Mounting a Video Head/Gimbal in a Hide?

Edit My Images
No
I went to a bird hide on the weekend, something I don't usually do but certainly will again.

It was a probably your typical wooden shared hide with window, small shelf and benches.

The issue was there was not really any room for a tripod so ended up just resting the camera on the window but ideally would have wanted to use my video head/gimbal.

Just wondering what options there are for mounting these to either the window or bench, something like a clamp that could be attached to either? or maybe a small heavy duty table tripod?

I went to a bird hide on the weekend, something I don't usually do but certainly will again.

It was a probably your typical wooden shared hide with window, small shelf and benches.

The issue was there was not really any room for a tripod so ended up just resting the camera on the window but ideally would have wanted to use my video head/gimbal.

Just wondering what options there are for mounting these to either the window or bench, something like a clamp that could be attached to either? or maybe a small heavy duty table tripod?
There are such things as "hide plates" heavy(ish) metal squares with a tripod screw in the middle that do just what you described.

Also, there are hide clamps and these as the name infers clamp to the edge of the shelf.

Both presuppose that the shelf is large enough & stable enough i.e. does not vibrate/move if leant on or otherwise affected by other users in the hide.

FWIW I have used my Moman mini/table tripod with my Whimberley gimbal for shelf usage. NB the legs can be splayed flat for such a purpose.

Last edited:
There are such things as "hide plates" heavy(ish) metal squares with a tripod screw in the middle that do just what you described.

Also, there are hide clamps and these as the name infers clamp to the edge of the shelf.

Both presuppose that the shelf is large enough & stable enough i.e. does not vibrate/move if leant on or otherwise affected by other users in the hide.

FWIW I have used my Moman mini/table tripod with my Whimberley gimbal for shelf usage. NB the legs can be splayed flat for such a purpose.

Thanks, I've searched clamps and plates but not really finding anything suitable.

My preference was probably a small shelf tripod, but obviosuly one strong enough to take heavy canera and lens. RRS do a nice one but its very, very expensive.

What version of the Moman do you use?

This is the one I have ..

Not sure why the TP filter changed the URL thx mods :)

However, IIRC I bought mine here ...

IIRC you can also buy it with a mini ball head but I bought just mini pod.

I also have a Manfrotto table tripod and when needed for zoom calls using my phone I use that head on the Moman.

But back to the point, as mentioned I have used the Moman with my gimbal and it has been fine but does need a decent width hide shelf to use it on. At this time I cannot recall the measured width required to ensure that all 3 feet ends are on the shelf?

Last edited:
You should try a bean bag!

I was going to, the problem I had was the shelf was a fair bit lower than the window and winow was awkward for resting the bean bag on on, well the type i had anyway, plus I do a fair bit of video and would have like to use my video head to make things a bit smoother,

I sometimes use a opticron hide clamp , mainly use it for a scope but have used it with my camera , using the centre pole from my tripod , but prefer a bean bag

I looked at the opticron, the only options were clamp only and clamp with cetre column and head. I don't need the head so ideally the clamp and centre column as I my tripods dont have centre columns. Maybe I'll get the clamp and try to find a centre column on ebay.

Cheers all

Last edited:
I was going to, the problem I had was the shelf was a fair bit lower than the window and winow was awkward for resting the bean bag on on, well the type i had anyway, plus I do a fair bit of video and would have like to use my video head to make things a bit smoother,

I looked at the opticron, the only options were clamp only and clamp with cetre column and head. I don't need the head so ideally the clamp and centre column as I my tripods dont have centre columns. Maybe I'll get the clamp and try to find a centre column on ebay.

Cheers all
I have not been to a large number of permanent hides but have never seen one where the shelf was markedly lower than the window aperture.

There are beanbags for car use that are designed to straddle the window/car door with window fully open. Such a beanbag might work for that 'your' hide?

Edit
Such as here with their double beanbag design

NB I recall, though not the maker, a double beanbag with a tripod point at the top for use with a gimbal.

Last edited:
@Jase

Perhaps look at other hides?

This one maybe

One picture shows the 'window' and it's shelf/cill
It does not look wide enough to use my Moman.
However, looking at the picture I can see it has been built with wheelchair users in mind i.e. space to roll forward and the user to get their elbows up on the shelf.
Such a space also lends itself (in the absence of wheelchair 'first' usage) to set up a tripod with leg forward into that space. .....though IMO you would need the elevation of a short centre column!

@Jase

Perhaps look at other hides?

This one maybe

One picture shows the 'window' and it's shelf/cill
It does not look wide enough to use my Moman.
However, looking at the picture I can see it has been built with wheelchair users in mind i.e. space to roll forward and the user to get their elbows up on the shelf.
Such a space also lends itself (in the absence of wheelchair 'first' usage) to set up a tripod with leg forward into that space. .....though IMO you would need the elevation of a short centre column!

Thanks for both replies, I'm going to take a couple of things with me later this week and see what works best.

And thanks for the link to the Bird Hide at Scolton Manor, I don't know they has hides there Although I'll wait a month or so before going there so there are not so many tourists, I drove past it on Sunday and their car park was packed.

