Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
So.. in amongst the camera releases at Photokina we have:

• Olympus 60mm F2.8 macro
  • New Pen cameras (E-PL5, E-PM2) with OM-D sensor
  • Panasonic GH3
  • Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 (70-200 equivalent)
  • Panasonic developing 42.5 f1.2 (85mm equivalent) and 150 f2.8 (300mm equivalent)
  • Olympus developing 17mm f1.8 (34mm equivalent)

The lenses are now there to make this interesting to an enthusiast (whatever that means)! The camera bodies have sensor performance up there with the best APS-C DSLRs.

I think M4/3 has finally come of age.

I'm a bit disappointed that the GH3 has put on some girth but I suppose I'll have to handle one to see if it's significant. My G1 body is bulky enough and I don't think I really want anything significantly bulkier. I might have taken a chance and ordered a GH3 unseen had the size been kept the same.

Plus, I remain to be convinced that Panny can match the IQ of the latest Sony sensors. Personally I doubt they can.

GH3 looks immense, mag alloy body etc. only trouble is, it may be the best micro 43rd camera to date, but it's now DSLR weight and size, with no doubt a cost to match.

Particularly interested in the 60mm macro .... it's small for a macro and very reasonably priced (£430) with good features. The main reason I moved to M3/4 was size and price, so if this lens delivers with the IQ I think they'll have produced a real winner here.

2012 is a great year for enthusiasts, esp with all the new full frame offerings as well.

Hmmmm.

C1-C.jpg

C2-C.jpg

Piling on the lbs is a mistake IMVHO. I think this GH3 is probably losing my interest. Shame, I was looking forward to it.

Piling on the lbs is a mistake IMVHO. I think this GH3 is probably losing my interest. Shame, I was looking forward to it.

+1 big time.

If I'm going to carry a camera that size I choose a Canikon cropper. Much better lens line-up plus huge eco-system of 3rd party lenses / accessories / user communities etc.

The only reason I might still take the m4/3 is for long range photography. Stick a 100-300 on one get to 600mm equiv in a much smaller package, but I don't know if the AF is as good for this type of sports/wildlife photography.

Its kind of not 'micro' anymore! Same size and weight as a 650D. Not a good move IMO.

The GH3 was and is lovely looking body, but that size and and price is not what I was expecting :(

Looks like the GH3 will retail at £1099 body only. That's twice as much as a GH2. I'll wait and see how real life experiences pan out before considering one.

For me at least the GH2 is too insubstantial size wise.

Although it is a shame that the GH3 has been at the chocolate cupboard, I don't think it will affect its sales. It seems that Panasonic have embraced the videographers for whom the size/weight won't be as big an issue.

I think the keen photographers that are looking for the size/weight benefits of m43 will gravitate towards the G5 at the lower price or the OMD at the higher price and leave the GH3 to videographers.

Although it is a shame that the GH3 has been at the chocolate cupboard, I don't think it will affect its sales.

I think they're using the same logic as car manufacturers. Posh cars are bigger and they cost more. Make our camera POSH, make it BIGGER and we can charge MORE for it! :thumbsdown:

There'll still be a bulk and weight saving v APS-C + lens but it's reducing. I wanted to buy into a smaller system and the likes of the Fuji and Nex 6/7 may now be better buys for me personally.

I can't see Panny matching the IQ and dynamic range Sony and others offer today in a small package for at least another year or so, if ever. I've waited for the G5 and GH3 and I don't think they're what I want so I'll think on it but I can see my MFT gear going in the classifieds :thumbsdown:

PS. I was thinking just this morning... get a GH3 and sell my Canon gear and now this afternoon it looks like I'll be keeping the Canon gear and it'll be the MFT gear that goes. I'm massively disappointed, and I don't think I care anymore what the IQ's like :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
Bloody hell, that's more expensive that the k5 II I'm getting!

I think they're using the same logic as car manufacturers. Posh cars are bigger and they cost more. Make our camera POSH, make it BIGGER and we can charge MORE for it! :thumbsdown:

There'll still be a bulk and weight saving v APS-C + lens but it's reducing. I wanted to buy into a smaller system and the likes of the Fuji and Nex 6/7 may now be better buys for me personally.

I can't see Panny matching the IQ and dynamic range Sony and others offer today in a small package for at least another year or so, if ever. I've waited for the G5 and GH3 and I don't think they're what I want so I'll think on it but I can see my MFT gear going in the classifieds :thumbsdown:

PS. I was thinking just this morning... get a GH3 and sell my Canon gear and now this afternoon it looks like I'll be keeping the Canon gear and it'll be the MFT gear that goes. I'm massively disappointed, and I don't think I care anymore what the IQ's like :thumbsdown:

What is wrong with the OMD - that sounds liek the type of camera you should be looking at

I may look but the lack of a flash puts me off and then I start thinking about other things like losing the articulated screen, the "fan" type noise, the slight incompatibility with some lenses etc...

