NHS.

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I'd post this experience as the NHS gets so much stick these days.

Yesterday my wife insisted I call the surgery. Frequent night sweats for a while now, a very dry throat especially if exerting myself..ie gardening..and a croaky voice. Oxygen level a low 88-93. It should be 96-98. Otherwise fine. I went into the summer house with the phone and a cuppa. I called at 0835. It takes calls from 0830. Voice recording. "You are more than 30 in the queue. Your call is important to us..(but even more important to me...lol) If it's an emergency call 999. If not you can book a consultation online.You can leave your phone number and we will call you back when your turn comes" Yeah...lol. I'd had my orders to just hang in there .At 9.15 my wife brought me another cuppa. That message was given a few times. I listened to LBC Radio. At 9.50 I got through. I related my symptons. Hang on, said the receptionist, whilst I go and speak to my colleague. Five minutes later she returned and asked me when I'd taken the oxygen level test. 0815,I said. Off she went again. I now realise this is where the waiting problem is caused. You speak to a receptionist who then has to go and speak to a doctor. She returned and asked if I could get down there at 1053. Yes. I was seen by a clinician,a paramedic. She really checked me over. I was in there for 40 minutes. Said she needed blood samples. She went to see if there was a nurse available to save me going to the hospital. They have a team of phlebotomists there. She returned with a nurse who took three samples. I (we) went home.At 4.30pm I got a call from the hospital to ask if I could go down on Friday morning. Yes,of course. In the meantime, my wife got me to download the NHS App so I could access my medical records to check the blood results when they were available. That was an amzing experience in technology. I had to take a photo of my face using my iPad..After uploading it I had to photograph my passport details/photo. After that, they sent something that scanned my face. That was it. I had the App. This afternoon, I was able to see the results of all but two tests. All is normal. I was able to read the report made by the paramedic/clinician to the hospital,too, all vaccines, all consultations, prescriptions et al. I was surprised the BMA allowed this.They must have come under pressure from the government. The clinician will call me in two weeks. I suppose it depends on what is found at the hospital.

I think that response was pretty amazing. I have to be at the hospital..haematology dept. 45 minutes before the appointment so I won't be able to stay up into the early hours to see the election results coming in which I like to do up to about 2.00am.

Last edited:
I hope you get sorted out.
GP access across the country seems very patchy. My surgery has an online booking system which goes live at 8.00am, if you log in at 8.05 all the appointments are available to book both GP's and Nurses

just had an odd one with my missus took a while and long story but she had surgery on her knee about two months ago and was fitted with a big brace which she has
had on 24/7 and came off the other day , she asked the physio what to do with the brace and he said its a single use item so just dispose of it
googled it and they are over £1600 to buy.....?

We have been able to look at our medical record/tests etc, at our practice for a few years now. Very handy, when I get my yearly diabetes MOT, I can log in the following day and see all the results of the blood tests sent to the hospital. Then about 3 weeks later have a chat with the nurse about it and plan the way forward.

This afternoon, I was able to see the results of all but two tests. All is normal. I was able to read the report made by the paramedic/clinician to the hospital,too, all vaccines, all consultations, prescriptions et al. I was surprised the BMA allowed this.They must have come under pressure from the government. The clinician will call me in two weeks. I suppose it depends on what is found at the hospital.

Healthcare is now intended to involve the patient. Gone are the days when you described symptoms & were examined before being given a result/treatment. Now they want to know what you think and what you want them to do for you. It's bad enough for me with my background, but I can't imagine what it's like for those with no scientific of medical understanding.

Healthcare is now intended to involve the patient. Gone are the days when you described symptoms & were examined before being given a result/treatment. Now they want to know what you think and what you want them to do for you. It's bad enough for me with my background, but I can't imagine what it's like for those with no scientific of medical understanding.
My bold.

Do they ? I just went to the surgery as I've always done. The clinician asked me a load of questions...smoke ?..no....alcohol ?..none...out of breath ?..No.. Swallowing ok ?..Yes...Weight loss ?..No...and so on. I can't recall a doctor or clinician ever asking me what I thought I had nor what I wanted them to do for me ? If they did I'd say.".Make me well again"....:)

Last edited:
My bold.

