Lockdown Garden Spiders...Crab, Jumper, Nursery.(Extra images added).

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Back on the 4th an 5th of April, whilst under "Lockdown", I gave my garden a good session of close up/macro...……………………….Lockdown, it aint so bad!!

No images have been cropped here. All questions encouraged, cheers Paul.

1st up, a crab Spider (not a full size adult) so still some growing room.
P1070821-copy-to-800.jpg

P1360877-copy-to-800.jpg

P1360881-copy-to-800.jpg

Next up, a Jumper.
P1070888-copy-to-800.jpg

Im sure this is a male Nursery Spider (because of the palps).
P1070900-copy-to-800.jpg

That third image stand's out for me.
Good set of images.

That third image stand's out for me.
Good set of images.
Thanks for that.
I forgot to mention, the Crab Spider was found on a small Rose bush/plant (back garden).
The Jumper Spider was found on the front wall of my house(good to find another species, rather than the more common Zebra).
The Nursery Spider was found on the back of a garden spade...so without searching too hard, all manor of creatures can be found in the garden.

Nice! I particularly like the second (for the very clean and balanced composition) and the last.
Cheers for that Nick.
I know you like more info on equipment/settings used, especially since you've done extensive work with the FZ330 yourself.
So, 1st, 4th an 5th images, were shot using my FZ330, whilst 2nd an 3rd images down, were shot with my FZ50.

Nice set Paul the last is my fave

I wish I could fined any of those in my garden

Cheers for that Nick.
I know you like more info on equipment/settings used, especially since you've done extensive work with the FZ330 yourself.
So, 1st, 4th an 5th images, were shot using my FZ330, whilst 2nd an 3rd images down, were shot with my FZ50.

Thanks for the extra info Paul.

How do you decide which camera to use? Or do you just like the variety? I'm finding that with the FZ200, which I've used recently for a couple of sessions with flowers etc rather than using the G9 and 60mm macro that I usually use for flowers. It made a nice change, and a different challenge.

Thanks for the extra info Paul.

How do you decide which camera to use? Or do you just like the variety? I'm finding that with the FZ200, which I've used recently for a couple of sessions with flowers etc rather than using the G9 and 60mm macro that I usually use for flowers. It made a nice change, and a different challenge.

Thanks Nick.
I tend to use more than 1 camera at the same time(so both, or up to 3 cameras could be in use together). Like you, ive always tried to do camera comparisons over the years.
But as you say, sometimes its a challenge to try another camera set up, just for the fun of it.
I need some new batteries for my FZ50, i have 5 of em, but they dont hold a charge for very long, so im leaning more towards my FZ330, because ive have plenty of good batteries for that.
The FZ330 has touchscreen, it has 600mm zoom, its screen/monitor is good too...but the FZ50 has a fixed non moving lens, an also f/11...Both cameras have their strengths, but also some weeknesses, so using them alongside each other, is always fun.

Speaking of comparisons, you might be interested in the following - Panny FZ330 vrs Panny G80. - I walked to my local lakes this weekend(a 15 minute brisk walk from home).
Shooting a Peacock butterfly, which had its wings closed, an the bright sunlight was directly behind said butterfly, therefore i was forced to use onboard camera flash (something i dont normally do for my butterfly images). Because the Peacock has very dark wings when closed, the light was from the wrong direction, so i gave both cameras a try with flash (no diffusers used though) because i didnt take any with me!

1st up, FZ330/500D close up filter. F/5, 1/500, ISO 100. Image is not cropped.
P1080071-copy-800.jpg

Next up, Panny G80/panny 45-150mm/500D close up filter. F/8, 1/160, ISO 200. Image is not cropped.
P1110518-copy-to-800.jpg

Both images were shot within a minute of each other, they both look acceptable to me...with not a lot of difference between the two of them.
This is just the sort of comparison, that im constantly trying out, with whatever camera gear i may have on me at the time. Cheers Paul.

Thanks Nick.
I tend to use more than 1 camera at the same time(so both, or up to 3 cameras could be in use together). Like you, ive always tried to do camera comparisons over the years.
But as you say, sometimes its a challenge to try another camera set up, just for the fun of it.
I need some new batteries for my FZ50, i have 5 of em, but they dont hold a charge for very long, so im leaning more towards my FZ330, because ive have plenty of good batteries for that.
The FZ330 has touchscreen, it has 600mm zoom, its screen/monitor is good too...but the FZ50 has a fixed non moving lens, an also f/11...Both cameras have their strengths, but also some weeknesses, so using them alongside each other, is always fun.

Thanks for the additional info and thoughts.

Speaking of comparisons, you might be interested in the following - Panny FZ330 vrs Panny G80. - I walked to my local lakes this weekend(a 15 minute brisk walk from home).
Shooting a Peacock butterfly, which had its wings closed, an the bright sunlight was directly behind said butterfly, therefore i was forced to use onboard camera flash (something i dont normally do for my butterfly images). Because the Peacock has very dark wings when closed, the light was from the wrong direction, so i gave both cameras a try with flash (no diffusers used though) because i didnt take any with me!

Both images were shot within a minute of each other, they both look acceptable to me...with not a lot of difference between the two of them.
This is just the sort of comparison, that im constantly trying out, with whatever camera gear i may have on me at the time. Cheers Paul.

Yes, interesting. Quite similar, as I would expect from my own experience with both cameras. Greater depth of field for the FZ330 and greater background blur for the G80, as one would expect given the G80's (almost two stop) larger equivalent aperture of f/8 vs the FZ330's f/5..

Cheers Alf.
I have a pretty good garden for creatures(it helps that I have lots of untidy parts/areas to my garden too!!)
I would need to live much further south to have a chance of seeing Misumena vatia
or that jumper.
West Cumbria is not a spot for them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional info and thoughts.

Yes, interesting. Quite similar, as I would expect from my own experience with both cameras. Greater depth of field for the FZ330 and greater background blur for the G80, as one would expect given the G80's (almost two stop) larger equivalent aperture of f/8 vs the FZ330's f/5..

No problems Nick.
Yes, its quite difficult to set up both those cameras, so that they would be on an "even keel", for a fair comparison. I just set both of them up, as I would have normally shot that image, if I only had 1 of those cameras with me at the time.

I would need to live much further south to have a chance of seeing Misumena vatia
or that jumper.
West Cumbria is not a spit for them.
I guess we just take it for granted (down here in Kent) with the amount of species to be found, in this part of the country.
The further north you go, the less of a chance of seeing some "Southern species" that are common for us then.

Heres another shot of that Crab Spider (I took on that day) for you. Image is not cropped, cheers Paul.

P1360892-copy-to-800.jpg

Back