Jase I don't use our typical bird hides alot. so all this might need taking with a pinch o salt...I have big old double bean bag, twas a pressie think it came from amazon, the other options are maybe a benro or induro hi hat tripod.I own an older ali version not carbon fibre, tis a lump will support anythiing ( 'erm I'd think) still photowise i've just linked the first I came across as an idea of what I mean

there is also a young tog making what is basically a plastic frying pan with head mount.damned if I can remember a product name.saw it on one of Dan Willis's vids...........I think togs call this type of frying pan contraption a skimmer.folks have been cobbling them up for ages to push a big lens across the ground for low POV images. The plastic one is the first I have personally seen professionally made if ya like. It's about £60 Preddy sure made in Wales but might be wrong, def UK though

I did a google for ya Jase looks like this buddy

I'm unsure if these will help you bro.think i've used the hihat in a hide. but as before I'm usually stalking down low so tend to hand hold but a couple of off the wall ideas.there are other smaller forms of hi hat about mate
best of luck
stu

@Stuart Philpott

Your link to the Skimmer pod ........lead me one of their other products......the double beanbag with a fitment to mount a Gimbal.

None too sure if that was the one I recall, though have not searched to look for others that do so.

Jase I don't use our typical bird hides alot. so all this might need taking with a pinch o salt...I have big old double bean bag, twas a pressie think it came from amazon, the other options are maybe a benro or induro hi hat tripod.I own an older ali version not carbon fibre, tis a lump will support anythiing ( 'erm I'd think) still photowise i've just linked the first I came across as an idea of what I mean

there is also a young tog making what is basically a plastic frying pan with head mount.damned if I can remember a product name.saw it on one of Dan Willis's vids...........I think togs call this type of frying pan contraption a skimmer.folks have been cobbling them up for ages to push a big lens across the ground for low POV images. The plastic one is the first I have personally seen professionally made if ya like. It's about £60 Preddy sure made in Wales but might be wrong, def UK though

I did a google for ya Jase looks like this buddy

I'm unsure if these will help you bro.think i've used the hihat in a hide. but as before I'm usually stalking down low so tend to hand hold but a couple of off the wall ideas.there are other smaller forms of hi hat about mate
best of luck
stu

Thanks stu, the tripod you linked is very much like the RRS one I looked at but a lot cheaper that the RRS version. Cheers. I have a skimmer pod, it’s ideal for when you’re lying down on a beach or something but not for a hide.

I have just looked at a platypod base which I can put the head on with a riser if need be.

@Stuart Philpott

Your link to the Skimmer pod ........lead me one of their other products......the double beanbag with a fitment to mount a Gimbal.

None too sure if that was the one I recall, though have not searched to look for others that do so.

Thanks! After seeing that I think I may have one in the garage. It came unfilled and I made a mess of filling it back then and never used after my first use. Need to have a search tomorrow :)

Thanks stu, the tripod you linked is very much like the RRS one I looked at but a lot cheaper that the RRS version. Cheers. I have a skimmer pod, it’s ideal for when you’re lying down on a beach or something but not for a hide.

I have just looked at a platypod base which I can put the head on with a riser if need be.

Thanks! After seeing that I think I may have one in the garage. It came unfilled and I made a mess of filling it back then and never used after my first use. Need to have a search tomorrow :)
IIRC another member here was using a platypod it was either @RedRobin or another member who has since TP. I think I recall reading that he used on his kitchen windowsill

Edit ~ it was @RedRobin
Here

Last edited:
I make/sell a hide clamp...

1723587992806.png

It works as a clamp/platform for mounting a head, and as a dual clamp to secure a monopod. Because the monopod transfers the weight to the floor, it can support a lot of weight in either mode (assuming the shelf itself is sturdy).

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

It's actually a conglomeration of off the shelf parts; the only part I fabricate is the top plate... It's also rather inexpensive, but international shipping/VAT adds a bit.

I also offer other possible solutions (hide plate, safari clamp, beanbag helper/skimmer); but the hide clamp seems like the best fit IMO.

IIRC another member here was using a platypod it was either @RedRobin or another member who has since TP. I think I recall reading that he used on his kitchen windowsill

Edit ~ it was @RedRobin
Here

Thanks again :)

View attachment 431134

It works as a clamp/platform for mounting a head, and as a dual clamp to secure a monopod. Because the monopod transfers the weight to the floor, it can support a lot of weight in either mode (assuming the shelf itself is sturdy).

View attachment 431135

View attachment 431136

It's actually a conglomeration of off the shelf parts; the only part I fabricate is the top plate... It's also rather inexpensive, but international shipping/VAT adds a bit.

I also offer other possible solutions (hide plate, safari clamp, beanbag helper/skimmer); but the hide clamp seems like the best fit IMO.

That looks great and good price, but as you say postage and duty/vat would be pretty steep

View attachment 431134

View attachment 431135

View attachment 431136

Steve can I just quietly add you are a genius............ because you are a wildlife tog , 'n' make cracking pics you see our problems and make and mill simple solutions.....doff of cap buddy !!

You don't say what sort of tripod you have. If it is Manfrotto, then they do a hide clamp that takes the centre column from their tripods. So you simply take the centre column out of your tripod with the optics already attached and slip it into the clamp. I've had one for years and it works really well. Its a sturdy and well made clamp. A common problem is that if somebody walks around in the hide then all the vibrations get transmitted through the structure! With this solution I haven't had any problems with how far the shelf is positioned below the window because you can adjust the height however you like within the available length of the centre column.

clamp.jpg

Back