Macro Set ups! Whatcha got? Whad'ya using?

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
I thought this maybe interesting, What are y'all using and how do you use it?

Here's what I'm currently using although it differs occasionally, I just bash all my existing gear together to have a go! bloomin heavy though!

Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm f/2.8
Sigma Super 500 DG Flash
Nikon SB-28 Flash (never on the camera hot shoe mind)
Manfrotto bracket
Giottos monopod with a ball head. (really useful for the weight)
Handy gel frame holders that my dad made, genius is my paps.

I'd like to get some extension tubes at some point too.

I've recently had a bash with colour correction gels too, seems to work out nice.

DSCF1922.jpg

Is it obvious I have the day off?:thinking:

Last edited:
Nice bracket! Ive been looking at macro flash brackets, but I think im going to give them a miss for a while yet.

At the moment I use;

Nikon D300
Sigma 150mm f2.8
2x SB600 Flash
Lee Flashgels in diffuser

I prefer the freedom of handholding even if it is harder to get the dof right, so I don't bother using my tripod.

Nice bracket! Ive been looking at macro flash brackets, but I think im going to give them a miss for a while yet.

At the moment I use;

Nikon D300
Sigma 150mm f2.8
2x SB600 Flash
Lee Flashgels in diffuser

I prefer the freedom of handholding even if it is harder to get the dof right, so I don't bother using my tripod.

Great stuff!
Same here, hand held is my preference too but my back is a total wimp. I never use my tripod, too frustrating, it was just for the photo.

The bracket was from the states, it's a bit of a let down to be honest, after a while tightening the arms and base, they become really loose and it gets much harder to keep things inanimate.

Really like your photo's MK, top banana!

Last edited:
My macro set-up: -

Sigma 105 f2.8
Nikon 60 f2.8

8mm, 14mm and 28mm Nikon extension tubes. I am thinking of getting the PB6 bellows but don’t know where to start with that, a bit more research first I figure!

I vary the setup dependng on the mood I'm in.

Mix and match from;
30D body (occasionally 5D)
EF180L, MP-E65, EF100 (dead at the moment), EF50 compact macro or TS-E90.
Tubes, t/c's and a Life Size Converter factored in to suit.
MR-14, MT-24 or EF550X lights the stuff up.
It all gets hung on a Bogen or Gitzo tripod.

Bob

Portable

and static

That's a clever set up Robert, I really like that, what's the boom arm jobbie and where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking? As you can see my set p could do with a reduction mod or two.
I've seen the images you have taken with the damsel in the bag, absolutely stunning images :clap:(y).

The arm is a standard manfrotto flash bracket. Just looked and it doesn't have the model number on it. Pretty sure it is a 233B.

edit: Oh and there is a small hama ball joint at the end to angle the flash down

Last edited:
Sometimes it's this - I've now swapped the 1 series for a 40D.

Macro_setup.jpg

Sometimes it's the same setup but using the Canon Macro Twin light (24EX) to which I've recently added the Stofen twin mini diffusers.

The arm is a standard manfrotto flash bracket. Just looked and it doesn't have the model number on it. Pretty sure it is a 233B.

edit: Oh and there is a small hama ball joint at the end to angle the flash down

Ta very muchly indeed, you've saved me some serious back ache there! Not too expensive either which is nice (y)

Back