On the Panny side for me the G5 looks like a limp option next to the competition, still lagging behind for DR and IQ. Using an existing chip was a lazy option IMVHO when others are moving the market on and as the VF is the same I'd be stuck with the same low light issues of the display blacking out and shining a torch in my eye.

woof woof said:
I may look but the lack of a flash puts me off and then I start thinking about other things like losing the articulated screen, the "fan" type noise, the slight incompatibility with some lenses etc...

On the Panny side for me the G5 looks like a limp option next to the competition, still lagging behind for DR and IQ. Using an existing chip was a lazy option IMVHO when others are moving the market on and as the VF is the same I'd be stuck with the same low light issues of the display blacking out and shining a torch in my eye.

Seems like a bad day for you mate, not sure why your m43 gear is suddenly no good, also if nex was the answer you'd have had it all ready, right?

I'd at least wait until the real life reviews come in and you get to have a play with one

I'm interested in the E-PM2 and the 17mm f/1.8 lens. I've been looking for a more compact second body for ages, but been holding off to see what the new models are like. I'd like a nice prime to use as a walkabout lens on this body, so it made sense to wait for info on that too.

E-PL5 - looks like the perfect machine to replace my E-P2

neither oly or pany have given a genuinely compact camera with a built in evf. i'm not sure what they are up too.

Last edited:
Seems like a bad day for you mate, not sure why your m43 gear is suddenly no good, also if nex was the answer you'd have had it all ready, right?

I'd at least wait until the real life reviews come in and you get to have a play with one

I don't really see the point in waiting to handle one. It's no longer MFT IMVHO. My existing gear isn't suddenly no good, I never said that. My complaints with MFT remain the same, relatively poor DR, relatively lag in IQ when compared to the competition and a low DR light emitting EVF. I can get good shots with my MFT but can it live with Nex or Fuji for DR and general IQ? Not a chance. IMVHO nothing that Panny make up to and including the G5 can either.

Also I want to be able to slim down my Canon kit if not ditch it completely and nothing short of (possibly) the GH3 in the Panny range could have tempted me to begin to do that.

Other manufacturers have moved the game on in respect of DR and IQ and I see no point in denying that. I may still be left with the VF issues I have but at least I may get closer to retiring my Canon kit for a more compact system and that after all was the point of buying into MFT in the first place. Now Panny have seen fit to increase both bulk and weight I see no real point and no real Panny upgrade path for me personally.

As for why I haven't already bought a Nex, the 6/7 do look good but until very recently there was no standard fast prime and that was a big fail in my view. They have one now.

I'll just forget it for a few months until the kit hits the shops and then I'll have to drag myself into York or Newcasatle to try them out (Fuji and Nex 6. Panny is off the list now.) Shame. I've been a bit of a Panny fan boy and I've waited for the G5 and GH3 but neither offer what I want. They're both close, but no cigar :thumbsdown:

Loving the G5 personally, best m43 camera to date in terms of value for money, handles better than the OM-D too. But like anything in life it won't be right for everyone.

I'll just forget it for a few months until the kit hits the shops and then I'll have to drag myself into York or Newcasatle to try them out (Fuji and Nex 6. Panny is off the list now.) Shame. I've been a bit of a Panny fan boy and I've waited for the G5 and GH3 but neither offer what I want. They're both close, but no cigar :thumbsdown:

Why are the fuji and nex6 off the list? The nex6 with the new collapsible ans 35mm prime lens looks the closest to the ideal csc for me to date.

No, no. Panny is off the list. The G5 and GH3 aren't for me. Fuji and Sony are on the list.

I'm pretrty sure it'll make the GH3 look like Twiggy on a diet.

RichardtheSane said:
E-PL5 - looks like the perfect machine to replace my E-P2

Say goodbye to a thumbwheel then. Really can't see why Oly didn't put one on the E-PL5 and have the E-PM with the Wheel Of Horridness (as I call them) only.

The E-P3 was a good design but too expensive. All they had to do was trim the price a little and change the sensor but they killed the model instead. Bah humbug.

Wow, a day of m4/3 releases and you guys are all on a downer. :shrug:

I've been waiting for the new Panny MFT Gx and GHx bodies and both are disappointments for me. The G5 because it can't match the best of the competition and the GH3 because it's not MFT. I really see no upgrade in MFT for me now. Bugger.

SteveA said:

I think most of us happy ;)

I'm really liking the the 60mm macro lens from Olympus. I've also recently picked up a the G5 which is a great camera. The new Panasonic lens announcements also look really interesting, can't wait!

Last edited:
I'm pretrty sure it'll make the GH3 look like Twiggy on a diet.
Wow the hasselblad is basically a nex7 with e-mount with what looks like the interior door handle of a rover stuck on the side. EURO5,000 thank you very much!
lunar-hasselblad.jpg

Back