My first proper attempt at product photgraphy

wez130

Steak,wedges and a pint
Edit My Images
Yes
So i've spent the last month or so buying into the product / portrait photography scene and built a studio (ish). Here is my first attempt, I know the label is not exactly central but I feel it's a pretty decent starting point, and i'll be spending today improving on it, but it's always good to get some more feedback ;)
This was backlit and bottom lit with 2 cheap LED panels, and then lit from the side with a Godox AD200 pro and strip lightbox and reflected from the other side. Next attempt i'll move the bottle forward and use a longer lens for more compression to blur the background more, straighten the label anf light the other side with my other AD200 and softbox.

Editing is basic tweaks to contrast, lighten the background slightly and adde vignette

53683019180_8399867308_b_d.jpg[img]

1. You want to use extra diffusion panels, even a reflector core or a thick bedsheet.

2. Background. I hope I don't need to explain why this is not going to fly. Presuming this bottle is too dark to be backlit in the first place, and considering you didn't setup your background at all, you need to cut the whole thing out and make one in photoshop

3 Label really needs to better lit. IF you can't do it in a single exposure, and I'm not suggesting you must, you can do multiple...

1. You want to use extra diffusion panels, even a reflector core or a thick bedsheet.

2. Background. I hope I don't need to explain why this is not going to fly. Presuming this bottle is too dark to be backlit in the first place, and considering you didn't setup your background at all, you need to cut the whole thing out and make one in photoshop

3 Label really needs to better lit. IF you can't do it in a single exposure, and I'm not suggesting you must, you can do multiple...
1. I've read this elsewhere too, I'll give that a shot

2. Completely agree with that, I used corflute as I couldn't find a diffuser / plexiglass sheet similar to that in this video that I was trying to 'replicate'
View: https://youtu.be/zoLbmJveS-c?si=Kv6s2hyOyUYKAO2m

3. I've also seen videos where composites of 2 or more shots have been used. this shot was basically my first experiment into learning strobe photography AND product photography, and i'm in such a tight space to do it atm too! I'm going to set up different and practice some more today though.

53682910541_a56fbbbd61_b_d.jpg

Love to see a photo you have taken just after you drank it all :runaway:

Last edited:
The bottle sweat is a good idea. But it looks a little funky.

Back