Nikon D800......

Looks to have come down a bit on amazon. Still the same in briscks & mortar stores over here. €2999 [£2379] with €210 cash back if you buy a new lens along with.

There are a lot of great pictures on the fredmiranda forum and a very good example of what can be pulled post, due to the great DR on the canon digital photography forum(not sure if I'm allowed to like to these.)

Im getting a real urge to upgrade,not cause I need to but cause I can.
Since release ive been very much on the wall with the d800, and recently looking at the 5dmk3 it seems like it may be a better all rounder,then I find the above forums

There is some criticism too and a reference to Tom Hogan not recommending the camera now because of the focussing issue.
Anyone seen any mention of the focus problem in any of the monthly/weekly mags.
I have not seen a mention of it which is a bit odd.

well everyone knows about it so i dont think people need the confirmation from mags. If not being able to use the focus point is an issue and you dont want to wait while its sent off then , i agree, dont get one. Otherwise, go for it :) The only time ive used that focus point is to check wether i had the problem or not. If im shooting portraits i use the right most point since thats the way i hold my camera.

I read Tom's post that time when he withdrew support and it sounded like a real dummy out of the pram moment from him, although he had some valid points. Didnt he retract a certain amount at a later post though and showed more support for the camera? I tend to take bloggers posts with a pinch of salt and use my own experiences to make my mind up.

Which stores?? Because it hasn't over in Ireland. And we usually get robbed long before you lot in the UK.

Tom hogan. Just like any other blogger it reviewer. People hang way too much in their word. I'll stick to dxo mark with this one. It crushes all competition. The 5D3 doesn't even come close. It seems mostly people fiddling about with video are after that one.

Which stores?? Because it hasn't over in Ireland. And we usually get robbed long before you lot in the UK.

Tom hogan. Just like any other blogger it reviewer. People hang way too much in their word. I'll stick to dxo mark with this one. It crushes all competition. The 5D3 doesn't even come close. It seems mostly people fiddling about with video are after that one.

The best sensor in the world doesn't matter if the autofocus is gimped. I can see why they aren't tripping over themselves to recommend it as if they just glossed over the problems that'd be worse. I'd trust Nikon to sort it out though, eventually.

I've only heard about 3 cases online of focusing problems. Where tonnes of 5D's had to be called back because of light leaks.

I've only heard about 3 cases online of focusing problems. Where tonnes of 5D's had to be called back because of light leaks.

Everyone I know who had a D800 sent them back

Everyone I know who had a D800 sent them back

I had my D800 delivered from Amazon UK in June, this has no problems with autofocus and I am absolutely delighted with it - what a camera!

It is the nature of the internet that in general the happy customers do not post online about the lack of problems, it will always be the people who have problems that post online about it, thereby helping to create a potentially distorted view.

I had my D800 delivered from Amazon UK in June, this has no problems with autofocus and I am absolutely delighted with it - what a camera!

It is the nature of the internet that in general the happy customers do not post online about the lack of problems, it will always be the people who have problems that post online about it, thereby helping to create a potentially distorted view.

I don't disagree with you. Some of these problems will be for the pixel peep brigade or pro's that know how they like a camera to perform. Undoubtedly there were problems but i don't see what the fuss is if the manufacturers put it right.

All manufacturer's new models have issues, it's how they deal with it that counts. Leica had a big problem related to SD card reading a while back. Not many heard of it, because neither the Canon or Nikon heads cared. It wasn't a major mess up by their 'bitter rivals' Simple. The hype gets pushed by fans of one side or another.

Last edited:
thats not really a representative sample...............you sure it wasn't user error? :p

It's not a stellar lens on even modest MP sensors that are full frame. It was a lens in need of updating for full frame so using it on a sensor as demanding as a D800 is surprising.

It's not a stellar lens on even modest MP sensors that are full frame. It was a lens in need of updating for full frame so using it on a sensor as demanding as a D800 is surprising.

You've been reading DP review pixel peeping haven't you? :LOL: It needed updating because of light fall off to the corners wide open, nothing else. I think Inkiboo's photo speaks for itself. It was and still is a great lens

You've been reading DP review pixel peeping haven't you? :LOL: It needed updating because of light fall off to the corners wide open, nothing else. I think Inkiboo's photo speaks for itself. It was and still is a great lens

No, but I subscribe to Lloyd Chambers site and have the 70-200mm VR II if that matters? I would say the VR I has had its day, I wouldn't describe it as great either, maybe if you shoot DX then yeah. The earlier pic is ok, not exactly showing what the D800 is capable of though.

No, but I subscribe to Lloyd Chambers site and have the 70-200mm VR II if that matters? I would say the VR I has had its day, I wouldn't describe it as great either, maybe if you shoot DX then yeah. The earlier pic is ok, not exactly showing what the D800 is capable of though.

I agree the VR 2 is a great improvement. But TBH you seem to be passing authoritative comment on a camera/lens combo you've never used.

I don't go out and shoot to show what the D800 can do; I go out and shoot. Sometimes it is with a D800, sometimes with a D4, sometimes a D60 and even sometimes with a F5.

The 70-200 VR1 is more than adequate on a D800 and I believe out of the two of us, one has shot with that combination and one has not.

All manufacturer's new models have issues,

I would say some, not all. ;)

Some that have problems can be minor niggles, or major problems, and how much publicity they get depends on the severity of the problem, the cost of the camera, and what needs to be done to fix it. :shrug:

Some of the biggest recent releases have had quite major problems, the Canon 5DIII, 1DX and the Nikon D800 and D4. :bonk:

Given the prices of those cameras, and being aimed at Pro's who would expect them to work out of the box, they justifiably got a lot of publicity. :shrug:

What big issues have the 1Dx and D4 had? I must have missed out on those ones.

