New to video

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
I've got a canon r7 and I'd like to start using it for making some short videos.
I'm ok with the technical side (well enough to get me started).
The filming will be of my dogs playing and generally running about being idiots.
All of the tutorial YouTube videos I've watched are more vlogging, food people based. Not fast moving, sport or action. I guess I need to make a simple storyboard, just so I've got some sort of idea what I want and how to set it up.
I'm not sure how long I should have between cuts, I think if the cuts are too short the video is going to look a bit choppy looking. I'd also like to add a bit of slow motion footage as well.
Any advice would be grateful, I'm total new to this and I'll only be doing this for myself and wife to watch.

This sounds like a lot of fun. How about “a day in the life” style movie capturing their characters and the things they like to do? I would film it at dog’s eye level. If you have a GoPro or similar strap it on them to capture the dogs own view too?

A few things to think about:
Video files are big, very big, think about this because trying to load and edit a dozen 20minute clips will be hard work, so keep your clips short.
In a finished video a lot of clips might only be 2-3 seconds long, 10-15 seconds is quite a long clip.
The problem with animals is they will often do nothing then once you have pressed the stop button they spring into life! So shoot lots of small clips, but start recording again asap, think of watching a Heron sat at the edge of the water looking for prey, it does nothing then suddenly springs into action, how long would you have to film to get that shot? You might shoot for 10-15mins and get 3-4 seconds of action, stop/start would break that down into 1 minute clips which are more managable.

To stop the video looking too choppy create a story, film the whole walk and break in down in editing. What makes a choppy look is when it jumps from one point to another without showing (even just briefly) the journey to get from point A to B.
Example: The dog getting out the car followed by the dog jumping in the sea which is half a mile away would give a choppy look. The dog getting out the car, its lead being put on, you both walk away, a shot of the area your walking through, more shots of the walk with the dog or both of you in it, arriving at the beach, the lead being taken off, the dog running towards the sea, then the dog jumping in the sea, coming out, shaking itself, running along the beach........................ the more shots you get that tell the story the less choppy it will look.
You'll need a tripod and have to walk back and forwards a few times to get the shots but the finished video will be something you'll enjoy watching and tells a story much better than random clips put together.

Film the dog from different angles, film from low down a lot to give the dogs point of view, get wide shots showing the surroundings, get medium shots, get close up shots where the dog fills the frame, and also extreme close ups.
Its all really how much effort you want to put in, the more clips and variety of clips you get the better the finished film will be, it will take time but your dog will love it as their normal 1hr walk will now take 2-3hrs

When you edit, watch each clip, is there something of interest in each clip? You might find that in a 1 minute clips there is a 3 second interesting bit, use that cut the rest.
And try not to zoom in and out, it looks really bad, same for fast panning.

I might be wrong but the R7 will shoot 4K at 60fps and 1080 at 100fps. Shooting at 60fps will only give you just over half speed for slow motion, where 100fps will give you a quarter speed clip.
If you are going to shoot slow-mo then just make sure its a good scene, running through water looks great, if your dog is well trained lie down on the floor with your wife behind you calling the dog so it runs to her and jumps over you, that will look good in normal speed or even better in slow-mo.
I did see a clip recently where the camera was on a long selfie stick (or monopod) and there was cheese hanging from the front of the camera and it was moved just quick enough to stop the dog from grabbing the cheese, looked great in slow-mo.

Take lots of small clips 30sec to 1 min, expect to come home with an hours footage which will make a fairly good 5min video, yes you will delete that much.

Last edited:
As an example of editing clips perhaps a shot of the dog running towards you, then cut to a shot of the dog running way from you. Doesn't have to be the same incident, just think imaginatively. I did a fil about an Autocoach run on the Watercress Line. All shot with a single camera, but edited to make it look like a multi camera shoot..

Last edited:
A few things to think about:
Video files are big, very big, think about this because trying to load and edit a dozen 20minute clips will be hard work, so keep your clips short.
In a finished video a lot of clips might only be 2-3 seconds long, 10-15 seconds is quite a long clip.
The problem with animals is they will often do nothing then once you have pressed the stop button they spring into life! So shoot lots of small clips, but start recording again asap, think of watching a Heron sat at the edge of the water looking for prey, it does nothing then suddenly springs into action, how long would you have to film to get that shot? You might shoot for 10-15mins and get 3-4 seconds of action, stop/start would break that down into 1 minute clips which are more managable.

