Nikon D40x does not autofocus with standard Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm lens

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Nikon D40x does not autofocus with standard Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm lens. I bought my first Nikon in the 70s. It was a Nikkormat , then I changed to the Olympus OM-1 when it first came out , both with great results. In the late 90's I decided to try digital and borrowed a point'n shoot Finepix with superb results .... so have done digital ever since. So bought my first DSLR in the noughties , a Nikon D40X from Ebay along with an array of Nikkor lenses till I got fed up lugging a big camera bag around and ditched this for a compact ..... which I regret ...I digress.
The question on my newly acquired DX40 is how do I know if the non autofocus is due to lens or body? It otherwise takes great pictures on manual focus and Auto mode still takes care of speed and aperture as well as displaying the "in focus" brackets.

Hi,
Obvious question, have you checked camera and lens are set to AF ?
May be dirty contacts on lens, turn camera off and remove/refit lens several times and or clean contacts, also with lens off camera toggle AF switch a few times !
PS check BBF is not setup !

It SHOULD AF with that combination.

Make sure the lens is set to the smallest aperture (largest number on the aperture ring, probably 22 or 32). Other than that, I can't help much other than to suggest a good read of the manual, especially the Troubleshooting bit. If you don't have a paper manual, I think the Nikon site will have one for you.

ETA a link to the manual download page for the D40X.

Last edited:
As above, there's an A/M switch on those lenses and also the camera can set A/M focus. Both need to be on A/AF-S etc.

No aperture rin to set on one of them.

Make sure the AF/AE lock button is not set to something daft and the AF is not set to manual focus. (Pages 77 and 75 of the manual respectively).

I don't think you can do proper back button focus on a camera like this. You can do something close.

Back