two) was taken at 800 ISO, the last one at 400 ISO. All the shots in this thread are at 400mm hand held, The shot of the squirrel in the tree was 1/40 sec hand held.

Very nice shots there :)

Hmm, the more pics i seee taken with this lens the more I think I need one of these, I was thinking of getting a 2x converter for my 70-200 but think it may be a little difficult to hand hold without IS

Back