Nikon D800......

Just received my d800 : ) and after a quick play I'm not sure if I have the left hand AF issue or not.
With my 50 1.8 it did seem slightly out of focus,but on my 85 1.4 and 70-200 vr2 seemed okay..how out of focus have people been.

also regarding raw files there doesn't seem to be a difference between 14bit raw uncompressed and lossless compressed size both say i can get 400 pictures to a 32gb card this seems a lot,compressed says 588..I expected a lot less.

also regarding raw files there doesn't seem to be a difference between 14bit raw uncompressed and lossless compressed size both say i can get 400 pictures to a 32gb card this seems a lot,compressed says 588..I expected a lot less.

Nikon cameras are notoriously bad at estimating how many images they can get on a memory card. Take a few test images of a scene with a fair amount of detail in and see if the file sizes are different, and the divide by the size of the memory card to give you a better idea of approximately how many images you'll get.

No just Nikon... Anything writing to RAW has to approximate as it will never really know the size of the data. Go shooting it, you will soon get a feel of how many :)

Just read the file size part in the manual and that doesn't make sense to me either.
Uncompressed and lossless compressed are both said to fit 103 pics to a 8GB card,but the uncompressed are unto 74mb and the lossless compressed only 45mb :thinking:

Is this a mistake? what are people normally shooting and how many pictures to a card are you getting with the type they use.

Just received my d800 : ) and after a quick play I'm not sure if I have the left hand AF issue or not.
With my 50 1.8 it did seem slightly out of focus,but on my 85 1.4 and 70-200 vr2 seemed okay..how out of focus have people been.

As far as I'm aware it should be quite apparent. Are you doing the test shot in a controlled environment (ie good lighting, tripod setup and with a lens you know is sharp without micro-adjust etc?)

No just Nikon... Anything writing to RAW has to approximate as it will never really know the size of the data. Go shooting it, you will soon get a feel of how many :)

Imho, I think Nikon are particularly bad at estimating the number of images remaining.

My file sizes vary between 11-13.5 Mb. I don't think I have hardly ever had a RAW file as large as 14Mb in many thousands of images, but even if you round that up to 14.5Mb, then that will still give approximately 550 files on the 8Gb cards I have, which is way more than the camera always says it can get on an empty 8Gb card which is 385. :-/

I haven't noticed other camera manufactuers being so inaccurate. It's no big thing though, just a bit irritating. :shrug:

MarianneJame said:
Nikon D800 is an amazing camera with longer focal lengths, but be prepared for additional outlay if you are a wide angle shooter, as Nikon's wide angle lenses on this 36mp sensor fail terribly.

What a bizzare post. About as wrong as its possible to be. Go away troll.

Anyone possibly offer some help with obtaining a download of Capture NX2.
My D800 came with a plastic card showing the licence key for the software and the website URL www.europe-nikon.com/software from which to get the program.
In the list of software on that site I cannot see Capture NX2, but only the updaters (that require the full version to be already installed).

If someone could point me in the direction of the appropriate download I will be obliged.

Just downloaded it - it has a 'click me' to enter a product key so should be fine :)

mine came with an NX2 disc but i never gave it a lot of looking at, i think its just a trial 30 day version. I'll have a better look later on.

Just downloaded it - it has a 'click me' to enter a product key so should be fine :)

Thanks Gramps ........... did the same and put the product key in. All downloaded, installed and working now (y)(y)(y)

"The old un's are the best" :D

you need to print and run some focus test charts to be sure. With the body mounted on a tripod take photos of the chart focusing using furthest right, middle and furthest left AF point. The left will be noticeably OOF compared to the other two if you've an issue

Looking forward to receiving a D800 from Amazon UK tomorrow. :D

I've previously been shooting with a D200 so I suspect this will be quite a different experience.

HI
Looking at buying this camera and was wondering if the weather-sealing is a damped ('scuse the pun) down version of the D4...also is there a difference between the sealing on this and the Canon 5D M3? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
JohnyT

HI
Looking at buying this camera and was wondering if the weather-sealing is a damped ('scuse the pun) down version of the D4...also is there a difference between the sealing on this and the Canon 5D M3? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
JohnyT

"The D800 is constructed around a rugged, lightweight magnesium alloy body shell, which is sealed against the ingress of moisture and dust to the same level as its predecessor, yet the D800 is approximately 10% lighter than the D700. In the hand the camera feels robust, with a very high build quality.
Read more at http://www.pixiq.com/article/the-nikon-d800-official-announcement#70eQVOTSCtwBI8Gz.99"

http://www.pixiq.com/article/the-nikon-d800-official-announcement

Thanks........but....still doesn't answer my question versus the Canon (or the D4).
JohnyT

I don't know of any definitive comparrison that would help. Probably not much separates them.

On the bus heading home with my new D800E :) they didn't have the 24-70 in stock, d'oh! So I bought a 50mm for now, ordered the 24-70. I already had the 105mm. Can't wait to get her charged up and have a play :)

On the bus heading home with my new D800E

:LOL: struck me as funny!

Hope you enjoy your new toy, don't forget to give us some 1st hand experience and some shots (y)

I don't drive :D only 35 mins to Dublin city by bus. Can't go wrong. I'm a big boy too. Can handle a potential mugger ;) it's not a city bus btw.ore a private coach type.

Once it's charged up first thing I'll be doing is shooting some high ISO images. Might play with the video a bit too. The D90's was so bad I never bothered. Should be a huge improvement. But, Some kind of studio set up is certain over the next few days.