Do they ? I just went to the surgery as I've always done. The clinician asked me a load of questions...smoke ?..no....alcohol ?..none...out of breath ?..No.. Swallowing ok ?..Yes...Weight loss ?..No...and so on. I can't recall a doctor or clinician ever asking me what I thought I had nor what I wanted them to do for me ? If they did I'd say.".Make me well again"....:)

I saw a doctor just a couple of weeks back with a bunch of issues that are causing me problems. I wish they'd do the exam and then the "this is what I think is wrong" thing like they used. I almost feels like they want to be told what's wrong so they can manage that. The GP was nice enough and is obviously extremely bright, but there are times when I need someone to take over and judge what is real & what just age.

I saw a doctor just a couple of weeks back with a bunch of issues that are causing me problems. I wish they'd do the exam and then the "this is what I think is wrong" thing like they used. I almost feels like they want to be told what's wrong so they can manage that. The GP was nice enough and is obviously extremely bright, but there are times when I need someone to take over and judge what is real & what just age.

Oh, I see. We've had very different experiences, then.

I have no idea how old you are..You say your issues could be age-related .I thought about 40. It's a funny old place, a forum. We have mental pictures of each other. Some help by mentioning beards so you can stick a beard on that image. How many avatar photos are real,I wonder ?

Anyway, I do hope that you get whatever issues you are experiencing sorted out. It doesn't help if that's the response you're getting, though. The days of asking to see Dr. so and so have gone. It's whoever you're allocated to. I saw the same doctor for 30 years until he retired but now it's whoever I'm allocated to for an appointment.

Glad your experience has been good John.

Ours has been patchy. I generally have had adequate to poor experiences with the highlight being prescribed medication unsuitable due to a pre existing condition, a case of not bothering to read my notes maybe. Mrs WW has had generally good contact so far but my late mother was treated appallingly on several occasions leading to lies, stonewalling and cover ups.

I know the NHS is a religion in some quarters these days but I'm in favour of reform and definitely more and real accountability.

You say your issues could be age-related .I thought about 40.

I'll be 63 in a few weeks, but will take that as a compliment. It's interesting how the internet often shows us as we are inside (it can all be an act too) and posters can be in their 80s yet come across as vigorous and aware while other much younger individuals can seem far more staid.

I'll be 63 in a few weeks, but will take that as a compliment. It's interesting how the internet often shows us as we are inside (it can all be an act too) and posters can be in their 80s yet come across as vigorous and aware while other much younger individuals can seem far more staid.

Ah, same age as me. The 60 was a vintage time :D

Glad your experience has been good John.

Ours has been patchy. I generally have had adequate to poor experiences with the highlight being prescribed medication unsuitable due to a pre existing condition, a case of not bothering to read my notes maybe. Mrs WW has had generally good contact so far but my late mother was treated appallingly on several occasions leading to lies, stonewalling and cover ups.

I know the NHS is a religion in some quarters these days but I'm in favour of reform and definitely more and real accountability.
Thank you, Alan. I attended the haematology dept this morning at 1035. A blood sample taken at 1055, saw a doctor at 1130, home at 1210. All tests good. The investigation re the night-sweats and croaky voice goes on but the lymph cancer it might have been has been eliminated .They had to check every avenue.

Btw. Did you see my post in WAMT yesterday re the watch clasp strap that we both have ? You can have the clasp taken off leaving you with a regular so not having to buy a new strap.

just had an odd one with my missus took a while and long story but she had surgery on her knee about two months ago and was fitted with a big brace which she has
had on 24/7 and came off the other day , she asked the physio what to do with the brace and he said its a single use item so just dispose of it
googled it and they are over £1600 to buy.....?
That’s pretty standard, it’s almost impossible to recycle any medical aids, even things that are still sealed or obviously unused. Seems such a waste.

Thank you, Alan. I attended the haematology dept this morning at 1035. A blood sample taken at 1055, saw a doctor at 1130, home at 1210. All tests good. The investigation re the night-sweats and croaky voice goes on but the lymph cancer it might have been has been eliminated .They had to check every avenue.

Btw. Did you see my post in WAMT yesterday re the watch clasp strap that we both have ? You can have the clasp taken off leaving you with a regular so not having to buy a new strap.