The 5dIII didn't have a problem as such...... it only affected some cameras and then only in extreme circumstances.....how it was found out....gawd only knows.

The last debacle with the canon 1diii was a terrible episode much more akin to the d800 probs but thankfully both companies realise the issue and had/are resolving it.

What big issues have the 1Dx and D4 had? I must have missed out on those ones.

:LOL: Don't go near the internet much then! :LOL:

Firstly the 1DX was delayed for many months, and when it did go on sale there was a problem whereby if you used the Spot Meter in low light (I think) the camera froze. :eek: It is hopefully fixed with the latest firmware update.

Some D4/D800 cameras were freezing up, there was also a green cast on the LCDs. Although Nikon said it was not a problem, but a more accurate LCD.

And just to complete the set, with the 5DIII, the metering can be affected by the LCD being on, light leaking into the metering sensors, in very dark circumstances. :shrug:

Lots of people are making lots of lovely pictures with those cameras though. ;) :LOL:

I don't go out and shoot to show what the D800 can do; I go out and shoot. Sometimes it is with a D800, sometimes with a D4, sometimes a D60 and even sometimes with a F5.

The 70-200 VR1 is more than adequate on a D800 and I believe out of the two of us, one has shot with that combination and one has not.

But why would I shoot with the VR I when I have used the superior VR II on a D800? It wouldn't make sense to use a lens I wasn't impressed with on a 12MP camera on a 36MP one.

:LOL: Don't go near the internet much then! :LOL:

Firstly the 1DX was delayed for many months, and when it did go on sale there was a problem whereby if you used the Spot Meter in low light (I think) the camera froze. :eek: It is hopefully fixed with the latest firmware update.

Some D4/D800 cameras were freezing up, there was also a green cast on the LCDs. Although Nikon said it was not a problem, but a more accurate LCD.

And just to complete the set, with the 5DIII, the metering can be affected by the LCD being on, light leaking into the metering sensors, in very dark circumstances. :shrug:

Lots of people are making lots of lovely pictures with those cameras though. ;) :LOL:

Only every day ;)

I watched videos on the green tint issue, and tbh, I think people were highly exaggerating. Being held up is not a camera issue. The metering one would be, I hadn't heard that. But then I don't actually spend all day every day looking these things up :D Plenty of actual shooting and photo processing to be done.

I'd take ANY one of the latest big 4, hand an' all :D gladly. If someone offered me a 5D MK III right now and said, only catch is you have to go with Canon from here on. I'd say cheers, what L lens should I get first! ;)

But why would I shoot with the VR I when I have used the superior VR II on a D800? It wouldn't make sense to use a lens I wasn't impressed with on a 12MP camera on a 36MP one.

It does make me laugh seeing people who have no idea talking about lenses.

The VR I may be 'more than adequate' for you, but then again you did say:

I don't go out and shoot to show what the D800 can do

Go read Lloyd Chambers site, I think he did a free article entitled 'Mush in the corners' about the VRI about 4 years ago.

I should have the funds for this baby some time next week. It's like waiting for Christmas! :D

Blimey, I didn't realise the D4 had 'major issues'. I feel left out now. :crying: No green cast, no freezing.
I paid good money for this camera. I want the same as everyone else!! :) I do wish manufactureres would treat us all the same. :D :LOL: :LOL:

Kev.

Blimey, I didn't realise the D4 had 'major issues'. I feel left out now. :crying: No green cast, no freezing.
I paid good money for this camera. I want the same as everyone else!! :) I do wish manufactureres would treat us all the same. :D :LOL: :LOL:
Kev.

Yeah, same here... nothing wrong with my D4 OR D800... Swizz! :LOL:

Here's my first attempt at a bird on the wing with the D800 and 70-200 VR1:

Kestrel_tp.jpg

Not bad imho for a crop of about 1/3rd of the shot, with a camera that doesn't autofocus according to lots of internet experts!

Last edited:

Kestrel_tp.jpg

Not bad imho for a crop of about 1/3rd of the shot, with a camera that doesn't autofocus according to lots of internet experts!

Very impressed with that. Even more glad I ordered a D800 yesterday (y)

James J said:
Which model you getting and where are you buying it from? I'm interested in seeing if the AF issue has been ironed out by now!

I am considering the E, and decided to buy in Dublin. Easier sort any issues, if any arise. They have cash back deals on right now if you buy one and also on certain lenses. 24-70 will be my first. I have the 105 micro already. Will search the used sites later for a 70-200.

I will report if I have any problems. Tbh, the far left AF point wouldn't bother me. I can't think of many times I've ever used it on my current D90.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments Keith and Dougie, and you will enjoy the camera Dougie, it's amazing!

Kestreltp.jpg

Have you checked for the AF problem?

Have you checked for the AF problem?

I did think about it, but what if I find I have a problem? I'll probably worry myself silly instead of taking photos! Do you have the problem with your D800?

I've had the camera since May and it has given me some lovely pictures that I am very happy with, but I haven't yet started the brick wall and target shots.

A lot of my photography is done with the camera tripod mounted, using timer delay and mirror-up, and focused with live view, in which case the auto-focus issue will not present itself.

Taking hand-held shots using auto-focus, I get a similar rate of keepers to my D700, and as the new camera is said to need more care than the D700, then that's fine by me.

Although I do accept that a lot of users may suffer the auto-focus issue, there are a lot of posters who I suspect have never used the camera, but like to perpetuate the issue. What I do think is important, is to fine-tune the lenses to the camera, but that also applied to the D700 and D300 for best results.

Back