New medium format user in the throng!

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
Just did a swap with a mate for some camera equipment in exchange for his Mamiya RB67 and a load of film so looking forward to giving that a whirl!

Any hints/tips/advice that anyone can pass my way would be more than welcome! It's just the basic camera with a Prism finder (would prefer a waist level finder though!) and a 90mm lens.

What's a good wide angle lens for this camera? How about metering? Would my D700 make a good meter for it? I have ordered a Sekonic meter so will be giving that a whirl but need to do some reading on metering with those!

Am well chuffed and pretty excited at the prospect of using this thing!

Cheers!

Welly

A fine machine.

The 50mm and 180mm are good additions to the system.

Whilst the D700 would be fine as a meter, it's a bit big really.

Steve.

A fine camera! Make full advantage of those bellows!

Your D700 will make a good meter, as long as you get the ISO the same and factor in bellows compensation (there's a table on the side of the bellows in the RZ67, hopefully it's the same with the RB67.)

what type of film are you going to be shooting with the camera? If its slide film i would set your meter to over expose by half - 2/3rd stop. This is something that i do with mine, i usually find that the little extra exposure gives alot brighter slides, and the colours tend to be alot better. Just one way to think about metering.
good luck

what type of film are you going to be shooting with the camera? If its slide film i would set your meter to over expose by half - 2/3rd stop. This is something that i do with mine, i usually find that the little extra exposure gives alot brighter slides, and the colours tend to be alot better. Just one way to think about metering.
good luck

Strange, as the common perception is to underexpose by 1/3 to 1/2 a stop to saturate the colours and stop the highlights burning out.

Personally, I would bracket your first slide film by 1/2 a stop either side and see what works for you. Okay, you will only get 4 individual images from that roll, and only 3 of the images with the bracketing.

Once you have had the film processed you will be much better placed to know what works for you (Bet the underexposed shots win though).

Not to mention that exposure and development techniques depend on what you're going to do with the negative. Scan vs print, etc.

Do you know what you're going to do about development, scanning, printing etc. yet?

Not to mention that exposure and development techniques depend on what you're going to do with the negative. Scan vs print, etc.

Do you know what you're going to do about development, scanning, printing etc. yet?

There's a processing place around here that isn't too expensive for development. Scanning.. still figuring that one out!

Back