Macro Lighting Advice

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning everyone,

Im after some advice, I’m look for the best lighting option for macro photography (insects, flowers etc..) for my Olympus & am trying to decide whether I’m better of getting the STF-8 Macro Twin Flash or use a single speadlight with some kind of diffusion?

many thanks,
Joe

Morning everyone,

Im after some advice, I’m look for the best lighting option for macro photography (insects, flowers etc..) for my Olympus & am trying to decide whether I’m better of getting the STF-8 Macro Twin Flash or use a single speadlight with some kind of diffusion?

many thanks,
Joe

Whether you go for a single or dual flash, there may be some advantage in getting an Olympus flash so as to be able to make best use of the camera functions. For example, Olympus lets you use flash for focus bracketing. If going for a non-Olympus flash you may want to check whether that will put any restrictions on what camera functionality you can use. (It may be fine with Olympus-compatible third party flashes. I don't know. Best to check though.)

Some people don't like the twin flash reflections/highlight areas you can sometimes get from a reflective subject with a twin flash because it look unnatural compared to a single reflection/highlight area like the sun creates. On the other hand with a twin flash mounted on the front of the camera lens you may find it easier to get the flash heads close to the subject, which can be advantageous in terms of getting enough light on to the subject and getting good diffusion. The diffusion question is complicated though, it is by no means as simple as "closer, better", although closer can be helpful by increasing the size of the light source as seen from the point of view of the subject, which is helpful for getting nice light.

Twin flashes let you balance the light better than a single flash head. For example you can have one head pointing pretty much down on the scene and another one illuminating it less powerfully from the side, which can be good for creating shadows that enhance the feeling of depth. And even with symmetrically placed flash heads you can run them at different power levels, thus helping with good shadows.

A single flash mounted on the hot shoe and pointing downwards may leave rather dark areas underneath a subject, although if you use a moderately large diffuser it may be able to throw enough light under the subject to avoid that problem.

Some people don't like the twin rounded reflections/highlight areas that you can sometimes get with a ring flash. Good diffusion may avoid that look, making it more like symmetrically arranged twin flash heads. And with a good ring flash you can unbalance the power as with a twin flash.

You might want to experiment with photographing flowers using natural light (insects etc too for that matter). The different look you can get between natural and flash light It is very much a matter of personal taste, and it depends on how you use the flash, whether as the main light source or for fill light. My personal taste happens to be very much towards natural light for flowers (and flash for insects, spiders etc), but who cares? It is your preferences that matter here.

If you haven't looked at the Show us your macro rig thread that might be a good idea. Here are some similar threads on other sites that might also be useful.

I like a single diffused flash best
Not the greatest of macro but to me it got nice "natural" light

Whether you go for a single or dual flash, there may be some advantage in getting an Olympus flash so as to be able to make best use of the camera functions. For example, Olympus lets you use flash for focus bracketing. If going for a non-Olympus flash you may want to check whether that will put any restrictions on what camera functionality you can use. (It may be fine with Olympus-compatible third party flashes. I don't know. Best to check though.)

Some people don't like the twin flash reflections/highlight areas you can sometimes get from a reflective subject with a twin flash because it look unnatural compared to a single reflection/highlight area like the sun creates. On the other hand with a twin flash mounted on the front of the camera lens you may find it easier to get the flash heads close to the subject, which can be advantageous in terms of getting enough light on to the subject and getting good diffusion. The diffusion question is complicated though, it is by no means as simple as "closer, better", although closer can be helpful by increasing the size of the light source as seen from the point of view of the subject, which is helpful for getting nice light.

Twin flashes let you balance the light better than a single flash head. For example you can have one head pointing pretty much down on the scene and another one illuminating it less powerfully from the side, which can be good for creating shadows that enhance the feeling of depth. And even with symmetrically placed flash heads you can run them at different power levels, thus helping with good shadows.

A single flash mounted on the hot shoe and pointing downwards may leave rather dark areas underneath a subject, although if you use a moderately large diffuser it may be able to throw enough light under the subject to avoid that problem.

Some people don't like the twin rounded reflections/highlight areas that you can sometimes get with a ring flash. Good diffusion may avoid that look, making it more like symmetrically arranged twin flash heads. And with a good ring flash you can unbalance the power as with a twin flash.

You might want to experiment with photographing flowers using natural light (insects etc too for that matter). The different look you can get between natural and flash light It is very much a matter of personal taste, and it depends on how you use the flash, whether as the main light source or for fill light. My personal taste happens to be very much towards natural light for flowers (and flash for insects, spiders etc), but who cares? It is your preferences that matter here.

If you haven't looked at the Show us your macro rig thread that might be a good idea. Here are some similar threads on other sites that might also be useful.
Thank you very much for your detailed advice, hints & tips! Very much appreciate.

I currently use a couple of single flash units (non Olympus) off camera for my indoor close up work studio, but for macro 1:1 outdoors of plants & insects, I have been using the natural light as I find setting up a single flash with large diffusers or trying to set up an off camera rig around such a small subject cumbersome and also the risk of distracting the subject.

And because of this & now with you very helpful tip I think I will look seriously into getting the Olympus dual macro flash, because firstly as you say it will work with the built in stacking/ bracketing features and I also think it will be less cumbersome & I wouldn’t need to worry about creating a set up around the subject I can just find it, compose the image, set the setting and shoot with it all connect in one lightweight handheld system.

Thabks again for your comment that really have helped.

Cheers, Joe :)

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your detailed advice, hints & tips! Very much appreciate.

I currently use a couple of single flash units (non Olympus) off camera for my indoor close up work studio, but for macro 1:1 outdoors of plants & insects, I have been using the natural light as I find setting up a single flash with large diffusers or trying to set up an off camera rig around such a small subject cumbersome and also the risk of distracting the subject.

And because of this & now with you very helpful tip I think I will look seriously into getting the Olympus dual macro flash, because firstly as you say it will work with the built in stacking/ bracketing features and I also think it will be less cumbersome & I wouldn’t need to worry about creating a set up around the subject I can just find it, compose the image, set the setting and shoot with it all connect in one lightweight handheld system.

Thabks again for your comment that really have helped.

Cheers, Joe :)

I hope it goes well. I expect you will spend some time experimenting with different diffusion arrangements.

Back