Rather than clutter this one up I've replied in that thread. Glad it's not just me :D

beware, needed emergency ambulance one late evening recently and there were none available until almost noon the next day

drove them myself to the hospital where there were no beds available at all

basically nothing was available to sum it up

beware, needed emergency ambulance one late evening recently and there were none available until almost noon the next day

drove them myself to the hospital where there were no beds available at all

basically nothing was available to sum it up

Last year my housebound mother requested transport to attend a hospital appointment - I normally take her, but was unavailable on this occasion. The ambulance they sent to pick her up was from an ambulance depot 100 miles away and meant that crew was tied up for a least 6 hours just to take a patient 1 mile to a hospital for a 30 minute appointment

I’m still waiting on blood test results from September 2023, after chasing multiple times I’ve now given up, some areas might be good but the inefficiency and over-complication of the NHS is just ludicrous

I’m still waiting on blood test results from September 2023, after chasing multiple times I’ve now given up, some areas might be good but the inefficiency and over-complication of the NHS is just ludicrous
Dear me. That's not good. Write a complaint, that should get a result.

"Reform" is vague. What actual changes would you like to see?
My experience has been different. Everyone at my surgery asks "how can I help you today?" as an opener. I describe symptoms, they might ask confirmatory questions or do an examination and I'll either end up with advice or a prescription, or in one case "can you wait outside while I make a call" then being told to go to the hospital immediately, don't drive and that they were expecting me in a specific department.

The specific choices I've been asked to make have only been about which drug I wanted from a list, and those were "here's the patient information about each one from the manufacturers, if you go on this website they have a comparison tool which may help you with your choice, then let us know when you've decided." It's taken a couple of failures which I had to stop as I couldn't live with the side effects, which the hospital were very understanding about, but I now seem to have found one that I can live with.

Every clinician I've seen in either primary or secondary care has been excellent. The same cannot be said for some (but far from all) of the admin.

My experience has been different. Everyone at my surgery asks "how can I help you today?" as an opener.

That's just what I was talking about - it feels like they want me to take charge, rather than for them to apply their wisdom and learning to investigate and help. I don't want to run my own medical investigation, I want trained professionals to investigate, identify what's wrong and then tell me what the best possible treatments are.

"Reform" is vague. What actual changes would you like to see?

My experience has been different. Everyone at my surgery asks "how can I help you today?" as an opener. I describe symptoms, they might ask confirmatory questions or do an examination and I'll either end up with advice or a prescription, or in one case "can you wait outside while I make a call" then being told to go to the hospital immediately, don't drive and that they were expecting me in a specific department.

The specific choices I've been asked to make have only been about which drug I wanted from a list, and those were "here's the patient information about each one from the manufacturers, if you go on this website they have a comparison tool which may help you with your choice, then let us know when you've decided." It's taken a couple of failures which I had to stop as I couldn't live with the side effects, which the hospital were very understanding about, but I now seem to have found one that I can live with.

Every clinician I've seen in either primary or secondary care has been excellent. The same cannot be said for some (but far from all) of the admin.
I do get the impression that it can be a Postcode lottery.

We thankfully have a good GP surgery that has invested in its premises & personnel.

Also, my/our experiences on the few occasions needed with the hospital have been almost entirely positive.

That's just what I was talking about - it feels like they want me to take charge, rather than for them to apply their wisdom and learning to investigate and help. I don't want to run my own medical investigation, I want trained professionals to investigate, identify what's wrong and then tell me what the best possible treatments are.
I interpret it as an invitation to explain my symptoms, not to provide my own diagnosis. What do you think they should ask? "What's wrong?" sounds like an invitation to provide my own diagnosis, so they definitely should not ask that.

I interpret it as an invitation to explain my symptoms, not to provide my own diagnosis. What do you think they should ask? "What's wrong?" sounds like an invitation to provide my own diagnosis, so they definitely should not ask that.

Firstly, sorry if I have in anyway misread your posts....

I beg to differ.......though the type and form of the initial question maybe could/should be better?

I cannot recall the exact initial question I get asked when in face to face with the GP but being asked any phrasing of question about why you are there is 'normal'. Unfortunately, they have only 10 minutes per patient appointment and there have to ways (politely) to get to the point in a prompt and courteous manner.

Only by explaining your symptoms & concerns about said symptoms can the doctor proceed to examine you as appropriate to aid his/her possible diagnosis and hence determine a suitable course of treatment. They are not (should not be) asking you to self-diagnose......too many Google search patients, perhaps, have influenced both patient expectations and Doctor attitudes???

PS believe me I can be very critical of the way doctors 'go about their business'. There was one GP who I refused to ever see because of his manner, methods and diagnosis....he has now retired!

