Nikon D750 shutter replacement service advisory experience

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Lately I'd noticed my D750 was back focusing a bit, it wasn't a huge deal but all my lenses need about an extra -10 fine tune adjustment to when they'd been first set up. I'm not sure if it had been knocked in the bag or what had happened but figured it needed a service. I checked online and found that my serial was part of the shutter recall probably explained the couple of err messages I've had a few times as well. I thought 2 birds one stone here new shutter and hopefully a setup after it to fix back focus issues, fingers crossed.

I've seen a few people mention there D750 was in the recall but never seen a whole timeline of what happened and finding anything in the D750 thread is kinda impossible here due to the size. Given as my camera is a grey import from panamoz and there's been a few horror story in regards to nikons service on here I was a bit apprehensive about even sending it as it was essentially working ok but decided to take plunge and thought others might be interested how it went.

I requested the return online which was easy enough got emailed pre-paid royal mail labels almost immediately and the next day Saturday 4th feb I sent it off at the post office.
Royal Mail showed the parcel was delivered Tuesday 7th Feb and Nikon Confirmed receipt of camera on Thursday 9th Feb providing customer details to track repair. Nikon confirmed repair was completed Thursday 16th and on Friday 17th it was dispatched via DPD back to myself arriving today Monday 20th. So all in 10 working days from logging to return which isn't too bad at all even for my impatient paranoid self.

Despite how the opening paragraph makes it sound I do look after my gear and it was immaculate when I sent and it's came back exactly the same way. I shipped it in the original box wrapped in bubblewrap internally with the battery and body cap only, it was returned with even more internal bubble wrap but also the whole box wrapped in three layers big air pocket things in a second box so much better than what several have recently reported and the camera itself is pristine.

Repair Invoice shows following was performed...
Check, test and clean equipment.
Fit new spare parts.
Firmware upgrade to the latest version.
Thank you for returning your D750. Following a full inspection, we have replaced the shutter unit to ensure that the camera meets our highest quality standards. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this has caused you. Whilst the camera was with us, as a gesture of goodwill, a Nikon engineer has carried out a free full service including a thorough sensor clean and we hope that you will now be able to continue enjoying your D750.

The sensor was clean anyway as far as I could tell it still is. The few small flecks that were visible through the viewfinder, I think on the mirror, are gone and testing quickly with my 85mm at 1.8 focusing is nailed with fine tune off when before sending it needed -13 though I'll do the dot tune method again on all my lenses this weekend to get them as good as possible. So all in I'm pretty happy. Obviously I'm not suggesting this means it's impossible to have an issue but for anyone who needs to deal with this issue it certainly seems to have been a smooth process and worthwhile for me.

I still have my D750 to send off but as its working perfectly and Ive heard too many bad stories I keep putting it off. Its good to hear a good one and quick turn around too.

Lately I'd noticed my D750 was back focusing a bit, it wasn't a huge deal but all my lenses need about an extra -10 fine tune adjustment to when they'd been first set up. I'm not sure if it had been knocked in the bag or what had happened but figured it needed a service. I checked online and found that my serial was part of the shutter recall probably explained the couple of err messages I've had a few times as well. I thought 2 birds one stone here new shutter and hopefully a setup after it to fix back focus issues, fingers crossed.

I've seen a few people mention there D750 was in the recall but never seen a whole timeline of what happened and finding anything in the D750 thread is kinda impossible here due to the size. Given as my camera is a grey import from panamoz and there's been a few horror story in regards to nikons service on here I was a bit apprehensive about even sending it as it was essentially working ok but decided to take plunge and thought others might be interested how it went.

I requested the return online which was easy enough got emailed pre-paid royal mail labels almost immediately and the next day Saturday 4th feb I sent it off at the post office.
Royal Mail showed the parcel was delivered Tuesday 7th Feb and Nikon Confirmed receipt of camera on Thursday 9th Feb providing customer details to track repair. Nikon confirmed repair was completed Thursday 16th and on Friday 17th it was dispatched via DPD back to myself arriving today Monday 20th. So all in 10 working days from logging to return which isn't too bad at all even for my impatient paranoid self.

Despite how the opening paragraph makes it sound I do look after my gear and it was immaculate when I sent and it's came back exactly the same way. I shipped it in the original box wrapped in bubblewrap internally with the battery and body cap only, it was returned with even more internal bubble wrap but also the whole box wrapped in three layers big air pocket things in a second box so much better than what several have recently reported and the camera itself is pristine.

Fit new spare parts.
Thank you for returning your D750. Following a full inspection, we have replaced the shutter unit to ensure that the camera meets our highest quality standards. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this has caused you. Whilst the camera was with us, as a gesture of goodwill, a Nikon engineer has carried out a free full service including a thorough sensor clean and we hope that you will now be able to continue enjoying your D750.

The sensor was clean anyway as far as I could tell it still is. The few small flecks that were visible through the viewfinder, I think on the mirror, are gone and testing quickly with my 85mm at 1.8 focusing is nailed with fine tune off when before sending it needed -13 though I'll do the dot tune method again on all my lenses this weekend to get them as good as possible. So all in I'm pretty happy. Obviously I'm not suggesting this means it's impossible to have an issue but for anyone who needs to deal with this issue it certainly seems to have been a smooth process and worthwhile for me.
I'm returning my D750 on the strength of this even though there are no faults. It was bought from Panamoz, do you have to send proof of purchase, i cant fimd any? and are there any accessories you have to send with it? I was going to remove the battery and just attach the body cap?

I still have my D750 to send off but as its working perfectly and Ive heard too many bad stories I keep putting it off. Its good to hear a good one and quick turn around too.

I felt the same way about mine Rob,had nothing major on in February and wit the focusing thing just thought if I'm going to do it niws best time. I was actually gonna do it in January but took a few weeks to decide as was worried about turn around time and getting it back worse than I sent it after some stories. Glad I did it now though, just remember to save your camera settings to the SD card before you send it away.

Last edited:
I'm returning my D750 on the strength of this even though there are no faults. It was bought from Panamoz, do you have to send proof of purchase, i cant fimd any? and are there any accessories you have to send with it? I was going to remove the battery and just attach the body cap?

They only need proof of purchase for warranty repairs. When you request the return online it asks you to specify what you are returning I chose to include battery and body cap but you tick boxes to select what you're sending and its displayed on the returns form so they know. You dont need to include anything but id send at least the bidy cap. I just selected quite only and wrote in details rerurning for service advisory.

If there's no issues at all its maybe worth holding off a bit until it could do with a service or the shutter count is racking up, not sure how long the service advisory is good for but as far as I know there no end date. Just wanted to share my experience for those who may take plunge.

No idea the answer here... but is @c22w1 going to have any issue with it being a Grey Import?

Fit new spare parts.

Mine had the opposite, went away needing very little fine tune with lenses, came back needing large fine tune, more so with fast lenses. In fact with f1.4 there wasn't enough adjustment. Went back and forth to Nikon who made it worse and worse, eventually agreed to swap it and all's been good since.

Just jumping on this to say if you haven’t already and your camera is eligible get the replacement done. I bought a second hand camera from MPB that had a low shutter count to go to New York at the beginning of the year and other than that haven’t used it much till this weekend just gone where I went to RIAT and while there I started having an issue with the shutter so after a check on Nikon my new(old) camera was eligible for the repair so fingers crossed it fixes the issue i was having. Other than that I’m glad that it didn’t pack in when I was in New York City.

Back