Looking to buy my first DSLR... Nikon or Canon? £500, models included

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had a Fuji Bridge camera now for 4 years, and feel now's the time up take the step up.

Ideally I don't want to go above £500, so I've narrowed it to:

Canon: (1100D)
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/canon-...gg_goog_7904&gclid=CLj1n9vs5q8CFaYJtAod2Rs13Q

Nikon: (D3100)
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/85586/Show.html

Both the above links come with 2 lens, the Nikon appeals more to me, but the Canon has the "better zoom" and is newer than the Nikon, with the Nikon being replaced with the D3200 next week..... But that's £650 body only

Basically all I want a camera for is to take photos at horse racing... ie close in parade ring, and zoom in for when they are racing.
And clear sharp, colour rich images.... NO blur

Any HELP greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You need to go to the shops and try them.

Then buy the one that:

Fits YOUR hands most comfortably and has the most intuitive control and menu system for YOU.
After all it is YOU that wil be using it not us.

asking us what you should buy is always going to be Nikon users saying buy Nikon, the same for Canon.

Both the models you list will take good images, it is you however that makes them great.

For £15 more what about the 550D with kit lens? It's probably not what you want to hear, but it's the camera I've just bought and it feels really good.

Though there's £30 cashback from Jessops atm (£544 - £30 = £514).

That canon twin lens kit is not one I'd buy (if you went with the canon). The 75-300 might have length, but it's got a terrible reputation for IQ. The 55-250mm IS is a much better choice on a budget, has a great reputation. You might save a few quid initial going for a bundle, but if you find yourself unsatisfied and wanting to upgrade very quickly it'll only cost you more overall (buy right buy once etc.)

Other then that, PsiFox has given you the best advice you need.

I'm asking more what to get than which is a better make Canon or Nikon, please.

Do u get 2 lenses with the 550D?

If the two I've suggested aren't that good for what I'm after I can stretch to £600 max,
If theres a better alternative ? I want sharp images, no blur, even of something going past at 35mph .. :)

Willing to go second hand? I, like you, am on the hunt for my first kit, I want something of a high quality. So to do this, I am looking for a used model :)

I prefer new.
Any more 'help' please what to buy , for what sort of photography I'm in to? Ie: horseracing

I'm asking more what to get than which is a better make Canon or Nikon, please..................I can stretch to £600 max, QUOTE]

Hi

Camera price buster is worth a look for prices http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat1.html

For your £600 budget...

I'd opt for the 550D with 18-55IS kit lens - £527 at John Lewis at the moment http://www.johnlewis.com/230882210/Product.aspx?source=46387 with £30 cashback, brings it to £497.

I'd then look at the Canon 55-250IS - £119 from FlashCamera http://www.flashcamera.co.uk/canon-...utofocus-lens-for-select-digital-slr-cameras/ Kerso (Ian) is a trader on here and is very well respected.

Very slightly over budget, but a very good starting point - but don't forget you'll need a memory card or 2 - so if you could stretch to £650, I think you'll easily be sorted with everything

It may also be worth asking if Ian does the 550D ??

Hope this is of help (y)

Many thanks for Canon advice people. As u can tell im a complete novice to all this.

Just don't want to waste my money, so am happy to pay a bit extra if it will last me years

Many thanks for Canon advice people. As u can tell im a complete novice to all this.

Just don't want to waste my money, so am happy to pay a bit extra if it will last me years

If you've any further questions, ask away...

Andy: so the lens you mentioned would able me to have very good auto focus on moving objects?
Also how long has the 550D model been out please? Is that a more 'advanced' camera than the 1100D I mentioned

i would suggest to get something a bit older and faster... Nikon D90.

4.5 frames per second vs 3 frames (on D3100)

has built in AF motor and you can get really cheap telephoto lens 70-300 which will autofocus nicely. lens (70-300) on average £60-£70

recently one body (d90) went for £325 on here

Andy: so the lens you mentioned would able me to have very good auto focus on moving objects?
Also how long has the 550D model been out please? Is that a more 'advanced' camera than the 1100D I mentioned

The 55-250IS is a good lens, especially for the price, it's AF is okay - not upto the standard of more expensive lenses -> 70-200 F4 L for example, but then is about 1/4 of the price, but it is capable system - my daughter has one an has had some great shots when she's come motorracing with me (not very often). Obviously, the more you spend, the better things get...

