MacBook Pro Backup and Recovery

Bullysrus

Suspended / Banned
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
I'm new to the world of Macs, so I have brought a Mac Book Pro and I'm changing the hard disk to SSD

So how do I create a full system recovery backup as the Mac doesn't come with any disk, and then how do I recover

Thanks

Depends if you have a hard drive caddy or an external hard drive. If so, then buy Carbon Copy Cloner, use this to clone your existing hard drive to the external drive or the SSD in the caddy. You can then install the SSD and, if necessary, use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the external drive to the new SSD.

Failing that, you can install the SSD and then use this guide to do an Internet recovery - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

If you have Lion or Mountain Lion installed it should automatically create a recover partition on your drive.

If you boot to this you get several options one of which is to reinstall the software. It should automatically log on to the app store to download the latest version (This only works with Lion or Mountain Lion). You can also reinstall your data etc. from a time machine back up.

See this KB answer

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH3878?viewlocale=en_US

I keep a copy of Mounty on my TM drive in case I need to do this but can't get onto the app store

Thanks All

I'll give it ago over the weekend

Time machine will happily deal with all your apps, settings, etc. You just have the fun of installing fresh ML on your ssd.
In theory you can connect the new one in enclosure, start recovery from the main and select install to ssd. Then physically swap them over.
Or dd the recovery partition, swap and then "recover".
I am not sure about cloning actual install to SSD. The file structure may not be optimal in the end.

I am not sure about cloning actual install to SSD. The file structure may not be optimal in the end.

Using carbon copy cloner it gives you an identical, bootable OS to before. Its only not optimal if your original wasn't optimal

I wouldnt use a clone backup for an SSD restore.

Use timemachine to backup to a external drive, then install ML on your SSD then restore from Timemachine after.

Some people probably wont agree, but i know of people having issues migrating data to a SSD from a normal drive backup.

Back