MPB - how accurate are their "instant valuations"

I’ve used MPB quite a few times and have always had an excellent experience, the last transaction was for Canon M50 and a Fuji X-Pro 1, after they received the cameras they increased the offer ! I advertised them here, as I always do, but some people unrealistically want to pay the same as MPB are offering, then you gotta add postage on top. It’s definitely a lot less hassle to use MPB imo.

@ecoleman stated "In fact looking back at previous purchases from them all of my invoices, regardless of value have 99p VAT. Something fishy going on there."

Oh! I see - as I said I'm rusty - I would think that they will have taken "advice" and of course they will, (should) have the regular dreaded visit from the VAT Inspector

the rate VAT applicable to the Margin Scheme was always a little less than the full rate
Not so, the VAT rate is the same

?. The rate according to Gov.UK and as mentioned above is 16.67%.
I stand corrected, it's been a few years since I used the margin scheme so things have changed. I never paid margin VAT @ 1/6th of the profit.

The way an accountant explained the 1/6th profit VAT rate is that the profit is considered as the amount including the VAT so the VAT owed is 1/6th of the total profit - real profit + 20% of real profit = 120% so the VAT part of the total is 1/6th of the 120%...

Back in the days of the 17.5% rate, that was chosen because it was supposedly easy to work out - 10%, then half of that then half of that, so £100 + £10 + £5 + £2.50. Simple, innit!

Reactions: zx9
@ecoleman stated "In fact looking back at previous purchases from them all of my invoices, regardless of value have 99p VAT. Something fishy going on there."
It's probably a default in their accounting software that requires a notional VAT amount. With the margin scheme you shouldn't receive a VAT invoice and in fact the seller wouldn't want to issue one as you could work out their profit on that item

Back