New card reader for CFe-B with unique capabilities...

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I reviewed a new CFe-B card reader that allows you to monitor card health, lifespan, and operating temp. And allows you to re-initialize a card to as new state (as near as possible); far more complete than a full format or secure erase.
Most cards use triple level cell memory which is much more prone to wear and errors. This card reader could be a very useful tool, and it's pretty fast (20Gb/s).

Most think a "full format" on a CF-e (NAND memory) is quite involved... it really isn't, and it really doesn't do much of anything to improve performance/life.

View: https://youtu.be/-Wm_s_1nL_E?si=-alTbqeTCWiKYR2Y

It's now available on Amazon, and the price is quite good given what it can do... no, this is not sponsored in any way.

Interesting product. I already own two CFE-B card readers so I'm not in the market for another one. However, as a new product I'm very surprised that they didn't make it USB4, since recent macbooks and Intel/AMD desktops are now introducing USB4 as standard. CFExpress 4.0 cards are also now available.

Interesting product. I already own two CFE-B card readers so I'm not in the market for another one. However, as a new product I'm very surprised that they didn't make it USB4, since recent macbooks and Intel/AMD desktops are now introducing USB4 as standard. CFExpress 4.0 cards are also now available.
My M1 barely does 10G :mad:. The only 4.0 cards I know of are ProGrade... and no camera can use them fully yet. But it does make a difference if you are downloading large amounts of data... it would have been better.

Delkin also have 4.0 cards available now: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/delkin-power-512gb-3650-mbs-cfexpress-type-b-4-0-memory-card-3171752/

I expect the forthcoming R5 Mk II and R1 will support these cards even if they can't fully utilise the performance available. As you mention, the big difference for me would be downloading 200+Gb of RAW photos and video files during the lunchbreak of an event when I need to get them processed quickly. My current laptop and desktop at home only have 10 and 5G ports at the moment, but I am hoping to upgrade later this year and thinking including USB4 will be the minimum spec. Potentially cutting down transfer times from say 12 minutes to 3 would make a massive difference when you only have a 20-30 minute window to get things done.

Back