To stop the video looking too choppy create a story, film the whole walk and break in down in editing. What makes a choppy look is when it jumps from one point to another without showing (even just briefly) the journey to get from point A to B.
Example: The dog getting out the car followed by the dog jumping in the sea which is half a mile away would give a choppy look. The dog getting out the car, its lead being put on, you both walk away, a shot of the area your walking through, more shots of the walk with the dog or both of you in it, arriving at the beach, the lead being taken off, the dog running towards the sea, then the dog jumping in the sea, coming out, shaking itself, running along the beach........................ the more shots you get that tell the story the less choppy it will look.
You'll need a tripod and have to walk back and forwards a few times to get the shots but the finished video will be something you'll enjoy watching and tells a story much better than random clips put together.

Film the dog from different angles, film from low down a lot to give the dogs point of view, get wide shots showing the surroundings, get medium shots, get close up shots where the dog fills the frame, and also extreme close ups.
Its all really how much effort you want to put in, the more clips and variety of clips you get the better the finished film will be, it will take time but your dog will love it as their normal 1hr walk will now take 2-3hrs

When you edit, watch each clip, is there something of interest in each clip? You might find that in a 1 minute clips there is a 3 second interesting bit, use that cut the rest.
And try not to zoom in and out, it looks really bad, same for fast panning.

I might be wrong but the R7 will shoot 4K at 60fps and 1080 at 100fps. Shooting at 60fps will only give you just over half speed for slow motion, where 100fps will give you a quarter speed clip.
If you are going to shoot slow-mo then just make sure its a good scene, running through water looks great, if your dog is well trained lie down on the floor with your wife behind you calling the dog so it runs to her and jumps over you, that will look good in normal speed or even better in slow-mo.
I did see a clip recently where the camera was on a long selfie stick (or monopod) and there was cheese hanging from the front of the camera and it was moved just quick enough to stop the dog from grabbing the cheese, looked great in slow-mo.

Take lots of small clips 30sec to 1 min, expect to come home with an hours footage which will make a fairly good 5min video, yes you will delete that much.
Thank you you for taking the time to write such an in-depth and really helpful reply.
I am going to give it a go with in the next couple of weeks or so. I'm sure the first attempt won't be a Spielberg classic, but I'm hoping the more I did it the better I'll become.
Thanks again.

This sounds like a lot of fun. How about “a day in the life” style movie capturing their characters and the things they like to do? I would film it at dog’s eye level. If you have a GoPro or similar strap it on them to capture the dogs own view too?
Thanks Tim
I'm fortunate that I live on a 100 acre country estate (not mine, I just live and work there). So I have lots of access to fields and woods to film in.

As an example of editing clips perhaps a shot of the dog running towards you, then cut to a shot of the dog running way from you. Doesn't have to be the same incident, just think imaginatively. I did a fil about an Autocoach run on the Watercress Line. All shot with a single camera, but edited to make it look like a multi camera shoot..
Thanks for including your clip, it's all good advice.

Video is very differant to stills and much more time consuming than you might expect.
Audio is often trikky whcih may explain why so many videos have mood music slapped over them. You might want to use a separate audio recorder, you might also want to use that to recorded naration in post.
It migt be fun to get an action cam and put it on your dogs collar(s) for a differant aproach.
For a story telling video short clips are better. Try and watch a tv programe or better yet adverrt and see how often the scene changes, how there is often one dominant colour, how lens choice affects the mood of the shot etc.

Get some external hard drives for storeage and decide early on how you will file and catalouge your clips and final projects. You can thank me latter.

Video files are big, very big
Like space then. Yes, I know where my towel is.

Audio is very important, it doesn't matter how good your shots are if the sound is bad you won't like the result. You can get away with some iffy clips if the sound is good in a music video.

I'm watching "Dawn of the planet of the apes" on TV at the moment. I've been counting seconds from each time the picture changes. Most clips are around 10sec, the longest 14, the shortest 1. That's a two hour forty motion picture made up of clip after clip after clip. I can't really imagine how I would taking 150 clips to make a 25 min YouTube video (with 10sec per clip).
The film audio runs across the pictures and provides continuity.

