Nikon D800......

Didn't the Canon 7D recently have a firmware upgrade which allowed you to shoot at a higher fps? But what you say does sound true, the image files are huge so it does make sense that it won't be able to cope with trying to process all that data quick enough.

If you want to test the FPS "scientifically" just record the burst sound on your laptop mic and look at the sound waveform in Audacity or another audio processing application.

Good thinking! A foolproof method of timing. (Audition will work too).

Last edited:
well i dont think that matters too much as if it was a substantial increase in FPS youd notice it anyway. Its such a small increase as to be a waste of time testing properly.

I really dont beleive theyd slow it down on purpose. The two options are either the sneaky people at Nikon wrote their software to put the brakes on shutter speed with a view to miraculously speeding it up in years to come. Or the files are 3 times the size of a normal file and consequently just take longer to move about.

I know what my 50p bet is riding on.

Last edited:
Didn't the Canon 7D recently have a firmware upgrade which allowed you to shoot at a higher fps? But what you say does sound true, the image files are huge so it does make sense that it won't be able to cope with trying to process all that data quick enough.

No, the 7d firmware did not increase the fps, it increased the buffer size for the number of raw images that could be taken in one burst.

This is different to fps

well i dont think that matters too much as if it was a substantial increase in FPS youd notice it anyway. Its such a small increase as to be a waste of time testing properly.

I really dont beleive theyd slow it down on purpose. The two options are either the sneaky people at Nikon wrote their software to put the brakes on shutter speed with a view to miraculously speeding it up in years to come. Or the files are 3 times the size of a normal file and consequently just take longer to move about.

I know what my 50p bet is riding on.

Mine too - the delay in seeing the images on the LCD once the buffer starts filling up proves this too :thumbsdown:

Cool, wasn't sure but I do remember it being quite a big upgrade on the firmware which made a lot of 7D owners quite happy!

Planning on upgrading to a D800 soon [hopefully] from a D90. I will have to get some nice lenses to go with, I already have the 105mm micro VR, and an 80-200, but my tammy 17-50 is DX only. Thinking 24-70 2.8.

It's like waiting for Christmas waiting on the funds for it to come through though.

Have any of you needed to upgrade your desktops/laptops to cope with the massive RAW files? I don't see any mention of that in here after flicking through many pages.

Cagey75 said:
Planning on upgrading to a D800 soon [hopefully] from a D90. I will have to get some nice lenses to go with, I already have the 105mm micro VR, and an 80-200, but my tammy 17-50 is DX only. Thinking 24-70 2.8.

It's like waiting for Christmas waiting on the funds for it to come through though.

Have any of you needed to upgrade your desktops/laptops to cope with the massive RAW files? I don't see any mention of that in here after flicking through many pages.

I've just done the same upgrade as you d90 to d800 and it's such a nice camera great to use and amazing images,
I would highly recommend the 24-70 on the d800 :)
I'm going to have to upgrade my HDD and Ram in my MacBook pro

I've just done the same upgrade as you d90 to d800 and it's such a nice camera great to use and amazing images,
I would highly recommend the 24-70 on the d800 :)
I'm going to have to upgrade my HDD and Ram in my MacBook pro

Lucky you! I've not upgraded yet, still waiting on the funds to come through [impatiently] - But hopefully soon ;)

The 24-70 will possibly be the first lens I match up with it. At present I use a tamron 17-50 2.8 mostly on the D90. I have the 105mm micro 2.8 VR which should be a cracker on the D800 also, and an old version of the 80-200mm 2.8, which I will also hopefully upgrade to the 70-200mm VR II at some point.

yep, yellow tint to it. Never used it though and never plan to.

yea i never plan to use it but i was just wondering about it :D

Lucky you! I've not upgraded yet, still waiting on the funds to come through [impatiently] - But hopefully soon ;)

The 24-70 will possibly be the first lens I match up with it. At present I use a tamron 17-50 2.8 mostly on the D90. I have the 105mm micro 2.8 VR which should be a cracker on the D800 also, and an old version of the 80-200mm 2.8, which I will also hopefully upgrade to the 70-200mm VR II at some point.

if you get the sigma 24-70 as i did as i cant afford the nikon right now i have noticed slight vignetting at 24mm doesn't affect me as its easily fixed in post if necessary, but just to let you know if that would bother you.
ill be upgrading to the nikon version with in the next year or so hopefully :D

good luck with the upgrade if your excited as i was you won't be sleeping :LOL:

i know you will be pleased with it post back here when you get it :D

I'm stuck in one of those scenarios where I have money coming/promised ... but not sure when :/ should have been by now, but, that's life.

It's like waiting for Christmas over and over, not knowing when I can just go ... gear SHOP! :bang::LOL:

My little D90 does me for now, still hammering away on that. But I wont rest until I get that D800!

