Milky Way over Ardvreck castle

A_S

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of shots from the highlands this week.

Ardvreck castle Bortle 1

The castle was taken just before sunset and the Milky Way in the only period of none cloud we got at about 11pm!

Foreground is R5 + 16-35 f2.8 mk2

Sky is R5 + Laowa 12mm f2.8 @ 2.8 2 minutes iso 3200

8BE1760C-B8F8-438C-AEBF-1059D81DA565.jpeg

ADDF82A2-3D5D-43A4-BBF1-AA2604E308B4.jpeg

Worked out quite well

Last edited:
Excellent work, well done :)

Reactions: A_S
If anyone has any tips on correcting the distortion to the castle in lightroom or photoshop let me know - the only method I know is adaptive wide angle and it messes up the rest of the photo or requires a lot of adjustments - you can’t just fix the castle simply

If anyone has any tips on correcting the distortion to the castle in lightroom or photoshop let me know

Bit late now but assuming that the Laowa lens was the Zero D, would it have worked better to take both shots with that rather than using the Canon?

Sorry I’m unable to help with your editing question but I have to say I think the image is fantastic.
Can I ask if you done any stacking with the sky and if so roughly how many photos were stacked?
Many thanks

Sorry I’m unable to help with your editing question but I have to say I think the image is fantastic.
Can I ask if you done any stacking with the sky and if so roughly how many photos were stacked?
Many thanks

No stacking - single image with move shoot move star tracker.

I find the key is - the more light the less the noise despite the high iso - which the R5 controls well. Hence the 2 minute exposure to capture the Milky Way as bright as possible. I actually reduced the exposure in these as a result

Last edited:
Bit late now but assuming that the Laowa lens was the Zero D, would it have worked better to take both shots with that rather than using the Canon?

I think the closer one where the castle is bigger in the frame was done with the laowa actually - but the canon is a nicer lens when something is in the foreground as you can see by the distortion using the 12mm of the laowa.

Unfortunately the canon has serious coma in the mid to corners which makes it unsuitable for the stars

No stacking - single image with move shoot move star tracker.

I find the key is - the more light the less the noise despite the high iso - which the R5 controls well. Hence the 2 minute exposure to capture the Milky Way as bright as possible. I actually reduced the exposure in these as a result
Wow I am impressed. Do you recommend the msm star tracker? I’ve looked at it but thought it seemed too good to be true compared to the size and cost of some of the larger traditional star trackers.

Wow I am impressed. Do you recommend the msm star tracker? I’ve looked at it but thought it seemed too good to be true compared to the size and cost of some of the larger traditional star trackers.

I am still getting used to it - but yes. I’ve had it a year and used it 4 or 5 times and for what I do - Milky Way - it works perfectly - you don’t even have to be 100% on the North Star alignment so it’s very forgiving

I think the closer one where the castle is bigger in the frame was done with the laowa actually - but the canon is a nicer lens when something is in the foreground as you can see by the distortion using the 12mm of the laowa.

Unfortunately the canon has serious coma in the mid to corners which makes it unsuitable for the stars
Interesting, I am surprised that the Laowa produced such distortion. In that case maybe adjust the bottom layer before adding the sky?

The foreground issue could well be solved by fe-framing it centrally (instead of having it in the bottom left corner) & then crop the bottom of the image off and pull it about in PP - ie point the camera further downwards for the foregrounds & then raise for the sky shots.

Nice shots anyway.

The MSM is a great piece of kit!

Back