I honestly cannot decide between the D800 and the D800E version. I'd probably be more than happy with the results from the D800 but I know for a fact I'd keep saying to myself "could have got the E one which is slightly sharper for a few hundred more".

My current plan is to sell/trade my D300s + MB-10 grip and 18-200 VR lens for a nikon 105mm VR macro + 50mm F1.4 lens regardless of which body I ultimately get, but its just so damn hard deciding. I love shooting macro and general close up stuff and the D800E is reportedly better for that, yet I also enjoy wildlife photography, especially birds, where I'd probably see moire on feathers. Speaking of bird photography, with the difference in price between the bodies I could put the cash into a longer lens setup, so its all swings and roundabouts!

Any advice?

I highly doubt you'll get moire on bird feathers. I've only ever seen it on man made fabrics, like suits, dresses or shirts. I've seen reviews where they tried to produce moire to test the camera out, and they couldn't manage it.

I went for the E for similar reasons. If I'd bought the standard, I'd always be thinking, "would this have been sharper if I bought the E?" ... and since they slashed another €100 off, I jumped at it. For now I have the 50mm 1.8G, plenty good enough, apparently better than the 1.4 [and who really needs 1.4 with the great ISO performance of these new cams? ] - the 105mm micro, I too love my macro and can't wait to see the detail I can capture with the combination. And I have the 24-70 on order. I'll look out for a used 70-200 I think. It's just too pricey new, and I have the 105 already.

I honestly cannot decide between the D800 and the D800E version. I'd probably be more than happy with the results from the D800 but I know for a fact I'd keep saying to myself "could have got the E one which is slightly sharper for a few hundred more".

My current plan is to sell/trade my D300s + MB-10 grip and 18-200 VR lens for a nikon 105mm VR macro + 50mm F1.4 lens regardless of which body I ultimately get, but its just so damn hard deciding. I love shooting macro and general close up stuff and the D800E is reportedly better for that, yet I also enjoy wildlife photography, especially birds, where I'd probably see moire on feathers. Speaking of bird photography, with the difference in price between the bodies I could put the cash into a longer lens setup, so its all swings and roundabouts!

Any advice?

It would be annoying to get a D800 and later wish you had got the D800E. Also, the 800E comes with Nikon Capture NX2.

I highly doubt you'll get moire on bird feathers. I've only ever seen it on man made fabrics, like suits, dresses or shirts. I've seen reviews where they tried to produce moire to test the camera out, and they couldn't manage it.

I went for the E for similar reasons. If I'd bought the standard, I'd always be thinking, "would this have been sharper if I bought the E?" ... and since they slashed another €100 off, I jumped at it. For now I have the 50mm 1.8G, plenty good enough, apparently better than the 1.4 [and who really needs 1.4 with the great ISO performance of these new cams? ] - the 105mm micro, I too love my macro and can't wait to see the detail I can capture with the combination. And I have the 24-70 on order. I'll look out for a used 70-200 I think. It's just too pricey new, and I have the 105 already.

I'll probably pick up a 70-200 around February time next year. Already got the nikon 28-70 F2.8 (old version of the 24-70) which is tac sharp so definitely don't need to change that until it dies lol. I agree about always wondering if what my images would look like though if I went for the D800.

It would be annoying to get a D800 and later wish you had got the D800E. Also, the 800E comes with Nikon Capture NX2.
True, but I use a macbook air and always use aperture so not sure I'd get the use out of the NX2 program, but we'll see!

Is NX2 any good? I've never used it. I always use LR & CS, but I got a copy of NX2 with the camera. Is it the full version? not just a trial? And is it worth installing if I mostly use LR4?

I think the NX2 is included because it has been programmed to deal with any moire (should it occur) better than any other program because Nikon, you would hope, know best how to deal with their sensors. You also get the benefit of NX2 recognising all the settings used in the camera correctly, Picture Controls and White Balance, and reproducing them when viewing the RAW files.

I think most of the time whatever program you normally use would be fine. :shrug:

And just to add that the NX2 software is a marmite thing, as with any manufacturers own software, you either like it or you don't. :shrug:

Last edited:
I think the NX2 is included because it has been programmed to deal with any moire (should it occur) better than any other program because Nikon, you would hope, know best how to deal with their sensors. You also get the benefit of NX2 recognising all the settings used in the camera correctly, Picture Controls and White Balance, and reproducing them when viewing the RAW files.

I think most of the time whatever program you normally use would be fine. :shrug:

And just to add that the NX2 software is a marmite thing, as with any manufacturers own software, you either like it or you don't. :shrug:

I have always used PSE, but now have NX2 installed also. Never used it before and it appears rather unlike what I have been used to and therefore, awkward. However, I have bought a book on it just as I had to do with PSE to get to grips with it.

Is NX2 any good? I've never used it. I always use LR & CS, but I got a copy of NX2 with the camera. Is it the full version? not just a trial? And is it worth installing if I mostly use LR4?

NX2 is very good indeed. I've got Photoshop & Lightroom and always use NX2 for the main edit.

If you bought the 800E you should have a product key printed on a small card - it's for the full version, not just a trial.

Yup, Just re-checked the box. I got a card with product key. I have a new laptop on order, I'll wait for that before installing. I presume you can only install one time with the key?

Yup, Just re-checked the box. I got a card with product key. I have a new laptop on order, I'll wait for that before installing. I presume you can only install one time with the key?

I've reinstalled it several times after changing motherboards/processors/OS etc and never had any problems activating with the same product key.

Back