Consider my posts an expression of frustration, but I don't seem to be getting the help I need. My mother had complicated long term illnesses, and increasingly became responsible for managing her own medication until she died a couple of years ago. I've no idea how people without any kind of medical/scientific understanding cope with this, because the onus seems to be with the patient and not the professional.

I waas due to have a telephone conversation (because they are rationing face to face) appointment with my GP on the afternoon of 2nd July (which was booked in early June) - no call came. My wife then phoned the surgery on the morning of 3rd July and they said they would phone me before midday - no call came. At 13:00 I received a text message from the surgery, saying that the GP would phone me before 17:00 - no call came, no explanation, cannot get through to the surgery.
It is a total shambles.

Sorry for your troubles.

I'm the same age as you but luckily I haven't had too many issues. Back injury dating back over 40 years which I can live with (caused by trying to pick up a SMD drive by myself in the days when it took two to lift these things) asthma from the same days caused by exposure to rosin when I was a bench engineer, I've never got over that. IBS and palpitations etc from stress dating back to my later years in computers when I was more desk based dealing with all the problems but apart from that not too much if anything. I exercise most days at home, stretching and press ups and sit ups mostly and walk a lot. TBH I'm expecting more age related things to kick in any day now.

Last edited:
I waas due to have a telephone conversation (because they are rationing face to face) appointment with my GP on the afternoon of 2nd July (which was booked in early June) - no call came. My wife then phoned the surgery on the morning of 3rd July and they said they would phone me before midday - no call came. At 13:00 I received a text message from the surgery, saying that the GP would phone me before 17:00 - no call came, no explanation, cannot get through to the surgery.
It is a total shambles.
That dire! :(

A few years back whilst on holiday in Devon I caught a bug and was (for me) feeling unwell enough to need to see the local GP.

Easy enough to arrange at what to me seemed to be a bigger than usual GP hub.

I filled in the visitor forms ensuring that I made clear I was a visitor not a new resident. . .. you can see where this is going :(

IIRC the GP did prescribe precautionary antibiotics and I felt well enough to drive home a few days later.

Fast forward a short time and I wanted a repeat prescription, which went through ok but the pharmacist was puzzled as to why I was not living in the area!

It transpired that the Devon GP surgery had recorded my visitor appointment as a change of residency. Furthermore they had requested my records transfer which had completed!

Initially I had difficulty getting the surgery to 'own the problem' it took IIRC about 6 weeks to sort out! :(

It is a total shambles.

My experience is VERY similar, not fit for purpose

I have to say, our local surgery is excellent. We moved here 5 years ago and the difference from being in a London suburb is like chalk & cheese. The receptionists are actually polite & helpful, the doctors are well mannered and willing to help. The nurses (I have regular blood tests) are really easy to get on with and helpful, they have even gone and got one of the doctors when I was having a problem. Getting an appointment is fairly easy, you call in the morning, they get a doctor to call you back, and then they ask you to come in if they think they need to see you.

A few years back whilst on holiday in Devon I caught a bug and was (for me) feeling unwell enough to need to see the local GP.

Easy enough to arrange at what to me seemed to be a bigger than usual GP hub.

I filled in the visitor forms ensuring that I made clear I was a visitor not a new resident. . .. you can see where this is going :(

IIRC the GP did prescribe precautionary antibiotics and I felt well enough to drive home a few days later.

Fast forward a short time and I wanted a repeat prescription, which went through ok but the pharmacist was puzzled as to why I was not living in the area!

It transpired that the Devon GP surgery had recorded my visitor appointment as a change of residency. Furthermore they had requested my records transfer which had completed!

Initially I had difficulty getting the surgery to 'own the problem' it took IIRC about 6 weeks to sort out! :(

When we've been in Cornwall on holiday and needed to see a doctor it was no problem until about 6 years ago when things were tightening up. I needed to see a doctor..I think I had a throat infection..a while ago so it's difficult to recall exactly what but they wouldn't see me because I wasn't registered with them. . A new national rule I was told. I had to call my own surgery here. They said the Mullion surgery should have seen me and that there is no such national rule. What happened was my surgery gave me a code to take to the pharmacy. It didn't work in their system. I had to get back in touch with my surgery and I tried again with a different code. The pharmacist was really helpful and she sorted it out and gave me the antbiotics but what a do.

Last edited:
Back