I haven't had the best experience with Sigma lenses :thumbsdown:

When I shot with a Sony A200 a few years back, I bought a 70-300 'macro' - it choked after a few months, the AF just gave in, had to use it full manual until I sold it on for a loss as a manual only lens. More recently, for the D90, I bought a brand new 70-200 f/2.8 HSM II - rubbish, in my experience. Soft at 2.8 and horrible fringing at 200mm. I traded it for a Nikon 80-200 [old push-pull type] plus some cash my way. I still use that 80-200, wonderful lens, but it is clumsy [Focus/zoom all in one push-pull ring droops when faced down, and no tripod collar, let alone VR]

yea i never plan to use it but i was just wondering about it :D

if you get the sigma 24-70 as i did as i cant afford the nikon right now i have noticed slight vignetting at 24mm doesn't affect me as its easily fixed in post if necessary, but just to let you know if that would bother you.
ill be upgrading to the nikon version with in the next year or so hopefully :D

good luck with the upgrade if your excited as i was you won't be sleeping :LOL:

i know you will be pleased with it post back here when you get it :D

if you won't miss the 4mm you can also go for the older nikon 28-70 F2.8 (the beast) which is built like a tank and tac sharp!

Being unable to resist buying it new at under £2k, I caved in and have already fallen in love. The video quality is just lovely (much better than D3s) and the resolution really reveals poor technique ;)

I do have one massive gripe though (posted on nikoncafe about it and have now emailed Nikon): VR is now activated with the AF-On button, not just the shutter release half depressed. Not only have they changed that, but they also haven't given any way of reverting to how it works on D700 / D3 / D3S. :thumbsdown:

There are lots of other "improvements" like exposure compensation going round the other way, but at least those are user-definable in the menus whereas the VR is not.

So I love the camera, but the VR/AF thing is really bugging me :razz:

tfboy said:
Being unable to resist buying it new at under £2k, I caved in and have already fallen in love. The video quality is just lovely (much better than D3s) and the resolution really reveals poor technique ;)

I do have one massive gripe though (posted on nikoncafe about it and have now emailed Nikon): VR is now activated with the AF-On button, not just the shutter release half depressed. Not only have they changed that, but they also haven't given any way of reverting to how it works on D700 / D3 / D3S. :thumbsdown:

There are lots of other "improvements" like exposure compensation going round the other way, but at least those are user-definable in the menus whereas the VR is not.

I've not noticed the vr thing on mine?

Last edited:
Hi James, I've noticed it with the 70-200 vr 1 lens. I'll try it with my other VR lenses - maybe the behaviour varies?

The cheap purchase price is from Dixons duty free at LHR of all places :)

But you can always disable VR with the lens switch though, right?

Plenty of people (like me) use the AF-ON button for rear-button focusing, so that's a good thing for me.

But you can always disable VR with the lens switch though, right?

Plenty of people (like me) use the AF-ON button for rear-button focusing, so that's a good thing for me.
True, but when I want VR, I want it to activate just before I take the photo. When using AF-C, I wished VR didn't kick in. Before, that was how it worked but that's no longer the case.

There are two issues for me:
1. As soon as I start focusing, VR kicks in which means by the time I want to take the shot, I'm already at a limit of what VR can compensate for.
2. When doing a lot of tracking in AF-C, you're now constantly using VR which will have a big effect on battery life.

Using the switch on the lens isn't an option when you're tracking subjects.

When tracking subjects you would always have VR off no? I would. As You're going to be at a high shutter speed to 'freeze' them in action once you catch up on them.

Apologise in advance.

Just got myself a D800 recently and rather than going through 43 pages of posts for the information I'm after but can someone confirm whether the Nikon 24-120mm F4.0 G lens a full frame or cropped?

Cheers

It's for full frame.

I've seen two or three stunning examples but otherwise few and far between as you say.

There are a lot of great pictures on the fredmiranda forum and a very good example of what can be pulled post, due to the great DR on the canon digital photography forum(not sure if I'm allowed to like to these.)

Im getting a real urge to upgrade,not cause I need to but cause I can.
Since release ive been very much on the wall with the d800, and recently looking at the 5dmk3 it seems like it may be a better all rounder,then I find the above forums

How are users that moved from the d700 finding this, especially in regards to high iso.
doesnt seem to be much feed back from users or pictures being posted on this forum

Hi iso- as good as, if not slightly better then the d700. You lose detail of course, but I'm happier at 6400 with a d800 then I ever was with a d700

I've seen two or three stunning examples but otherwise few and far between as you say.

Thats cause we'd rather take photos ;) then post them here

From my small amount of playing, I'd say the high ISO of the D800 is much better than the D700.

Also, with the higher resolution, it's a finer kind of noise and there isn't too much horrible chroma in it - it looks very much like fine film grain. I'll dig out a few examples if you like :)

Unfortunatley, my first trial shots of more interesting subjects have been cleared off my PC.
So if you can excuse me for some more boring subjects:
at ISO 800: (click for full res)

at ISO 3600: (click for full res - 11MB file)

To mirror other comments ISO6400 in a dark club with a touch of flash works great on the D800 without any post processing on the JPG. Resizing that ISO6400 shot down to D700 12mp almost removes it all too so a like for like between D700 at 12mp and D800 down samples is dramatic ... and the D700 was a nailer to begin with!

7759805746_0cced917e3_b.jpg

Sample from my D800 (plus a link to the hi-res)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/inkiboo/7759805746/sizes/o/in/photostream/

That is a very nice shot Gerard, I like the whole series of it on your flickr.

Was that taken with a Sigma 70-200?

Back