Motorcycle racing Aintree

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
OK so this was different and a big learnign curve... letting fast moving object go accross the screen not good. was awkward in places to shoot from.. I need to stop zooming so much when shooting.. use sparingly... was there taking photos and did half an hr video.. i need to STOP taking my cameras and juts concentrate on video.. that will make a big difference.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD8JAOQDNF8

Ha Ha! it's amazing what you see wrong after the event. I spend half my time saying 'why the hell did I do that'. Zooming and panning is necessary for that kind of thing but maybe not 'twitch' zooming.

Because the bikes are going past you following the same line each time you'll have anything from 8-15 chances to get them coming past. So go for a mixture of shots, a nice wide shot then a medium shot (about half way zoomed in) and a close up shot where the bike fills the frame and if you have time get some extreme close up shots. Always start filming just before they come into view and stop after they are out of shot panning them the whole way through the section of track. Try and position yourself where you can see them appear in a corner but can pan them till they dissapear around the next corner.
The reason i suggest this is because in the edit you can swap from one clip to the next and make it look quite seamless. An example would be it starts with a wide shot showing the corner, a couple of bikes appear cuts to a close up shot of 1 bike, cuts to extreme close up, cuts to medium shot and so on.

I keep meaning to get along to a race meeting and shoot some video, i have an idea, if you have ever seen the Grand Prix title sequence (60's F1 film) I want to film something like that, i'm a huge fan of the film, i just love the look and the ways its filmed, a bike version might work well.
Grand Prix title sequence

Back