Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
[font=&#65320]Sigma have announced another new lens![/font]

28-105mm F2.8-4 DG

A large aperture standard zoom lens that covers wide-angle to telephoto and is ideal for full-frame digital SLR cameras

l New and most effective coating used for minimizing flare and ghost.

l This standard zoom lens covers focal lengths from 28mm to 105mm and allows a large aperture of F2.8 at the 28mm focal length.

l The use of aspherical lens reduces various aberrations and improves optical performance.

28-105mm.jpg

Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of the new 28-105 F2.8-4 DG lens. This large aperture standard zoom lens provides superior performance both for Digital SLR Cameras and 35mm Film SLR Cameras. This standard zoom lens covers frequently used focal lengths from 28mm to 105mm and allows a large aperture of F2.8 at the 28mm focal length. It is very convenient for a wide range of applications including snap shots, indoor photography. The new multi layer lens coating and lens design reduce flare and ghost, which is a common problem with digital cameras, and also creates an optimum color balance throughout the entire zoom range. The use of aspherical lens reduces various aberrations throughout the entire zoom range and improves optical performance. This lens has minimum focusing distance of 50cm (19.7 inches) throughout the entire zoom range and it has also maximum magnification of 1:5.5. Because the front of the lens does not rotate, circular polarizing filters and a petal-type hood can easily be used.

THE SPECIFICATIONS

Focal Length :28-105mm

Minimum Aperture :F22

Lens Construction :12 Elements in 11 Groups

Angle of View :75.4°- 23.3°

Number of Diaphragm Blades :8pcs

Minimum Focusing Distance :50cm (19.7”)

Maximum Magnification :1:5.5

Filter Size :72mm

Lens Hood :petal Hood

Dimensions: Diameter 77mm (3”) x Length 81mm (3.1”)

Weight :405gr/14.3oz

SRP: :£189.99

Available fittings : Sigma AF

Canon AF

Nikon AF

Pentax AF

Konica Minolta AF

* The appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice.

For further information, please contact:

Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd

13 Little Mundells

WelwynGarden City

Hertfordshire

AL7 1EW

Tel: 01707 329 999

Email: sales@sigma-imaging-uk.com

Thats a very useful range...ala Canon's new baby ;)

I can see that appealing to the people who can't afford the Canon L lens.

Hmph, wish they would extend the wide angle to 18mm for us crop factor types. Like a posher version of my 18-125mm, f2.8 to f4 over that range would be lovely. I imagine it would be a big and expensive beasty if it were to be produced though.

Matt

I wonder if its worth replacing my Canon 28-105 which this one. Obviously the f/2.8 would be better for gigs, but given the softness of Sigmas 70-300 I am a bit worried.

petemc said:
I wonder if its worth replacing my Canon 28-105 which this one. Obviously the f/2.8 would be better for gigs, but given the softness of Sigmas 70-300 I am a bit worried.

you missed the words 'some of' out that last sentance there pete! But i know what you mean, i was thinking about this lens and wondering the same, i want to try this one out, make sure i get one as good as the 70-300(or better)that i have now, either that or spend extra on the tamrom or canon equivs

It's not an APO lens so I'd expect it to be quite soft. Best thing would be wait and let some other person beta test it for you, then read their review ;)

good point Steep, APO is much better

Well the above article (original post) suggests its f2.8 to f4

But reading this months Photography Monthly, I'm sure it stated it was 2.8 throughout.

Back