Miss Charlotte - Part 2

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally, after about 7 hours of processing (the complete set of about 90 images) I've picked out another 6 that I really like and wanted to share. I've B&W converted them all, but havent posted any B&W one's here, if you want to see a corresponding B&W copy, let me know and I'll post it in a reply below

Charlotte#2-1 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Charlotte#2-2 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Charlotte#2-3 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Charlotte#2-4 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Charlotte#2-5 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Charlotte#2-6 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Cheers

Can I see some black and white ones please? Your conversions are lovely.
Numbers 123456 :D

I should add I love her smile in 2 :)

God i'm so damn difficult, i expected to prefer them black and white as i tend to favour mono over colour but now i'm not so sure, the one with the denim jacket and hat i prefer mono, i think there might be a few too many bright/hot spots that make her seem harsher especially being so young....

end result, i'm confused and can't decide. :oops: :$:D. still like the one with the flower though, its sweet

Hi Carl. You busy fella:)

Still colour for me.
Out of the B&W number one works best for me if it were not for the very bright coat (our left hand side) of which I am sure yuo can correct looking at the color version.Thats if you really wanted or needed too.

Gaz

God i'm so damn difficult, i expected to prefer them black and white as i tend to favour mono over colour but now i'm not so sure, the one with the denim jacket and hat i prefer mono, i think there might be a few too many bright/hot spots that make her seem harsher especially being so young....

end result, i'm confused and can't decide. :oops: :$:D. still like the one with the flower though, its sweet

Hi Carl. You busy fella:)

Still colour for me.
Out of the B&W number one works best for me if it were not for the very bright coat (our left hand side) of which I am sure yuo can correct looking at the color version.Thats if you really wanted or needed too.

Gaz
it has blown them out , agree, i should look a that (y) thanks T, thanks Gary :)

Another nice set Carl, Charlotte certainly has a very bright future as a model if she so desires:)

A very nice set, I hope Charlotte and her mother are very pleased. You've obviously done a good job of stopping her feeling self-conscious in front of the camera.

On to the micro picky stuff...
  • I normally like your b&w conversions but these are oversharpened or something, especially obvious around high contrast edges.
  • I don't get the flower at all but I seem to be alone in that.
  • Feel completely free to ignore me, if the result is what you were aiming for then stick with it.. but I'm not a fan of the shadows the gridded stripbox at the side is casting. In some shots this extra light is working well, in others it's detracting. I imagine you're tight on space? fwiw when I use a stripbox for as an accent then I usually try to get it a bit further behind the model.
  • Details - you could have removed the label from the underside of the hat & stray hairs over the eyes.
But that's all small beer - they're very nice indeed. I particularly like the red/orange background in the other thread.

Last edited:
@juggler do you mean the physical aspect of the flower in the image or the image/pose?

@juggler do you mean the physical aspect of the flower in the image or the image/pose?

Now you've made me think..I've never seen anyone hold a flower quite like that and the expression seems to be saying 'thank you for this gift of a flower, I'm not quite sure what I think of it.'

Maybe it would work in a garden setting? Or maybe it would work better with a more stylised pose? Perhaps that would be too knowing and fashion-y for such a young woman.

Excellent set of images and Im sure Charlotte and her mom are both over the moon with them Carl !

Now you've made me think..I've never seen anyone hold a flower quite like that and the expression seems to be saying 'thank you for this gift of a flower, I'm not quite sure what I think of it.'

Maybe it would work in a garden setting? Or maybe it would work better with a more stylised pose? Perhaps that would be too knowing and fashion-y for such a young woman.

Ok that's interesting and looking again I can now totally see where you are coming from... I was curious as to whether it was a flower/age thing or prop/studio thing...ie what works/doesn't work.

If I zoom in so it's more of a head shot like the umbrella one, I really like her expression, looks more fun/cheeky/relaxed possibly, so I don't think it was the holding of the flower that drew me in...

I found it really hard to try and pose her - being a teen, so didn't want it looking childish and at the same time, not too "above her years" so to speak - very difficult and theres not much online for posing teenagers so am a bit of a loss on how to deal with teens of that age :thinking:

I found it really hard to try and pose her - being a teen, so didn't want it looking childish and at the same time, not too "above her years" so to speak - very difficult and theres not much online for posing teenagers so am a bit of a loss on how to deal with teens of that age :thinking:

That I can totally understand, I hope you don't mind me dissecting your image with lots of 'whys'
Small kiddos are easy with toys etc and adults anything goes so to speak. So I'm curious what works for teens.

With the exception of the flower shot I think you've done really well, posing wise.

That I can totally understand, I hope you don't mind me dissecting your image with lots of 'whys'
Small kiddos are easy with toys etc and adults anything goes so to speak. So I'm curious what works for teens.
no of course not - im posting up to share my experience and help others plus hopefully pick up some useful tips, so feel free to rip-apart (y) (y)

With the exception of the flower shot I think you've done really well, posing wise.
cheers bud (y)

I will have a chat with you on the 8th mate all being well :)

Just messaged you Carl ;)

Back