Nairn Scotland.. Anything I must see ?

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Last two weeks in July booked.. Self catering... Nairn Scotland... Been to Scotland a couple of times and loved it.. This time getting to all the places not seen before... Such as a trip to Skye.. I love driving and will enjoy the 4-5 hr round trip :) Also taking in Eilean Donan Castle on way and Strome Viewpoint on way back ... Having already done Loch Ness and Inverness last time... want to discover the east side... Did the dolphins at Chanonry point last time so will find a new location Nairn side.. Maybe fort george

I have covered north of inverness up to john o groats and dunnets head etc so nairn and east area ? Anyhting I might not find on google I must see ? Photo ?

Planned to be there for inverness highland games but there off as is just about everything else so its all sightseeing

It depends on what you like…

Nairn beach
Findhorn. Beach, and village.
Fort George is worth a visit, even if only to see how defences evolved and eventually became redundant
Culloden is a bit touristy, but carries a lot of historic significance
The Black Isle, Cromarty, the oil rigs. The clootie tree
Various places to see dolphins

As you are a sports photographer, Ross County and ICT :p

It depends on what you like…

Nairn beach
Findhorn. Beach, and village.
Fort George is worth a visit, even if only to see how defences evolved and eventually became redundant
Culloden is a bit touristy, but carries a lot of historic significance
The Black Isle, Cromarty, the oil rigs. The clootie tree
Various places to see dolphins

As you are a sports photographer, Ross County and ICT :p

I had to google " The clootie tree " I will try to find it next ta :) The rest are in my sights now.. thanks

Strathpeffer is a Victorian Spa town, which did have an interesting secondhand bookshop. Haven't been for a while.

You've probably seen Red Kites, but there is an RSPB place here. Never been to it...!

If you like fascinating golf courses, Fortrose and Rosemarkie is on an interesting spit out into the firth. It's not far (by boat...) from Fort George and its pet cemetery...

If you want a long, wild and off-beat drive, go Lairg, Loch Shin, Laxford Bridge and back down the West coast, dodging Campervans. Or up to the Flow Country and Forsinard. Bear in mind (you probably know this) that many of the roads are narrow, with passing places, and so average speeds are much slower and you can't use distance as a good measure of time.

Strathpeffer is a Victorian Spa town, which did have an interesting secondhand bookshop. Haven't been for a while.

You've probably seen Red Kites, but there is an RSPB place here. Never been to it...!

If you like fascinating golf courses, Fortrose and Rosemarkie is on an interesting spit out into the firth. It's not far (by boat...) from Fort George and its pet cemetery...

If you want a long, wild and off-beat drive, go Lairg, Loch Shin, Laxford Bridge and back down the West coast, dodging Campervans. Or up to the Flow Country and Forsinard. Bear in mind (you probably know this) that many of the roads are narrow, with passing places, and so average speeds are much slower and you can't use distance as a good measure of time.

Nope never done anything like red kites... Will check it out ta :) Although I love driving I hate one track roads as does the missus.. yeagh I know lots of them in scotland as well.. I try to avoid:(

A vote for Findhorn Bay at Sunset.
I worked there for 5yrs at RAF Kinloss, and witnessed some spectacular events looking westward over the Bay to the mountains in the backdrop. 30sec walk from the roadside too (unless it's changed from my departure in 1983)
Have a great time

Nope never done anything like red kites... Will check it out ta :) Although I love driving I hate one track roads as does the missus.. yeagh I know lots of them in scotland as well.. I try to avoid:(

I found the Tollie kites a bit underwhelming, and they only come in for feeding at about 1.30 or 2.30, so you'd need to check that. If you're happy to travel east a bit there are a few quaint coastal villages such as Portsoy, Gardenstown and Pennan, but check them out on the Undiscovered Scotland website as they may not be for you. I'm not a bird photographer either, but found the RSPB Troup Head site to be worth a visit last week. There weren't any chicks yet, so I'm thinking the gannets will still be there in late July. Photos with Fuji X-T2 and 55-200 (300 equiv)

DSCF6811-copy.jpg-tp.jpg

DSCF6824-copy-adj-copy-tp.jpg

Sure the East Coast villages all have character, also whisky country "the whisky trail" may be back up and running.
Loch Garten if you're into birds, this is the home of the Ospreys. It's a national park so nice walks etc.

Birds sound good.. I find holidays is the time to try new stuff.. Although not nature or landscape myself I am still pleased with my Dolphins and Pufin pics from the last trip to Scotland and you can't really fail to get a nice landscape :)

All depends what you want.

