New Netbook !

Raymond Lin

I am Groot
Name
Raymond
Edit My Images
No

Picked up one of these for the commute to work for some light surfing, and Divx watching over the weekend.

Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 512mb RAM (soon to be 1.5G), 160G HD (with expansion slot for SD) running Windows 7 Beta :)

£150 :woot:

Yowzers that's cheap. I was looking at an nc10. Was that second hand or retail?.

cool, looks swell - i must get one of these to satisfy the inner g33k :D

Yowzers that's cheap. I was looking at an nc10. Was that second hand or retail?.

Retail, Asda. Get them quick !!!

The same model is £200 on Amazon.

I thought about the NC10, but its TWICE the cost...which i couldn't justify for using it for only 90mins a day for watching Divx !

Just been on the Asda website. Is that the one running Linux?

i got one of these a while back! i got the solid state hard drive version which is mega quick!

on the 8gb hdd i managed to get
windows xp
cut down photoshop cs3!
cut down office 2003

I have an ASUS 701 4GB Surf which i love to bits, win XP, Photomechanic and PS CS3 all run fine - all full versions just creative use of the SD card :)

added to a mobile broadband dongle and i have the internet pretty much anywhere :)

For £150 I'd get one just cos. Even though I'm not a Windows fan, they're so light and great for days out. But now that I think of it, my iPhone covers almost all of the requirements for a mobile device.

Netbooks are great :) I went for the 10" widescreen Advent 4211 from the Purple Shop, upgraded it to 2GB memory, and use the MSI Wind BIOS instead of the shoddy Tech-Guys one. I run e-book software on it as well, nice to be able to choose between a book and a film while away;)

Film canister in pic for scale...
imgp0545fc8.jpg

For £150 I'd get one just cos. Even though I'm not a Windows fan, they're so light and great for days out. But now that I think of it, my iPhone covers almost all of the requirements for a mobile device.

But the option of putting Photoshop on it...just coz you can ! :p

For me, it's a commute movie/tv watching first, web second. work third.

I have already put Office 2003 on it (just outlook, word and excel), and left out powerpoint, access and frontpage.

It has a built in SD card reader too so if you camera uses SD cards you can take advantage of the 160G storage and use it onsite at a job to download some photos. And if you really feel like it, edit some photos too between the wedding and reception.

Also, because it's so "cheap" compared to every other PC/Laptop i've hard, I am not going to kill myself if it gets stolen or break it.

The price really does make me think. It's so damn cheap. So much kit for that price. Fits into my man bag. Not sure about processing on the fly. But yer at £150 you're not added about leaving it in your car. Good for days when I need a laptop but don't wanna carry or leave in my car.

Processing wise they aren't great at-all. But you can bung leopard on their in an hour or so, so mini-mini mac for £150 with basic editing. not too shabby.

benneh,

I have one of these and hate Linux (probably ignorance) I would like to put Leopard on it but have not got a clue where to start or how.

Only need to run Firefox, mail, pages and aperture?
Any help on how to do this would be great.
Even better if you can pm me a simple guide.

Thanks
Ian

benneh,

I have one of these and hate Linux (probably ignorance) I would like to put Leopard on it but have not got a clue where to start or how.

Only need to run Firefox, mail, pages and aperture?
Any help on how to do this would be great.
Even better if you can pm me a simple guide.

Thanks
Ian

PM'd ;)

i think i read somewhere the wireless isnt compatible with osx:shrug:

Very cool. I'll be having a look for one of these in my local :D

EDIT: Uhh, sorry for being dumb but...how did you get Windows 7 on there without a CD/DVD drive? :shrug:

Very cool. I'll be having a look for one of these in my local :D

EDIT: Uhh, sorry for being dumb but...how did you get Windows 7 on there without a CD/DVD drive? :shrug:

I have a Xbox 360 HD-DVD add on :)

You can do the same and boot it from USB, i know lots have done it.

Both of the ones i just picked up from Ashton-under-Lyne Store were 160GB'ers, and they have 12 more in stock - all Blue

I have a Xbox 350 HD-DVD add on :)

You can do the same and boot it from USB, i know lots have done it.

Ahh. Yeah I've just done a bit of searching around myself :) gonna pop down in a bit and take a look at one of these.

None in stock round here :( tried two stores. One may have more in Friday though.

popped up tonight and got one:) bargain, the op system already installed isnt that bad in truth, so i will stick with it for a bit to see what i think

GLAD MY LOCAL ONLY HAD THE ONE!!!:LOL:

Are they coming with windows as standard or Linux? The only one's i've seen are linux, and how do you convert them? Thanks

Are they coming with windows as standard or Linux? The only one's i've seen are linux, and how do you convert them? Thanks

The same way you install windows on any PC, i used an external DVD rom, otherwise you'll need to use a USB stick or a USB HD

The same way you install windows on any PC, i used an external DVD rom, otherwise you'll need to use a USB stick or a USB HD

I used a bootable USB stick and a TINYXP installation with all the crap stripped out on one of mine last night when i was testing.

I'm going to pop down to my local asda now!! I've been looking at netbooks for ages!!! Bargain!
I might need some help installing windows though. I'm not that technically minded!

I'm really tempted by this. Dammit! I've got a battery grip to save for.

I've just got one and wouldn't mind putting Leopard on it...anyone suggest how to go about this considering i'm not that computer literate?

DB

Back