Long Bodied Cellar Spider

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Latin name Pholcus phalangioides, this arachnid is sometimes called the 'Long-legged Cellar Spider' - it is relatively easy to identify due to the very long legs and cylindrical body.

I found it in the garden shed - and those long legs sure make it awkward for framing!

cellar02.jpg

cellar05.jpg

cellar01.jpg

cellar04.jpg

cellar06.jpg

cellar07.jpg

cellar08-X3.jpg

Paul.

Yes, ETTL, and these were at different EV settings. The diffusion on them loses some light of course so depending where the subject is and ambient light has a big effect as we would expect.

Paul.

Yes, ETTL, and these were at different EV settings. The diffusion on them loses some light of course so depending where the subject is and ambient light has a big effect as we would expect.

Paul.

I can't use ETTL at the moment as I'm using a KX800, but one of the things I noticed when I did previously use ETTL was that I was altering the Flash Exposure Compensation compensation quite a lot. And I was also getting some inconsistencies from shot to shot of the same scene. It struck me that if I was going to have to adjust the flash level through FEC on a scene by scene basis there wasn't much difference between that and adjusting the flash level using manual mode, which made moving to a manual mode flash seem less onerous than I thought is would be. And once I did move to a manual flash I realised there was in fact an advantage over what I'd been getting with ETTL, that I wasn't getting inconsistency from shot to shot of the same scene. I'm pretty comfortable with manual flash these days. It's a bit like the transition to manual focus. I thought I wouldn't like it, that it would be more difficult and less successful, but in fact it has turned out to be fine.

Obviously, YMMV. Perhaps for example you don't get shot to shot inconsistency for a particular scene using ETTL?

I found my first 3 shots were underexposed a bit, but I think that was due to the angle and the background - the spider was on the wooden ceiling of the the outhouse to begin with then dropped off to a beam of wood below which is where I took the photo's shown. Once there, it seemed fairly consitent but I think I did dial it back to EV0 from -1/3.

I will try taking the flash out of TTL as well some time when opportunity presents itself to see if it makes any difference.

An image which was not good out of the first 3 sots taken, and I didn't use because it was basically naff, was this one below - the angle was wrong and the lighting didn't do enough. There's the unedited jpg and a processed one - neither of which I would choose to use publicly!

Attachments

• noeditceiling.jpg
    noeditceiling.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 4
  • noeditceiling-Edit.jpg
    noeditceiling-Edit.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 5
Very nice Paul, cracking detail in the last one too (y)

Back