Clava Cairns near enough to Culloden for a quick stop especially if fan of Outlander.

Pluscarden Abby if open it has been shut due to coronavirus.

Not that far to the Cairngorms.

Loch an Eilein, Lochan Uaine to name a few but plenty of landscape opportunities.

Telford's bridge at Craigellachie

If birding is your thing Aviemore Osprey's or Rothiemurchas hides many others are available. Various areas in strathspey Crested Tits, Crossbills and Capercaillie.

Whisky, distillery tours my favourites being Balvenie, Glenlivet and Macallan, drinking, the Mash Tun Aberlour, the Highlander Inn Craigellachie or if you feel like splashing the cash The Quaich Bar at the Craigellachie Hotel.

Dunrobin Castle.

Drive the coast as far as Pennan some nice little costal towns and villages Crovie, Cullen and Portsoy being my favourites, the ice cream shop in Cullen is particularly good.

If you are into walking have a look at the Walks section on the WalkHighlands site. Lots of walks in all areas of Scotland everything from gentle strolls upwards. All come with descriptions and photos so you can get an idea if they interest you.

Going south from Nairn is the A939. This will take you to Grantown on Spey and on to Tomintoul and then over Lecht. This is one of the major ski centres in Scotland. In July there won't be any skiing but this road gives a good introduction to the Cairngorms. It is a great road and a few years ago we drove along it in June and it was snowing heavily.

Dave

Depends on what you like doing but from Nairn: A couple of hours before low tide you can wander out along east beach past the short remains of the WW2 anti glider poles and keep walking along the beach. Don't try to cross to the Old Bar before it's basically dry as otherwise the sand gets a bit sinky in places. Keep an eye on time. Easiest access for east beach is from Kingstep car park.

Sometimes see dolphins from the entrance to the Nairn around high tide-ish.

Along from west beach is Whiteness Head.

Other end of Culbin has a network of paths and stuff to see. Get a map from Wellhill car park. You can walk/cycle to Findhorn Bay.
The Gut has loads of tall anti-glider poles which is a bit of a sight the first time. Fisherman's hut on an island amongst the mud flats there too. And sometimes you can see and hear the seals out on the bars.
Hill99 trail and tower if you like getting above canopy - but not a great view for photies.

Other places we like:
Lochindorb, for wee castle remains out in the loch.
Dulsie Bridge.
Randolphs Leap from Logie Steading is pretty cool.
Grantown is nice wee town, and at Carrbridge is of course a cool bridge.
Fyrish monument over at Alness.
Roseisle beach is pretty quiet, with more WW2 defensive stuff.
You can walk from Hopeman towards Lossie for a bit for caves and hidden coves.

I am NOT a landscape photogrpaher and have no info on the subject.. I know nothing.. But I took some pics of what I thought looked nice... Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7

Went on a long trip to isle of Skye..

Attachments

• wed_02.jpg
    wed_02.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 11
  • wed_10.jpg
    wed_10.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 13
  • wed_03.jpg
    wed_03.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 13
  • wed_21.jpg
    wed_21.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 12
  • wed_31.jpg
    wed_31.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 10
Corner of eye saw this when leaving Skye.. Guessing its been done to death.. Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 .. missus KIPAX :)

wed_34.jpg

wed_35.jpg

Been along the coast over last couple of days.. Elgin, keith, burghead (like a pier with a town on it) lossiemouth (nice) and other places on coastal rd... yesterday ended up in Aberdeen... went in center.. massive place... also had to check out the football ground aberdeen_06.jpg

aberdeen_02.jpg

Highly recommend going to Applecross, over the Bealach na Ba. Amazing drive with incredible scenery. Nice wee pub when you get there with amazing seafood.

Been to rogie falls this morning.. now on West coast at ullapool waiting for the most expensive fish and chips of the week :) starving though. Nice drive here

Hah! Lots of things to see on the West coast...

Todays little jaunt.. lots of stopping and turning off to see things.. 9am to 6.30 day out :) Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7

highlands_01.jpg

highlands_08.jpg

highlands_09.jpg

highlands_11.jpg

highlands_13.jpg

highlands_15.jpg

I UPLOAD 1400 WIDE.. NOT SURE WHAT tp DOING WITH THEM BUT yuk :(

resized a bit smaller see if these fair better from todays outing.. a9 towards john o groats... at Tairn the mermaid of the north... hot afternoon as well :)

1DXS8000.jpg

1DXS8009.jpg

1DXS8042.jpg

1DXS8046.jpg

Back