migrant southern hawker

I like this, Lovely colours on it too.

These always seem to blend into the BG when ever I look for them - despite being so brightly coloured ;)

That's a cracking shot Jeff

Les :)

This is Souther Hawker, Aeshna cyanea, male which is one of the commonest large dragonflies in southern Britain. Your title seems to be confusing it with the Southern Migrant Hawker, Aeshna affinis, which is a rather rare species which has been found around the Thames Estuary, in Essex and Kent, in recent years. That species lacks yellow markings on both the thorax and abdomen - all the markings are blue.

This is Souther Hawker, Aeshna cyanea, male which is one of the commonest large dragonflies in southern Britain. Your title seems to be confusing it with the Southern Migrant Hawker, Aeshna affinis, which is a rather rare species which has been found around the Thames Estuary, in Essex and Kent, in recent years. That species lacks yellow markings on both the thorax and abdomen - all the markings are blue.
I’m no expert stuart I just take the photos , this was taken at the very top of the north wales coast a couple of hundred metres from the beach. Might title comes via other people telling me what it is

Back