More from my garden

I like the last one, I think if you could’ve got a real close up on the wings and got them all in focus almost like a stained glass window that would’ve been incredible.

I like the last one, I think if you could’ve got a real close up on the wings and got them all in focus almost like a stained glass window that would’ve been incredible.
Thanks Pete (y)
That was as close as I could get with the 100mm macro lens.

I’ve recently got a macro 100mm and having real issues getting it bang on with insects, even at a silly small aperture and with a flash, but it is fun to use.

I’ve recently got a macro 100mm and having real issues getting it bang on with insects, even at a silly small aperture and with a flash, but it is fun to use.
It takes a lot of practice, I'm proof of that :D
I'm sure your'll get there eventually (y)

Pretty good shots Chris

Pete
Show us some stuff we may be able to help out. Also starting at macro can have a success rate as low as 2%

Pesky critters, rarely stay still for long enough.

This might not be ideal but one way is to use a monopod, AF on the critter, then move backwards or forwards (this is usually by tiny amounts) until the things you want in focus are pin sharp, keep checking focus through the viewfinder, head to tail, then click. Even the reaction time between deciding to press the shutter button and actually doing it can affect the image. There are some variables, like light, wind etc but I find it works quite well. Also, be aware of the sensor plane and if you get the critter parallel to it and side on, you have a much better chance of it all being sharp. It's all a bit hit and miss at times but it's one of the joys of close up critter photography. I find that smaller apertures help too, my 100mm lens will do f2.8 but I use it at f6.3 for damsels as I like the legs sharp too. If the BG is far enough away, it will go mushy, even at f6.3. Takes a bit of getting used to but I get a decent success rate with this method.

Good light is also your friend with close ups. (y)

Back