Canon's bodies generally go

xxxxD then xxxD then xxD and xD

Quick comparison of the 2 http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-1100D-vs-Canon_EOS_550D/specs

Last edited:
Thing with buying a model already 4 years old, I'd in another 4 years of my use makes it 8...
I was hoping to get a "recent model" :)

canon 1100D:

3 frames per second (Jpeg) and only 2 frames per second (RAW, with buffer of only 5 pictures)

Thing with buying a model already 4 years old, I'd in another 4 years of my use makes it 8...

my advice would be get yourself to jessops and try the cameras (also D90 :)).

jessops selling Nikon D90 at £529.95 for body only (and yes it's nearly 4 years old)

but the price speaks for itself :)

mewstar said:

But within your budget the best option for the purpose you describe is probably going to be an older body. The canon 40D would be another good option. It's slightly older tech again than the D90 but also excellent value for money speed wise.

An older higher tier body is definitely the best way to get performance on a budget.

What 'zoom' lens would be best for the D90 please? Sharp AF

My main reason for going from bridge camera to DSLR is my Bridge is no good for panning, nearly always blurs. Or if it doesn't blur, the image isn't sharp .

I appreciate the replies on this topic

just depends on your budget. i have sigma 70-300 OS (with optical stabilizer) (maybe about £200 used / £310 new) and it's good lens.

you can use and cheaper 70-300 (nikon,tamron,sigma etc.)

you need to crank up ISO and you won't get blury images :)

with D90 you will be able to AF old nikon lenses too (and all 3rd party lenses without BIM)

It's that or canon 550D
But two people I know with that camera (not sure what lenses) the pics they take are good, but have noise and not 'vibrant colours'.

Where I've seen people using D3100 for same subject as me (horseracing) and theirs are spot on... Rich colours and very sharp . So surely D90 is better than this. ?

The Nikon D5100 is in your budget and Nikon have got cashback on until the end of the month.

It's that or canon 550D
But two people I know with that camera (not sure what lenses) the pics they take are good, but have noise and not 'vibrant colours'.

Where I've seen people using D3100 for same subject as me (horseracing) and theirs are spot on... Rich colours and very sharp . So surely D90 is better than this. ?

just depends on what settings they were taking the pictures. (ISO, WB etc. )

You can fix everything in PP (if shooting RAW)

It's that or canon 550D

That can be down to incorrect iso, poor exposure and post processing.

Right changed my mind....

Nikon D5100,

just need a zoom lens please ??? With Image Stabilisation?
Please,?

I've found Tamron 70-300mm F4/5.6 LD Macro

But no image stabilisation?
Is that a true zoom lens, with it mentioning Macro

If you could save up a bit more the Nikon 70-300 VR is a great lens for the money.

If cost is a concern then I'd stay away from the Nikon range below the D90, reason is not because the cameras are poor but the lenses need to be AF-S (lack of focus motor in the body)

As an example the 50mm f1.8 (cracking lens for not much cash) for the D90 and is around £105 new, the same lens but with a motor which is compatible with the D5100 and below is around £170

I have taken a shine to the D5100.... Just as you pointed out struggling with a telephoto zoom lens .

What do u suggest please? £700 max for camera with kit lens plus a zoom, either canon or Nikon

I just want sharp, unblurred images with vibrant colours , with zoom also... Aslong as I can achieve that not bothered what make

mewstar said:
I have taken a shine to the D5100.... Just as you pointed out struggling with a telephoto zoom lens .

What do u suggest please? £700 max for camera with kit lens plus a zoom, either canon or Nikon

I just want sharp, unblurred images with vibrant colours , with zoom also... Aslong as I can achieve that not bothered what make

D5100 is very capable but the limitaions will see you looking to upgrade sooner than from a D90.

As for sharp, unblurred images with vibrant colours - that requires skill and talent to acheive and has little to do with the camera itself.

What kit/ lens should u choose to go with a D90 please, preferably auto focus

You seem to be tying yourself up in knots a bit!

Seeing as you're after buying new rather than second hand, it'd be the best idea to goto a camera shop and talk to them about what you;re looking for and then you can demo the camera/lens options in-store before making a decision.

Buying online is fine if you know what you're after, but i's evident that you're not sure. Other people's on a forum aren't a substitute for having a good look at the kit in the flesh

If I was buying a D90, I would go for the 18-70mm AF-S from Nikon. It is a cracker of a lens with excellent image quality. Pulls above it's weight. Available used for less than £100.00

The 70- 300 VR used is in the range of £250- £320

I know you said you like new but good second-hand kit is always worthwhile looking at.

Alternatively MPB who are usually advertising at the top of the page offer a 6 month warranty on their used equipment.

Back