I'm watching "Dawn of the planet of the apes" on TV at the moment. I've been counting seconds from each time the picture changes. Most clips are around 10sec, the longest 14, the shortest 1. That's a two hour forty motion picture made up of clip after clip after clip. I can't really imagine how I would taking 150 clips to make a 25 min YouTube video (with 10sec per clip).
The film audio runs across the pictures and provides continuity.

Its not just 150 10 second clips, you'll shoot up to 30-40 seconds (possibly longer) and take your 10sec clip from that. I watch a documentary film maker on YT, he claims for a doc you normaly end up shooting 100minutes just to get 1 minute of footage (he works for National Geographic and others so i guess he knows) but thats just following someone/something around filming till they do something thats worth using, i would guess in wildlife films you would also shoot hours and hours just to get a few minutes of interesting behaviour.
Imagine the work the editor has to create a 1hr wildlife program from about 100hrs of footage, pulling a 3-5 second clip from 2mins of footage a few 100 times

The length of the clip affects the feel of pace of a film, longer clips give a more gentle effect, I've noticed on TV 25 secs is the max. Shorter clips give more pace like a thriller for example, or you want to introduce some tension.

The length of the clip affects the feel of pace of a film, longer clips give a more gentle effect, I've noticed on TV 25 secs is the max. Shorter clips give more pace like a thriller for example, or you want to introduce some tension.

Yes that can make a huge difference, but also these days your target audience can make a difference to your timing, the young generation swipe onto the next video if nothing has happened for 4 seconds, where the older generation prefer things to take a bit more time and are prepared to wait a bit longer to get into it, (unless its one of those videos where you are waiting to see something and it takes for ever to get going, normaly the "we are dropping this onto this to see what happens and you get 1min57 of them holding it and 3 seconds of the action!) its finding the right speed for the people who are going to be watching it, same goes for the music, you can destroy a perfectly good video with the wrong choice of music and people will click next within seconds.

My own ideas tried and tested, What others have mentioned above is their observations have used the equipment or not,

maybe this a is of some help as well having made videos for myself for the past 13 years. I would suggest getting Adobe Premier Elements (I have the 2020 year version)
Ok I know my way around it but it does the job . you can add remove sound tracks or do talk overs , time gaps between video clips and loads more as the usual colour adjustment type of things

The other thing to also think about is sound. Most onboard microphones are terrible and get wind "rumble" that is picking up the sound of the wind blowing across the microphone. What a lot of people do, which I don't approve of, is remove the original sound track and replace with music. To My mind that is just being lazy and not considering how to avoid making the original recording properly in the first place.
Getting a decent microphone , not one of these tiny tinny reproduction ones, but a proper microphone that is up to the job. Then one has to consider getting a directional or stereo microphone. Believe me I have got/tried several most of which are!!!!!! In the end I found the Azden SMX-30v suite my needs direction through to stereo all in one. Not the cheapest but has more going for it than other well known makes. Add a Deadcat (muffler) and most of this problem has gone.
few things on can do is shelter behind something or have the wind on your back. yes there are lapel clip on microphone but I can't comment not having owned one .

Another bonus is using a tripod with a remote stop/start control and for zooming in/out. this avoids camera shake which happens most of the time switching the camera on and off , doing it remotely saves a lot of hassle in post production.
continuity is something else to watch out for, no good taking one clip then another 5 minute later things have moved on ,even cloud formation
This is my rig on a table top tripod.

P1010360.jpg

New issue I managed to overcome was having bluetooth headphones tethered to the camera/camcorder.. So I bought a bluetooth dongle (shown below the handle front light). from mike to camcorder to output port to dongle
Nothing worst than getting tangled up with a microphone chord attached to a camera/camcorder. Another advantage is one can do a self sound check feet /yards away from the camera..

other have their own ideas on making videos these are just things I have discovered to make life easier, such as using a camcorder to save having to change lenses in mid shoot distance being one problem.

Leaving Kochi Japan for example
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox_x3uoDqa8

Last edited:
Back